I'm planning on buying a guitar soon that is equipped with a push/pull coil split.

However, I've toyed about switching out the stock pickups for DiMarzio D-Activators, and I would still like to use the coil-split feature..

Here comes the question:

Would I need to find special D-Activator's that will be coil-splitable? Or will I just be able to put in the D-Activator's and the pots would be able to switch them by itself?

If that didn't make sense, let me know. I'm not pickup-savvy.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
All DiMarzio's come as 4 conductor(wire) so it can be wired however you like. It also should come with basic instructions on how to wire it for coil split.

You will want to go to the wiring thread to get a good diagram assuming you are going to put it in yourself.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 14, 2009,
Quote by justinb904
All DiMarzio's come as 4 conductor(wire) so it can be wired however you like. It also should come with basic instructions on how to wire it for coil split.

You will want to go to the wiring thread to get a good diagram assuming you are going to put it in yourself.

Thank you.

Question answered
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Addendum: tap the coil that the instructions tell you to tap. You can wire either one to be the tapped coil, but tapping the wrong coil may put that pickup out-of-phase, and could result in a big volume drop, especially in the middle position.
Quote by Schism1985
Also, seymour duncan's website is great for finding virtually any conventional wiring diagram you need.

is true, that where most of the diagrams you find in the wiring forum come from and where I got the diagrams I used when making custom electronics and replacing pickups. If I remember correctly they use the same wire colors as DiMarzio.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
is true, that where most of the diagrams you find in the wiring forum come from and where I got the diagrams I used when making custom electronics and replacing pickups. If I remember correctly they use the same wire colors as DiMarzio.

No they don't.

You'll need a wire coloud coding conversation chart.

Here're two that I usually use.
http://www.skguitar.com/SKGS/sk/Pickup%20color%20codes.htm
http://www.guitar-repairs.co.uk/guitar_pickup_colour_codes.htm

Also, just to make sure the TS is aware, you'll need a DPDT pot for the push/pull... though it seems he's aware, I'd thought I'd make ti explicit.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.