Ok, I've been playing about a year now, but unfortunately I haven't spent nearly enough time on theory. Most of it has gone to technique and learning songs that I love. So my question is, I want to someday be able to create my own songs. I want to know the ups and downs of the fretboard and KNOW what I'm doing. So where should I begin? How should I go about learning scales, chords, chord construction, and all the other things? Haha it's like a mystery

Thanks in advance!!
Learn the major scale... I know it sounds predicatble everybody says it... just learn the formula and how to play each key in first/open position.

Try not to look at scale shapes until you can do this.

Then look at the most used chords (I, ii, IV, V, vi) and how to easy find them. Learn the 12 Bar Blues after that.. then come back and ask again
By each key do you mean each scale, played in the first four frets or do you mean just c major, starting with different notes? Thanks for being the only one to answer!
Quote by Unispex
By each key do you mean each scale, played in the first four frets or do you mean just c major, starting with different notes? Thanks for being the only one to answer!

I mean learn to play
C Major
Db Major
D Major
Eb Major
E Major
F Major
F# Major
G Major
Ab Major
A Major
Bb Major
and B Major

in first/open position.

By then you will probably have found other things to do and not need our guidance, but if not.. then do the same thing in fifth position, then in seventh
Last edited by mdwallin at Nov 14, 2009,
Thanks a lot for your help, I'll certainly get on that. Oh, just to be sure.... Open position means that I'm using open strings and first position is in frets 1-4?
Quote by Unispex
Thanks a lot for your help, I'll certainly get on that. Oh, just to be sure.... Open position means that I'm using open strings and first position is in frets 1-4?

yup!
So if you can use open strings, do.
Fifth will test you a little bit because notes like B or F# make you go out of position, which will test you a bit.

Looking up the circle of fifths will help you to get to know the key signatures (how many sharps or flats of each key) which is handy once you know the formula of the major scale and how you figure it out by yourself.

Gimme a bell if you need any hints
First learn the intervals then chord construction then major scale then modes or follow the diagram

Intervals----->Chords------->Majors scale---------->Modes of the major scale-------->Modes of the minor scales