I've recently come across this beautiful genre of music. I've been feinding Aphex Twin, Bohren und Der Club of Gore and French Teen Idol for quite a bit now. What are your guys favourite Ambient artists?
Talk about Ambient music here!
Old Mortiis, and the ambient Burzum stuff.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
If you like Aphex Twin I'd check out Boards Of Canda. Ott is another one of my favorites, sort of a cross between ambient and dub.
Boards of Canada is pretty good. Brian Eno has loads of stuff to choose from, as he's been making the stuff forever now. I recently started listening to Yagya, an Icelandic artist who is pretty solid, though more downtempo tha I'm used to.

I also highly recommend Solar Fields, his Movements album from this year is fantastic.

It's also worth checking out is the seminal album Chill Out by The KLF. You might also like The Orb (check out the Little Fluffy Clouds single), though I would stick with their first album as their subsequent releases weren't as good. It is also imperative you check out Orbital.

There is a host of dub influenced ambient-type works out there as well, collectively straddling a multiplicity of genres (dub is just so massively influential). Not wanting to inundate you with too many options, will mention the most recent album I've been listening to a fair amount, Third Ear Audio - Third Ear Audio (the well-known psytrance artist Doof is one of the two members). It's excellent.

Other recs are Banco de Gaia (Last Train to Lhasa or anything of his really; the Live at Glastonbury album is solid), Orbital, Children of the Bong (Sirius Sounds), Future Sound of London (Dead Cities or Lifeforms), Kraftwerk (obviously), Exquisite Corpse; can also start venturing into explicit Trip-Hop, DJ Shadow, UNKLE, Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation, etc.

There are many different types of ambient / downtempo, so explore a little!

If you can figure out a specific style of ambient work you prefer, I might be able to help you out with more specific recommendations. Almost none of the albums in my library are marked as "Ambient" in the Genre field, since so many genres have an 'ambient' subgenre, so its hard to think of appropriate artists within such a broadly defined style.

Edit: As an aside, I'd like to add that ambient music is best listened to with a good pair of headphones, so you don't loss the more subtle elements.
Last edited by bajeda at Nov 23, 2009,
1900. Arvo Part. Erik Satie. Stars of the Lid. Brian Eno. The Field.

nice mix of ambient, minimal techno, classical/minimalist.
I love ambient. The atmosphere created is able to draw out so many different emotions and is one of the most beautiful genres out there
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I highly recommend Jon Hassell. He's a trumpeter who's collaborated with Eno. His music is a mix of jazz and ambient but completely transcendant of both so that it is stunningly original. Anyone in to ambient and/or jazz should give him a listen. He released an album this year called Last Night The Moon Came Dropping It's Clothes On The Street (long title, I know) and it's one of his best works.

Also, I've noticed it's pretty easy to find good ambient that's both free and legal. I know for a fact that there is an online ambient label, I think its called Ansiform (at least thats what its listed as on my library) that has a lot of really good stuff and its all for free. I've seen a bunch of other similar things around as well but I can't remember any at the moment.
Quote by Floyd93
Tangerine Dream are great

yeah definitely check them out. stratosfear is a good album of theirs to start with
best EP of the year, even!

that Hassell stuff sounds intriguing. i passed over the eno/hassell record and got ambient 2 instead a while ago; kinda regretting that now.
JES have a lot of ambient music really good
and the remixes too
Hard Rock,Nu Metal,Trance n Hardstyle lover
oh god! Emeralds!

i'm on my first listen to "What Happened" and it is fuzzy and warm and cold and amazing in the same way that Fennesz is.
Since this is up, I'll just tell you an ambient stoery. One time, I was listening to Belong on my MS-1 headphones in a train. It is an open back so sound leaks quite a bit when it goes >50% but it's sorta worth it for the sound quality it produces. Keep in mind, I was trying to mindful of those around me but sometimes you don't really notice how loud it is. Well, for those who don't know about Belong, they create beautiful music through a fuzzy wall of sound. I kept on getting weird looks from an old lady because the sound which leaked sounded like white noise.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Gas and Corentin Emprou are also very good for Ambient. Also b12, although they lean more towards the techno side of ambient techno
i've been looking into getting Konigsforst by Gas for quite a while, but it is so expensive. i don't know if rave reviews are enough to justify upwards of $30.

