I have a gt10 and a peavey classic 30.

I've had the gt 10 for about 8 months and bought the classic 30 yesterday.

both run great and I would like to keep both since i really like the effects on the gt 10.

however when I try to run the peavey with the gt 10 through the effects loop it doenst work and i get no sound.

I was wondering if I am doing something wrong..

it goes: g10 send>amp return>amp send>gt10 return. is this correct?

i have plugged the guitar in both the amps input and the gt-10's input and so far I have had no luck.

all cables are monster cables, and they all work just fine, all volumes were checked.

I then decided to try it on my friends crate amp, and had no luck there either.

what am i doing wrong?

while im here a couple of other questions...

when i first turn on my peavey classic 30, for the first 1-2 minutes or so i hear some very slight inconsistent noises almost like slight hums that come and go, its not loud goes away when i start playing, you kinda have to look for it to hear it... is that normal? im guessing it has something to do with the tubes warming up but I just want to make sure.

sorry for all the questions, this is my first tube so I just want to be careful and make sure everything works.
You say when you first turn it on. Are you leaving it on standby for a few minutes first and then turning it on?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

WtrPlyr's hookup is better. You may not even have the loop on the GT-10 turned on. It's switchable. If you want to use the distortion/amp sims in the GT-10 it would better to put the GT-10 in front. Or you could use something called the 4CM (4 cable method) to allow more flexible placement of distortion/wah/compressor in front and FX in the loop.

4CM is....

Guitar -> GT-10 in & GT-10 Send -> Amp in & Amp Send -> GT-10 Return & GT-10 Out -> Amp Return

You need to enable the GT-10 loop and program the FX order.
ill definitely give the 4 cable method a shot, i would like to figure this out first though, you know, the basics. im kinda new at this whole effects order/ effects loop thing and so far i have noticed its an extremely subjective topic.

i had no idea the gt 10 had to have its loop enabled. ill figure out how to do it and give it a shot.
Quote by SimplyBen
You say when you first turn it on. Are you leaving it on standby for a few minutes first and then turning it on?

The peavey classic 30 has no standby switch. i just turn it on and wait 30 seconds or so.
I'm speaking from experience with the GT-8. I assume the GT-10 is similar. FX order is somewhat subjective but most people follow a few general principles like distortion before delay or reverb.
Quote by fly135
I'm speaking from experience with the GT-8. I assume the GT-10 is similar. FX order is somewhat subjective but most people follow a few general principles like distortion before delay or reverb.

gotcha. im gonna try this order right now.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Guitar --> Amp input --> amp FX send --> GT10 input --> GT10 output --> amp FX return

i tried this order and it worked great but i cant put distortion of the gt-10 in front

what if...
on the gt 10 i wanted to be able to use my fx chain and move around the (send/return) behind the distortions and in front of the chorus,delay etc...

im assuming thats possible if i plug it in the effects send and returns of the gt-10 and not the input and output.

i did...

guitar ---> amp input --->

Amp EFX Send ---> Gt-10 Effects Return
Amp EFX Return ----> Gt-10 FX Send

after doing this when I look at the gt-10 LCD screen, I am getting a signal when strumming the guitar, if I turn the gain up on the Amps distortion,the signal is clearly getting bigger. I am also hearing a very small amount of sound coming out of the amp.

but the amp just doesn't play full volume....

i tried plugging in some headphones in the gt-10 with this setup and it worked great

something wrong? it looks like the effects send on the gt-10 is not sending anything to the amp effects return.
If I'm not mistaken, the effects loop on a multi-effects pedal is for effects that are not a part of the multi-effects unit.

In other words, your signal is dying at the effects send, as you're not getting any output from your pedal; you're basically trying to run your amp in the effects loop of the pedal but backwards, if that makes any sense.
im not understanding what i did wrong, but im sure theres no defects and i was actually doing something wrong.

i tried the 4 cable method and it worked fine, ill just stick to that.
Basically what effects loops do is allow modulation effects to come after the preamp so that the distortion from the preamp does not effect them at all. From what I can infer, the GT10 has an effects loop as well so that if you don't want to have to decide where to put the GT10, you can put all of your pedals in the effects loop.

The reason that you couldn't get any signal out of that setup is because your amp was sending signal to the pedal through the port which is supposed to send signal back into the pedal to send back down the signal line. In essence, you went in the correct door, but you never left. You might be able to get signal by running your pedal like this:

Guitar -> Amp
Effects Send -> GT10 Return
GT10 Output -> Effects Return

But I really don't know what will happen if you do that. If you decide to, post results!
The 4 cable method is exactly the solution to your problem. It's the most flexible method that allows use of the any combination of GT-10 amp sims and the amp's preamp, while allowing other FX in the amp's loop. You can put wah and compressor, etc in front as well. The Boss provides one of the most flexible ordering of FX of any multifx, so it's especially suited for this use.
thanks a lot for the help i tried the 4 cable method it worked great! I realized what I am doing wrong but it looks like its all working out now anyways.

thanks a bunch.