So I'm making a conscious effort improve my string muting. I'd like some advice on your muting techniques and what is a good way to practice it?

Here's what I've been working on:

- Using the palm to mute the lower strings and sliding the palm over more strings as I move to the higher strings.

- Using the left hand index finger to mute some of the higher strings.

- I've been playing the pentatonic minor up and down and making an effort to mute as many strings as possible.

Thanks!
I think you are going about it the right way. The only thing I suggest is to practice on even shorter sections at first, so you are literally focusing on just muting one or two strings. Then when you can get that nice and clean, gradually add more notes to what you are practicing.

Other than the two you mentioned, the other technique that goes into muting is deadening a note that you have just played by letting up on it - keep your finger on it, but release the pressure.
Yeah I am working on muting the upper strings but with my palm. Also I mute with my middle and ring finger on both sides when doing legato on one string. And using my fretting hand first finger wherever possible as well.
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 14, 2009,
also, using the thumb to mute the low E can be helpful in some situations.
Best guide on writing power metal lyrics
Quote by ReaperWaits
keep it fast, keep it epic, and for god sake mention dragons.
Play a blues scale and mute each string as you reach it rather than muting thema ll at the beginning. Move your hand across the bridge which each new string and back again so your only muting strings your hitting.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
The one thing I forgot to mention the last time - another useful muting technique to practice is rolling your fingers when you have to cross strings on the same finger. One of the best ways to practice this is to take the minor scale and play it in 4ths - ie. 1st-4th, 2nd-5th, 3rd-6th, etc.
Another thing you can do is while you're picking, use some of your fingers on your right hand to must the higher strings that ring out.