ordered the new Tim Hecker. here's hoping that Kranky has quick shipping.
Quote by uhh_me?
oh god! Emeralds!

i'm on my first listen to "What Happened" and it is fuzzy and warm and cold and amazing in the same way that Fennesz is.

ohohoho man Emeralds. i got this year's s/t too but i don't think it's as good.
To OP:
Bohren and Der Club of Gore is ambient music? Since when?

Anyway
Dark Ambient:
Kammarheit
Raison D'etre
Lustmord
Owl Cave - Behind The Red Drape (for twin peaks fanboys )
Painkiller - Execution Ground disk 2

Drone/Doom:
Sunn O)))
Gravetemple
Boris
Naked City (the Leng Tch'e album)
Earth
My project: The Celestial Speech (www.myspace.com/thecelestialspeech if you're so inclined.)
Quote by bajeda
Boards of Canada is pretty good. Brian Eno has loads of stuff to choose from, as he's been making the stuff forever now. I recently started listening to Yagya, an Icelandic artist who is pretty solid, though more downtempo tha I'm used to.

I also highly recommend Solar Fields, his Movements album from this year is fantastic.

It's also worth checking out is the seminal album Chill Out by The KLF. You might also like The Orb (check out the Little Fluffy Clouds single), though I would stick with their first album as their subsequent releases weren't as good. It is also imperative you check out Orbital.

There is a host of dub influenced ambient-type works out there as well, collectively straddling a multiplicity of genres (dub is just so massively influential). Not wanting to inundate you with too many options, will mention the most recent album I've been listening to a fair amount, Third Ear Audio - Third Ear Audio (the well-known psytrance artist Doof is one of the two members). It's excellent.

Other recs are Banco de Gaia (Last Train to Lhasa or anything of his really; the Live at Glastonbury album is solid), Orbital, Children of the Bong (Sirius Sounds), Future Sound of London (Dead Cities or Lifeforms), Kraftwerk (obviously), Exquisite Corpse; can also start venturing into explicit Trip-Hop, DJ Shadow, UNKLE, Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation, etc.

There are many different types of ambient / downtempo, so explore a little!

If you can figure out a specific style of ambient work you prefer, I might be able to help you out with more specific recommendations. Almost none of the albums in my library are marked as "Ambient" in the Genre field, since so many genres have an 'ambient' subgenre, so its hard to think of appropriate artists within such a broadly defined style.

Edit: As an aside, I'd like to add that ambient music is best listened to with a good pair of headphones, so you don't loss the more subtle elements.

I like you.
there's a 25 min Burzum song which is probably the most beautiful ambient track I've ever heard. Just so goddamn magical.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
I suppose that symphony of science fits under ambient?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
anyone have any recommendations for ambient stuff? i'm familiar with Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin's ambient stuff, Fennesz, some ambient Autechre stuff, and Brian Eno.

would Eluvium count as ambient?
Quote by romencer17
there's a 25 min Burzum song which is probably the most beautiful ambient track I've ever heard. Just so goddamn magical.

My play count for this is ridiculously high.

Rundgang Um Die Transzendentale Säule Der Singularität - Burzum

Also,

Tomhet - Burzum
Mmm, I love ambient music. You should check out Lemon Jelly and Bonobo, perhaps David Holmes as well if you can get hold of his stuff.
TRANSFORMICE

A realy good ambient band to listen to is Team Sleep,they have an amazing sound and are so versitaile with how they play
I don't know much about ambient but i love the album Harmony in Ultraviolet by Tim Hecker.