I'm curious as to where you place you hand when muting the strings. I've always rested my hand at the lowest string (because I never learned any songs that needed to mute anything else, silly me) but after attempting to learn a recent song, I've switched my hand placement.

Now I rest my palm over all the stings, and when I need to play something that's not muted, I simply lift my palm up for a split second.

However when trying to playing something like (muting the open string, obviously)

------7------7------7-----7---------------------
---0-----0-----0------0-------------------------

is tough when played at a fast pace. It seems easiest to rest my hand just above the 6th string.

Any ideas, what do you guys do?
I palm mute with the end of my palm resting on the bridge,just practise raising it slightly so that the 7 rings out while the 0 doesn't. Place it really close to the bridge. There the strings don't vibrate so much. Practise makes perfect
Quote by Dopemgs
I palm mute with the end of my palm resting on the bridge,just practise raising it slightly so that the 7 rings out while the 0 doesn't. Place it really close to the bridge. There the strings don't vibrate so much. Practise makes perfect

Solid advice, exactly what I'm looking for as far as answers go. Thanks! I'll definitely give this a try! More responses welcome.
I palm mute with my hand in a lot of different positions around the bridge and strings, depending on what I'm doing and what sound I'm trying to get out of it. For example sometimes I want the note to still ring out somewhat but with a darker tone, so I palm right at the bridge; but sometimes I really want to choke the sound off to nothing but the attack, so I palm across a bit further down the string towards the pickups. Sometimes I want to be able to mute the bass strings but let the higher strings ring out clearly, so I angle it a little so it's only touching the bass strings

What you want to do, is spend a whole bunch of time just experimenting chucking your hand in different places and see what kind of sounds you get. Maybe part of your practise routine, you could pick a random riff to jam on, and then just play it over and over for 5-10 minutes changing your muting around every few repetitions. You want to learn a) what it sounds like when you palm mute in different ways, and b) what to do with your hand to achieve a particular sound.
Is that blackened or something...lol. Well the only way i can do that is with momentum so i play it hard by nature and i actually lift my hand up pretty high, probably like 4 inches. oh and i alternate pick it, upstroke the 5th string.

I don't know if this made sense but yeah..i hope you get my idea