So although it's been a nice 3½ years, my acoustic has become way too cumbersome to play. It was never easy to play to begin with, but it was a good guitar to learn on. Anyway, so I need some suggestions on what guitar to get since I don't really know much on acoustic guitars. So, here's some info on what I need: I need an electro-acoustic, with a cut away style. Up to $500, but if you can keep it below that, that's great. I like to play Voltaire, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, John Mayer, and experiment with other styles. So that's basically what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!
I don't know, would it? Hahaha, as I said before I really don't know much about acoustic guitars and what gives them their tone, I would imagine the wood strings, and how you actually play it would dictate the tone more so than on electric guitar. I threw in the styles that I like to play to give people an idea of the tone that I want. But after that I really have no idea what would give me that kind of tone, and what for the money that I want to spend would be my best bet.
you should just go to your local guitar store and try different guitars out man. I just recommended takamine cuz i played a takamine and it was pretty decent.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
Well that's what I'm ultimately going to do, it's just I was looking for some guitars to seek out and play beforehand so I can narrow it down from 100 guitars to maybe about 20.
a lot of what gives guitars their tone is the bracing.

definitely check out the yamaha fgx730sc - it has more sustain and life to it than the lower priced taks and is one of the great 'bang for your buck' guitars.

i actually spent some time thinking about this - not sure why, and everything i say is basically musings. the first acoustic grunge song i thought of is the version of polly from nevermind. what i hear on it is that the guitar has NO sustain, usually caused by a really cheap guitar or an expensive one using a wood with no sustain. my husband, who loves grunge, says that this song was recorded on a martin with REALLY dead strings. the acoustic version of man who sold the world is recorded on such an echo'y situation with an electric playing along as well. it could be almost any acoustic, but is probably kurt's martin, which he usually played.

were any of the guitars used in grunge unplugged songs actually acoustic electrics? back in the day in the mtv unplugged songs they stuck a mic in front of guitars that (as far as i could tell) were not acoustic electrics.

mostly i'm recalling martins that were gloss finished, and they start at well over a grand, although you could get a blueridge entry level for what you want to spend that will sound pretty similar. the blueridge BR-40 is in your price range, although the cutaway version is just above it at maury's - it's not acoustic electric, but the martin that kurt used wasn't, either.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/35958

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/53455
Quote by patticake
a lot of what gives guitars their tone is the bracing.

definitely check out the yamaha fgx730sc - it has more sustain and life to it than the lower priced taks and is one of the great 'bang for your buck' guitars.

i actually spent some time thinking about this - not sure why, and everything i say is basically musings. the first acoustic grunge song i thought of is the version of polly from nevermind. what i hear on it is that the guitar has NO sustain, usually caused by a really cheap guitar or an expensive one using a wood with no sustain. my husband, who loves grunge, says that this song was recorded on a martin with REALLY dead strings. the acoustic version of man who sold the world is recorded on such an echo'y situation with an electric playing along as well. it could be almost any acoustic, but is probably kurt's martin, which he usually played.

were any of the guitars used in grunge unplugged songs actually acoustic electrics? back in the day in the mtv unplugged songs they stuck a mic in front of guitars that (as far as i could tell) were not acoustic electrics.

mostly i'm recalling martins that were gloss finished, and they start at well over a grand, although you could get a blueridge entry level for what you want to spend that will sound pretty similar. the blueridge BR-40 is in your price range, although the cutaway version is just above it at maury's - it's not acoustic electric, but the martin that kurt used wasn't, either.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/35958

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/53455

+1000
I'd check out the Ibanez AEL series, very good value for money, inbuilt tuner and very decent electronics. Also the only guitars i've seen using sycamore, which to me sounds great. But i echo going to try some out, thats the only way to find the right guitar for you
Alder?? What's that? Sounds like a poor substitute for ash to me...