Hi guys.

I've just praticed some pentatonic lick ( 9 of them exactly ) during 45 minutes non-stop. That means that every single second of those 45 minutes, there's been a note played. After that, my finger felt really hot during about 5 minute, after that it's started to cool down.

But my question is : How can people pratice for hours ?

I praticed 45 minutes, and I find it very hard to keep playing. To put you in context, I've benn playing guitar for nearly 2 years, I'm learning kinda fast and I've been taking lesson for the whole time. The thing is that I never truly praticed like that before, as I couldn't concentrate for more then 20 minutes. Today I started this pratice routine, and I want to do this every day.

But how could I do this every day if I find it that hard ?

Is there something I'm doing wrong ? or something I should do that I'm not doing at all ?

Any advice is appreciated, and sorry for my english, I tried the best I could
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
from someone who practices 2-5 hours a day, just keep applying yourself and it'll feel like nothing. And if your just practicing something for the sake of muscle memory- it doesnt hurt to practice in front of the tv every once in a while provided you keep practicing.
I've been playing for...4 years ish.
Basically I don't really learn all of the theory, I just go ahead and play songs. I mean, if I want to learn some theory I'll do it, but tbh a lot of the time I'm just playing songs I like.
It makes it much easier to get some quality practice time.
"Beef, wtf?"
"Like cow, but with sauce"
Where do you practice and how do you do it? Is it like, dedicated, doing nothing else practice? Or are you doing something else?

When I practice, usually I'm on ug or msn at the same time.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by PussyPunk182
Where do you practice and how do you do it? Is it like, dedicated, doing nothing else practice? Or are you doing something else?

That's exactly what I do lmao.
"Beef, wtf?"
"Like cow, but with sauce"
Yeah, and from what I've read in your question you were playing literally non-stop. Most people who practice hours and hours a day aren't playing at least one note per second, ya know what I mean?
Quote by bender424
Hi guys.

I've just praticed some pentatonic lick ( 9 of them exactly ) during 45 minutes non-stop. That means that every single second of those 45 minutes, there's been a note played. After that, my finger felt really hot during about 5 minute, after that it's started to cool down.

But my question is : How can people pratice for hours ?

I praticed 45 minutes, and I find it very hard to keep playing. To put you in context, I've benn playing guitar for nearly 2 years, I'm learning kinda fast and I've been taking lesson for the whole time. The thing is that I never truly praticed like that before, as I couldn't concentrate for more then 20 minutes. Today I started this pratice routine, and I want to do this every day.

But how could I do this every day if I find it that hard ?

Is there something I'm doing wrong ? or something I should do that I'm not doing at all ?

Any advice is appreciated, and sorry for my english, I tried the best I could

You use some common sense..... take breaks when you need to...... practice things you enjoy. When I'm playing music I like, I can play for hours and not even realize it.

Quote by PussyPunk182

Are you suggesting that as a solution?

Personally, I think you should just play the guitar & focus on that. How focused can you be if your arguing with someone in the Pit at the same time?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 14, 2009,
yer most people play liek 20mins - 30mins then stop have a break then start playing agian an hour or so later
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
Quote by PussyPunk182

This time it was only The pentatonic lick, no UG or Msn
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

Quote by d1sturbed4eva
When I play I can play for hours
When I practice I probably play for 30 min at a time

When I play I can play all day long too, that's because I enjoy playing so much

But lately I've seen that I could be playing way better if only I'd pratice. That's why I'm starting with the pentatonic. I'ts easy and almost always sound good. I've been told by my teacher that in order to be able to epress yourself by the guitar, you need to learn the language of music. That's why I know the basic of theory. When I'll be mastering and able to abuse the pentatonic, I plan to master the major scale, along with the major and minor arppegio. After that will come the different minor scales and the 7th, major7, minor7 and dimished7.

I was only wondering if I only 45 minutes of pratice was normal or if I could do better.
It seems that I'm not the only one who can't pratice for hours.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

Quote by GuitarMunky

Are you suggesting that as a solution?

Personally, I think you should just play the guitar & focus on that. How focused can you be if your arguing with someone in the Pit at the same time?

Well yeah. Personally, I work better if I don't shut myself off and make playing guitar a more enjoyable time, Although if I do want to practice a certain technique I'll just focus more on guitar playing than the computer.

And usually I'm doing more of the writing side than practising, which I still count as practising because I tend to make up chords and work out new licks and things; and practice them. Either that or I'll take 10 minutes out to a play to blues backing track on youtube or something.

@TS: Generally, even the most focused guitarist won't spend hours of pure note playing. Practising doesn't have to mean constant repetition with no gaps. Even when I'm trying to speed up a lick or something, I will have gaps between every time I play. Think about what can help, and how you are playing it.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
How many hours you play is not music theory. Talk about this is in the Guitar specific forums.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud