should i change it with celestion vintage 30?
is there a big difference in sound?
i just ordered this amp, and was wonderin...
i dont have money right now, do you think its worth to change the stock speaker?
whats the difference?
it think its celestion gold, or something like that, alot of people say that its crap and that it has to be changed to sound good.
they say that its a big improvement for an amp to change it with a vintage 30.
so whats the difference?
Vintage 30's sound amazing with the right amp. If the voicing of the amp isn't a good match then they can sound bad, like any speaker can.

Generally the Vintage 30 has lots of highs and mids. The DSL401 is already a bright, trebly amplifier, the Vintage 30 may make things too harsh and brittle.

I hope you played the DSL401 before you ordered, because personally I really didn't like that amp. If you like the Marshall sound, you should dig it though.
Last edited by XtAsY2007 at Nov 14, 2009,
i dig the marshall sound.

but a lot of people use vintage 30 in dsl 401, and the sound is good.i guess its a smoother sound than stock speaker. and there is less fizz.
i think vintage 30 works well with marshall amps, and i think with dsl 401 too.
or maybe not with dsl 401?
is there any other speaker that you recommend for marshall dsl 401?
vintage 30 is a popular speaker and almost everyone uses them.
Last edited by scream92 at Nov 14, 2009,
Quote by scream92
i dig the marshall sound.

but a lot of people use vintage 30 in dsl 401, and the sound is good.i guess its a smoother sound than stock speaker. and there is less fizz.
i think vintage 30 works well with marshall amps, and i think with dsl 401 too.
or maybe not with dsl 401?
is there any other speaker that you recommend for marshall dsl 401?
vintage 30 is a popular speaker and almost everyone uses them.

I always thought the DSL401 was lacking in mids and the Vintage 30 could possibly put some of the mids back and make the sound thicker and smoother.

I'd give it a try, but first see if you like the stock speaker. You may be happy with it just the way it is
Quote by scream92
it think its celestion gold, or something like that, alot of people say that its crap and that it has to be changed to sound good.
they say that its a big improvement for an amp to change it with a vintage 30.
so whats the difference?

I doubt it will be a Celestion gold because they cost about £160 new. But there is a video on youtube of the difference between the stock speaker and Vintage 30 of the DSL 401 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bwIwsP-d9g
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
ok. thank you!

i think that video is not a good comparison. stock speaker doesnt sound like that, i think there is a difference in recording, (the quality in recording is different)
not the actual speaker. there is a difference between speakers, but not that much.
Last edited by scream92 at Nov 14, 2009,
Maybe he just used the camera mic and also the compression of putting vids on youtube. But what genres of music do you play?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
i play a lot of genres, bands like guns n roses, weezer, blink 182, sum 41, sometimes avenged sevenfold or bullet for my valentine or ac/dc.

i really like guns n roses solo sound, and rythm too, but i also like kinda modern rythm sound like blink 182.
A vintage 30 is perfect then for that, but it will make quite a bit of difference with tone, a tube change will also make a noticeable difference.
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly
really? what tubes should i put in then? it has 4x 12ax7 and 4x el84

i bought a used amp and it has groove tubes in it. but i dont know how old are them, maybe i should change them.
I would get JJ tubes, as they are good tubes.
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly