Hey all,

approaching 3 years of guitar playing and tbh I'm getting disapointed. Currently have 2 guitars and a laney LV300 (2 cort guitars EVL K6 and a G250) and well, I feel that ive kinda wasted my time that after 3 years I still can't shred at intermediate level only can do the odd minor sweep... I have a teacher who is teaching me all this theory and while it is all well and good I can improvise around the cage system at a boring speed i'm just finding it harder and harder to pick up the guitar and find it fun to play... any ideas what I can do?
I gave megadeth tornado of souls a shot and while i can do 3/4 of the solo accurately I just can't do the last shred part at all... so i'm thinking if I cant do this after 3 years of guitar how much more of a waste of time will it be to continue.

thanks,
everyone hits a wall in their practicing. i did once. you have to keep pushing and practice harder. if you're not too interested in really trying, maybe you should give it up
You've only been playing for three years, dude. That's no time at all. Marty Friedman had been playing for over a decade by the time he recorded Tornado of Souls.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
don't give up, persevere and you'll break through the barrier eventually.

also trying to have a more positive attitude will help. watch your (guitar) heroes and get some inspiration to really get involved again.

i would only recommend someone gives up if it is clear that they have zero talent and can't actually 'do' it at all (for example by having no co-ordination or no sense of rhythm).
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
everyone hits a wall in their practicing. i did once. you have to keep pushing and practice harder. if you're not too interested in really trying, maybe you should give it up

hrm, I seem to keep getting intermitten walls appearing which is just a bit of a bummer in a way 'coz when I try and learn one song it might take 3 weeks to learn it then theres a part in that song I just can't do if that's what you mean by wall?
Ask yourself: why did <ou start playing in the frist place? Was it because you thought it might be fun or because you wanted to become some kind of god at the instrument?
I've been playing for about two and a half years and the only solo I've ever succefully learned is (if you can even call it that) Nirvana smells like teen spirit. Not because I wouldn't be able to play any others (I hope :-D ) but because I never tried/try. I play the guiatrr for relaxation and fun, not for anything else.
If you don't think your lessons are doing it for you, it might just be worth giving those up. You can still try learning songs from tabs or, how about writing some (no idea if you do anyway^^)songs.
OR: find a guiatrist who wants to literally jam. I mean no real preparation, just meet up and play what ever comes out of your fingers. And never forget, if your only goal is to be sbdy like mustaine, your probably playing for the wrong reason
Last edited by jjaw at Nov 14, 2009,
Don't give up man. Find some new music you like to play. Maybe put trying to shred on hold and work on easier but just as fun genres and techniques. Maybe get into funk, classic rock, blues etc. That will expand you're playing ability tremendously and learn some scales on the side to build you're shredding ability. It'll come with patience and dedication. The most important thing is to enjoy the music you make.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Dude, ive been playing for 3 years and i cant sweep at all, everyone gets to that point where you feel like your gettin no where

try just going nuts, play what you know and try to have fun (get into a power stance and go freaking crazy)

trust me, it works:P good luck
Hey... Hey guys.... Watch This!
yeah you should definitely quit. why bother playing if you can't shred like Mustaine or Via right?
lol youve been playing 3 years and you're pissed off that you can't shred? do you think jason becker was playing altitudes after 3 years?
Forcing yourself to practice ruins music...

One person I look up to as a muscian in his complete disregard for what anyone thinks is John Frusciante

never practice

but play whenever you feel like it... if thats never, then u should never play
I agree with Imperial. That usually gets me pumped up for at least a day. put your amp on full volume, go into some obnoxiously low drop tuning and then do some metal chords and stuff. full distortion. feel amazing.
Quote by ghostnineone
i got my guitar caught in my ceiling fan today

guitars fine though
I think I can speak for thousands of others...you too?

Playing guitar is a lifelong kind of thing. Have fun with it.
You sound like you are making playing guitar a chore, like there is a test every so often.
Metal is not the end all.
Many very successful artists don't "shread".
Dude there is more to this beautiful instrument than shred. Try some different styles. Maybe shred isn't really your scene...

Put it this way. If you want to shred the crap out of your fretboard you have to stick in some serious time and effort. All the people you idolize on records have been practicing guitar for a hell of a lot longer than you and have been putting in a full day's work of practice each day. Its a job for them. You cant expect to be that good unless you put in the time and effort. I'f you honestly arn't willing to do that then you can't realistically want to be a shred demon.

