Most people seem to say that you should use a pick to hit artificial harmonics but i find this to be pretty unreliable for me. The way i do it is i hybrid pick, and use the fingernail on my point finger to hit the string with the harmonic and the pick for everything else. This nails me a pretty good sound on every guitar ive tried it on, but its nothing like what any of the lessons here describe as proper technique.

to be clear, i DONT hit the string with the pick, only with the back of my fingernail, and as my hand lifts (i hit it like a flicking motion) it gets an extremely high pitched squeal. I can control the squeal by hitting it with different parts of my nail.

To me, its the only way to get an extremely high pitch out of my Stratocaster

Is this proper technique or what?
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
Last edited by battlespud at Nov 14, 2009,
Quote by SilverHammer :O
Who cares if it's proper technique? It sounds good right? that's all you need.

+1

Although you've got me interested: any vids showing your technique? if no, fancy making one? =)
no, i usually dont play songs that require harmonics, really i just use them to screw around with scales and some coheed and cambria stuff. ill make one if i have time though.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
It doesn't matter how you do it, ultimately there's many ways of damping a string at a harmonic node, as long as it sounds right that's all that matters.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by battlespud
no, i usually dont play songs that require harmonics, really i just use them to screw around with scales and some coheed and cambria stuff. ill make one if i have time though.

nice, thanks =)