Page 1 of 2
What would make you consider something as primarily 'pop' in contrast to whatever other genre it might fit under?
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I guess "pop" would be music that is primarily a solo artist that appeals to the masses and tops the Pop charts.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
If it is played on standard TV/radio, I consider it pop.

But that is pop "a", pop "b" is music designed only for these outlets.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Even if it doesn't the top any charts, I believe certain bands have that 'pop' sound.

Bumblefoot, Eric Johnson and Neal Schon have a really 'pop' type sound.
While driving yesterday, I saw a banana peel on the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it...thanks Mario Kart.
short/simple song structures, major keys, commercial appeal, mostly sold in singles.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
I'm not sure how to describe it. It's an audible thing, but I can't put my fingers on it.

I guess pop feels less intense than rock. I'm sure that will offend a lot of people, but I just don't know how to describe it. Pop music is the Chicken McNugget to rock's Tikka Masala.

I'm not trying to be an elitist. I love me some pop. Quite a bit, actually.
Music that sounds bad.
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
If everyone only seems to know who the singer of a particular band/group is.

cough daughtry cough
music that is easy to market to the general public
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
I'd say the basic definition for pop is a softer version of rock, kind of like rock without the rock.
Entirely vocal-led, simple song structure, big hooks, well mixed and produced...
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at Nov 14, 2009,
none of you know what pop is about, hear to Belle and Sebastian and you'll se. Nice melodies, fantastic arrangements and its not commercial at all. most of you can't see the difference between pop and commercial music, and they're not even similar
Pop just means popular music. Pop can range from R&B influenced boy band crap to amazingly awesome New-Wave influenced crap like Real Life.
music made to appeal to as many people as possible <- this kind usually sucks

or music that is widely popular with a broad audience <- not bad but I'm not usually into it
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 14, 2009,
Catchy and melodic with mass appeal.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
Emotionless music made for the sole purpose of selling records. There are a few exceptions but about 98% of pop artists don't even write their own material or even play an instrument other than being able to sing (and even then they lather up the singing with auto-tune).

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by Minkaro
But I thought Nirvana were grunge?

ZING!! You get a too.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by El Hilliaro
Emotionless music made for the sole purpose of selling records.

Who the hell buys emotionless records?

Nobody.

Lol.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
pop I think as a general rule, is very vocal, short song structures, and catchy melodies

and it's not all bad either, I've heard some great pop rock
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by duncang
Who the hell buys emotionless records?

Nobody.

Lol.

Well not so much emotionless. They hardly ever write their own stuff so the music means nothing to person singing it. I think that if your gonna play music that it should be a way of expressing yourself.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by El Hilliaro
Well not so much emotionless. They hardly ever write their own stuff so the music means nothing to person singing it. I think that if your gonna play music that it should be a way of expressing yourself.

maybe you should listen to less mass marketed music

there are a lot of good indie pop bands out there
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by El Hilliaro

So I guess music by bands you like doesn't mean anything to you? I mean, you didn't write it.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by daytripper75

Meow I looooove Lady Gaga. I put one of my covers of her up on youtube a few days ago... she's so intriguing...
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I think pop music is music that doesn't really challenge the audience. It's kept simple so the audience doesn't get confused, and it has a pleasant/soothing sound as not to disrupt the moods of those listening to it in the background.
Pop music is popular music. Indie, Emo, whatever, if it's popular, then it's pop.

I think there is a particular vibe that links pop music with certain, more innocent, high-school-musical type acts over Amy Winehouse, drug taking alcoholic types. In a way, because both Girls Aloud and Amy Winehouse are popular, they should be both called”pop” - and they are, in my eyes - but what we are used to isn't that. But what we are used to isn't particularly correct, either.
Pop comes from popular..so pop music would be music that appeals to the masses being the most popular among the general public i guess.
.you get the idea
The array of answers is interesting.

Wikiquote:
Musicologists often identify the following characteristics as typical of the pop music genre:[2][3][4][6]

a focus on the individual song or singles, rather than on extended works or albums
an aim of appealing to a general audience, rather than to a particular sub-culture or ideology
an emphasis on craftsmanship rather than formal "artistic" qualities
an emphasis on recording, production, and technology, over live performance
a tendency to reflect existing trends rather than progressive developments
The main medium of pop music is the song, often between two and a half and three and a half minutes in length, generally marked by a consistent and noticeable rhythmic element, a mainstream style and a simple traditional structure.[7] Common variants include the verse-chorus form and the thirty-two-bar form, with a focus on melodies and catchy hooks, and a chorus that contrasts melodically, rhythmically and harmonically with the verse.[8] The beat and the melodies tend to be simple, with limited harmonic accompaniment.[9] The lyrics of modern pop songs typically focus on simple themes – often love and romantic relationships – although there are notable exceptions.[2]
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Eh, my conception of it is that most people have heard of pop artists (Hence "popular" music) and that it's on the more mainstream radio stations. I would say it has higher emphasis on vocal work than on instrumental technique, and as you yourself said, focuses more on single releases than on album work.

Oh yeah, and from what I've seen, unless it's absolutely legendary, a pop song will vanish into oblivion after a certain time on the radio/charts.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Nov 14, 2009,
Page 1 of 2