Good luck with finding inspiration again and I hope you don't quit. You might just regret it one day.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
You've only been playing for three years, dude. That's no time at all. Marty Friedman had been playing for over a decade by the time he recorded Tornado of Souls.

This plus 8 million

Wow
actually makes me feel accomplished that i was able to play everything up to the solo
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I think the best way to get around this is to start recording your own original material. It really helps your mental state when you write a song and recorded it and it sounds really cool, even if it is simple. Just because you cant shread as good as someone else dosent mean you should give up, if we all just gave up because we where not as good as someone else, there would be no musicians left.

You dont have to be the best and greatest, hell, I'm not even an intermediate player and I've been playing over 4 years. But I still keep at it, and every time I write and record a song I learn something new, weather it be playing tighter, and new chord or chord combination, or a new scale, or something about recroding itself.

So try taking up recording some orginal materail that you can come up with, even if the quality sucks, its still there, and still sounds cool.
Quote by MelodicSlap

One person I look up to as a muscian in his complete disregard for what anyone thinks is John Frusciante

never practice

Don't know if you know but John Frusciante used to practice for 10+ hours a day, every day, as a teenager. Among his heroes were Jimi Hendrix and Steve Vai. He learnt to play Hendrixes music and then tried to just play really fast and shred and all that stuff like Vai.

That sounds pretty typical to me, and also he practiced loads and has masses of talent; that's why he can disregard what everyone else says and just do what he wants now.
ha i just glanced at the tornado of souls tab, your doing freaking awesome dude, now learn to play it behind your head whilst bouncing on a trampoline (dont ask) and you dont even care if you cant play the last bit, cos your having way too much fun to care

play hard, rock harder, and getcha pull!!!
Hey... Hey guys.... Watch This!
You know what? Go ahead and try quitting. You probably wont succeed.

I know I wouldn't, because guitar is a part of my life now. When I couldn't play my guitar for a month and a half, I went crazy, and it was such a good feeling playing it again. That's why I play guitar - because it is fun, I enjoy myself, and now its an addiction.
Ok, so quit. Not like playing guitar is gonna miss you, but OH how you will miss playing the guitar.
Understand these words, my friend.
My babies:
-Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer
-Peavey Vypyr 30
-Epiphone Hummingbird
I've been playing for almost 5 years and I've only just learnt how to shred and I'm still getting the hang of it. Just cause you can't shred doesn't make you a bad Guitarist. Last year at College I won Guitarist Of The Year and I couldn't shred or sweep.

Hope you keep on playing! =]
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Another person here asking why you picked up guitar/ what your goals are...
what do you want out of the instrument?

Why do you need to be able to "shred"? And, have you had any lessons/ look up stuff to learn? Practicing may not be the most motivating of things to do, but if you really aspire to try to nail those solos and be very technically proficient, then you need to try different stuff.

It takes a lot of practice and time. It really is true that you get out of it what you put into it.
put the guitar away for some time until you really want play again. I've been playing for almost 6 years and I could'nt shred to save my life even. I just try to find inspiration other places, like blues and classic rock. try playing slower stuff and develop some feeling in your tone. the fast stuff will come with time. keep on rocking and think about what you can do and dont let the other things get you down.
this thread also seems to suggest that being 'good' at guitar = shredding.

I've never had much interest in doing it, it's clearly something fostered by technique and practice. Surely things like complex rhythms, interesting chord sequences, and having a good ear are the qualities that should be lauded in a guitarist (as well), since it's not as simple as just practicing to develop these (though they can be improved by practice)?
Sometimes it helps to take a week long or so break. Also, if you can go to a concert by one of your favorite artists, do it. I have so much more motivation after seeing Mastodon and High on Fire live. It is wearing out a little bit but I'm gonna buy the DVD so I can remember the show more.

EDIT: ^ Great website! I'm gonna start using that
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Last edited by DimebagLivesOn at Nov 14, 2009,
I've been playing for about 5 years I think, I'm not at that level, just carry on, quitting guitar is a stupid thing to do.
Above post may or may not be true.
Three years playing and you can't shred? woo

I'm almost at three years and I can still only barely hold a guitar. I'm probably UG's worst guitarist, but, I still have fun playing.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0

I'm almost at three years and I can still only barely hold a guitar. I'm probably UG's worst guitarist, but, I still have fun playing.

What the ****'s a guitar
Quote by MelodicSlap

never practice

That's bullshit.

You're never going to enjoy guitar if all you can ever do is play some stupid punk shit which follows the same 1451 progression over and over again.

