Hey, I'm a 19 year old guitarist and i got a band back in my hometown. I'm out at college 6 hours away but when i get back this summer we want to get the band really going. The only problem is we said that last year and still didn't play shows, just got messed up and jammed all the time.
Soo...does anyone have tips on how i can get going and get the band out playing venues and recording? We have the equipment and talent necessary.
Also with some songs we get too ADD to finish them plus we get creative streaks that lead to new songs we don't finish.
Any advice will help! So feel free to criticize.
i would say just concentrate on making a couple songs, getting them recorded, and giving them to local venues.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
Quote by 7leafvacation
alright, sounds like a plan

Talk to club owners about shows, CALL THEM, and if they say "we'll see" call them again the next week. Be persistent.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Last edited by soundgarden19 at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by 7leafvacation
Hey, I'm a 19 year old guitarist and i got a band back in my hometown. I'm out at college 6 hours away but when i get back this summer we want to get the band really going. The only problem is we said that last year and still didn't play shows, just got messed up and jammed all the time.
Soo...does anyone have tips on how i can get going and get the band out playing venues and recording? We have the equipment and talent necessary.
Also with some songs we get too ADD to finish them plus we get creative streaks that lead to new songs we don't finish.
Any advice will help! So feel free to criticize.

I suggest you don't get messed up. You may have the equipment and the talent, but you (collectively) don't have the focus.

Get the focus and you'll work it all out yourself.

EDIT: For ADD you could try and get some Ritalin, Dexedrine, or Aderall.
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Nov 17, 2009,
I think you should think about your situation. If you're only back for 3 months, this is just enough time to get a tight set of originals. If you do covers you should sort out which covers you are doing ahead of time so everyone can learn. If it's covers a set can be together and tight much faster.

But again, after 3 months you're off again. Not many people would be willing to commit to a band with such a limited life span.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
No offense TS, but it sounds like it just wasn't meant to be. If you're 6 hours away 9 months of the year, you're not going to get to gig regularly with the songs you spend 3 months writing, so the number 1 reason to try is already gone.

Also, just being the guys that get ADD and turn everything into a jam, you don't have the group chemistry to start a good band. Talent and equipment isn't enough, you need a whole group of people that are at a musical level where they regularly finish songs.

Why not start a band at your university instead? Maybe you'll find some people other than the typical, go-nowhere jam crowd.
Thanks for the advice everybody.
I see what you're saying about the chemistry with us being ADD but I've been able to write, at least the parts of songs we write, better music then with anybody else.
I've been jammin with people here at the university but no one seems to be at my level, or share a common interest in the music, or they're just people i get sick of because of their personality(I'm not really stuck up, some people are just douches) or because of their musical knowledge and stubborness. And could never see being on a serious tour with any of these people.
Next year I'll only be 3 hours away in Seattle, which we may split an apartment like we did this summer. In that case we can jam everyday like this last summer.
Quote by guitarvinnie
book shows now for the summer

I think i might do this...I play guitar in a jazz band and we play gigs, without the gigs we would have nothing to work towards and maybe a goal like this could get our heads straight enough to finish songs.
If the next time i jam with the guys we don't get anything done I'll talk to them about sober practices, but till then
Quote by 7leafvacation

I've been jammin with people here at the university but no one seems to be at my level, or share a common interest in the music, or they're just people i get sick of because of their personality(I'm not really stuck up, some people are just douches) or because of their musical knowledge and stubborness. And could never see being on a serious tour with any of these people.

I play guitar in a jazz band and we play gigs, without the gigs we would have nothing to work towards and maybe a goal like this could get our heads straight enough to finish songs.

I highly doubt there is nobody near your skill level in a University which has a little over 25,000 students (Washington State University). I also highly doubt that you could not get along with all these students either.

If you are not satisfied with the Uni, it's in a city called Vancouver which has a population of just over half a million people. If you can't find musicians there, you're not going to find them in Seattle.

If you can't find people, where did the jazz band come from?
Soundcloud
I'm going to WSU Pullman. I used to live in Vancouver and thats where my band is. The Jazz band is up here in Pullman and its a school thing for anyone interested in music. Theres some really good musicians there and i like jazz surprisingly a lot, but no one is interested in punk/funk, with a big Hendrix influence, like early RHCP.
Quote by 7leafvacation
I'm going to WSU Pullman. I used to live in Vancouver and thats where my band is. The Jazz band is up here in Pullman and its a school thing for anyone interested in music. Theres some really good musicians there and i like jazz surprisingly a lot, but no one is interested in punk/funk, with a big Hendrix influence, like early RHCP.

I see, my mistake.

Pullman has a population of 25,000.

You do see what I'm saying? You claim to be the best person on guitar and only person into Hendrix and RHCP of 50,000 people.
Soundcloud
Advertise yourself. You're bound to get something that you like out there.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