OK so I have a 4x12 with 4 16 ohm speakers, rated at 16 ohms. From what I have read this means it is wired in series/parallel. I want to rewire the cab to 4 ohms, from what I've read I need the speakers all in parallel. Since the cab is front loaded I won't be able to see the 'big picture,' I'll be rewiring one speaker at a time. In the simplest terms possible, what do I need to change?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Wire the + from each speaker to the tip connector of the input jack.
Wire the - from each speaker to the sleeve of the input jack.
Quote by cedricsmods
Wire the + from each speaker to the tip connector of the input jack.
Wire the - from each speaker to the sleeve of the input jack.

Or on + to the tip and one - to the sleeve, and then string from one to the next, right?

Like this:
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Nov 14, 2009,
Nope. The way you drew it is series wiring. The total impedance would be 64ohms. I doubt you have an amp that will work with that!

The + on each individual speaker goes directly to the + on the jack.
The - on each individual speaker goes directly to the - on the jack.
That is parallel wiring and will give you total impedance of 4ohms.
Both methods are correct and will end up with a parallel connection. you just need all the + connections to the tip and the - to the sleeve.

A series connection is done by connecting the + on one speaker to the - on the next to make a daisy chain.

You can't do this a bit at a time as you seemed to be suggesting, just rewire the cab test with the back off at a lowish volume then put the back back.