Suck it the **** up, and practice. What else are you going to do with the time you invest in guitar? Play call of duty 8 or whatever? That's just stupid.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
If you don't have fun playing, then quit, it's that simple. No need to announce it to the world.

Quote by V.U.K
That's bullshit.

You're never going to enjoy guitar if all you can ever do is play some stupid punk shit which follows the same 1451 progression over and over again.

Suck it the **** up, and practice. What else are you going to do with the time you invest in guitar? Play call of duty 8 or whatever? That's just stupid.
That is extremely presumptuous. I have been playing for about 7 years and I have more fun playing basic chord-based standards and old classics with a singer than I ever did playing technically difficult material. And I spent 6 months playing in a jazz trio with two extremely skilled musicians (both of which went on to music conservatories for bass and percussion respectively), and yet I never enjoyed myself nearly as much as when I would just rock out to some Zeppelin or Bluesbreakers stuff with some friends or hell even sitting around playing and singing old Simon and Garfunkel tunes with my roommate despite the fact that jazz was about 10x as challenging and demanding (I used to be much better before I started college and took a 2 year hiatus). What is the point of practicing if you don't like doing it? I don't practice all the time and I'm probably an average guitarist but I have a lot of fun playing in social settings and I do a lot of other things outside of guitar that I love such as art, going out, doing well in school, etc. "Sucking it up" and forcing yourself to play is stupid. If you go to like... the Julliard school and your future is dependent on being a top notch player, then yeah, suck it up and practice, but if you're playing for a hobby (ie. playing for enjoyment) then what is the point of doing it if you don't enjoy it?
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 14, 2009,
Quote by ch0

Hell Yea!

That is what really matters.
dude, ive been playing about 15 years and all i can tell you is once you can do what Dave does your just gonna want more anyway. so then you might get discouraged some more. what will you do then. guitar is a life long thing and you should enjoy it. trust me i used to be where your at and like i said once you can do what dave or yngwie does your still gonna want more. there are plenty of people actually that can out shred them. mellow out a bit, take some time off maybe, record some of your own music with some kick ass improv and have fun. dont do like me and turn practice into too much of a job. yes if you want to really shred you should practic hours a day. i have done 10 hour days for years. currently i do about 5 to 8. BUT you dont want to get burned out and hate it and give up on a talent not everyone has. do half a week of shred practice and do the other half just bullshit **** off practice. do some of that <- and youll be set.

oh and it took me and a lot of people i know longer than you did to play Tornado and do sweeps. sounds like your doing great. and to answer someone elses question : No Shred=sucky guitarist. that is a correct assumption. no just kidding everyone should play what makes them happy. look at David Gilmore, he couldnt shred with a grater and a hunk 'o' cheddar but he IS the most soulful guitarist ever IMO.
Last edited by PRS ONLY! at Nov 14, 2009,
Try and stick with it! I can't tell you how many times I gave up the guitar. Just before my son was born I gave it up sold off about 80 guitars and all but my old tube amp and one guitar. When my son was a old enough to play he asked for a guitar I bought him a starter set and I got the bug again. Since I have wanted to give it up several times because styles have changed so much and I am just not as young but I still stick with it. Take a breather sometimes I won't pick up a guitar for weeks and when I do I find I can do stuff I was sweating like it was nothing.

John
It's not so much I want to shred soley I want to be able to carry out these speed executions as well as have a variety of more technically complex stuff than what I can already do... I just don't see it happening, but thank you for the input all of you some very wise words.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
What the ****'s a guitar

I'm putting you in my sig.

I've been playing ahold three years this so and can shred, albeit terribly. I'm still keeping at it, every day. In working up to that point I've become proficient in punk (lol), blues, alternative, and some heavier stuff. I'm really not that great myself after three years, but always push myself to get better. And through this resolve I've become much better.

Oh, and to that douche bag up the thread, you are so damn wrong. I have more fun paying Blink 182 songs than any technical progressive stuff. I can be more relaxed and have way more stage presence doing simple songs than when doing complicated solos. It may be because I have to sing when I play, but all the same, simple punk songs jus trump any shredding genre in funness.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Nov 15, 2009,
I find playing the guitar is about learning different styles of music. This lets you pick up new techniques and more ideas about different ways you can use your guitar. The more different styles you learn the easier it is to pick up new stuff.

Sometimes even with practice you will find you hit your current limits. If you then go off and learn something different and come back to it you often find you can now do it. Playing a very complicated piece at speed is a challenge but some slow pieces take just as much effort to master.

Good luck and don't forget to enjoy it