Page 1 of 2
I found a Crate Palomino v50 on Craigslist for 250$. Practically brand new. About a year old. Owner used it for church services. I was wondering what your thoughts on this amp is. And could I achieve a metal sound either with the amp or a pedal? I'd mostly be playing classic rock/blues type stuff but may dab into some metal here and there.

Thanks
Check its country of manufacture. The Vietnam ones may have some issues, but the American made ones are pretty solid.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
amazing amps for the money tbh BUY IT!

Im almost certain I'm going to buy it. I just want to know if it will get a good metal sound?
Quote by CrackTheSkye
Im almost certain I'm going to buy it. I just want to know if it will get a good metal sound?

the question is can YOU do metal?

will give you everything except your br00talz or crabcore because its class A i think.
it gets plenty crunchy, whether or not it's what "you" consider metal is another whole bag of dounuts.

very good rock/blues amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It won't do br00t4lz without the SLO mods, I'm afraid.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
It won't do br00t4lz without the SLO mods, I'm afraid.

I've heard this a couple times, what do you mean?

Are you implying that you can mod a Crate to the specs of an SLO100?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
I've heard this a couple times, what do you mean?

Are you implying that you can mod a Crate to the specs of an SLO100?

supposedly. i've never played one that's been mod'd but i'm sure there is a tone sample somewhere.
Quote by gregs1020
supposedly. i've never played one that's been mod'd but i'm sure there is a tone sample somewhere.

:O

Thats jizztacular!

Are they expensive/large mods? It would be brilliant if you could mod an almost budget amp to a boutique design.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
check with the guys in "gear building and customizing". if someone doesn't post a link here to it that is.
as a proud owner of one of these babies I strongly suggest you get one. It is an amazing amp especially at that price. Does a very nice classic rock/blues tone, and can get into metal territory with a boost. It is a tad dark, but I'm pretty sure thats just due to the speakers. It gets crazy loud when you need it to, but still sounds nice at lower levels. I'm planning on recording tonight so I'll post some clips of the amp. In the meantime you can hear what it sounds like on my youtube demo of my pedalboard http://www.youtube.com/user/thedom021#p/a/u/2/pSZt2L6gm5w. not the highest quality but I'll do some proper recording tonight.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
as a proud owner of one of these babies I strongly suggest you get one. It is an amazing amp especially at that price. Does a very nice classic rock/blues tone, and can get into metal territory with a boost. It is a tad dark, but I'm pretty sure thats just due to the speakers. It gets crazy loud when you need it to, but still sounds nice at lower levels. I'm planning on recording tonight so I'll post some clips of the amp. In the meantime you can hear what it sounds like on my youtube demo of my pedalboard http://www.youtube.com/user/thedom021#p/a/u/2/pSZt2L6gm5w. not the highest quality but I'll do some proper recording tonight.

Sounds good. I'll check out your video and I'm looking forward to the amp clips. If one were to replace the speakers what would be the best choice?
I plan on putting WGS Green Berets in. Well my parents came home early so most of my recording time was nixed, so I don't have the clips of just the amp, but I one with a muff, and one with a boost, delay and reverb if your interested in them.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by gregs1020

It's not the palominos that have been modded extensively, as most people seem to think they sound fine on their own. It's the newer v-series amps, like the v18-212 or v33 that have been modded. There's a website called blueguitar that's got tons of the mods, schematics, layouts, and all. There's also a thread on thegearpage about it.

I've got the palomino v16 and did some minor mods in the circutry to improve (to my ears) the distortion, but they're fine without any modifications (I didn't have the cash for a new speaker, so I can't speak to the value of that particular upgrade). They're not very metal oriented at all, though, and, even with the mods, the heaviest they're going to get is Kill em All'ish, Maybe Ride the Lightning'ish with a boost.

With that in mind, I love mine and it's great for everything up to early Metallica/Van Halen and absolutely nails AC/DC.

Here's a thread on thegearpage with some mods for the palomino should you want to go that route.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=510151
^
This guy nails it, running something like a Metal Muff through the clean channel can get you some pretty good metal tones. That or boosting the hell out of the OD channel. I prefer option 1 in my case.

I have a v32, and love it.
I had one for a while, and absolutely loved it.

Good cleans, great crunch.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/lbj273/music/play733938 muff clip

other clip is also up, nothin special I was just trying to get some basic tracks down to work with
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Last edited by lbj273 at Nov 14, 2009,
Awesome. I'll check em out as soon as I can get on comp. Posting from my iPhone right now
You should be able to boost it and get into metal territory...or you could just run it on the clean channel...and get a good distortion pedal to get your metal tones with. The cleans on the v-series/palomino are a great platform if you have the right pedal to use.
Quote by eyebanez333
You should be able to boost it and get into metal territory...or you could just run it on the clean channel...and get a good distortion pedal to get your metal tones with. The cleans on the v-series/palomino are a great platform if you have the right pedal to use.

any suggestions on a good boost?
In my experience, your probably best off with a metal muff on the clean channel. the distortion this baby puts out just isnt voiced right for metal.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273
In my experience, your probably best off with a metal muff on the clean channel. the distortion this baby puts out just isnt voiced right for metal.

That's what I was thinking from the demo's I've heard. You think metal muff would be the best choice?
I'm not sure, I don't play much metal so I wouldnt be the best person to ask that, but if you ask me I'd go with the Wampler Plextortion or Triple Wreck
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I'll be getting this amp saturday. Still curious as to if it can do Classic Rock (Ac/Dc, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, etc.. ) as well as The Sword, Baroness, Tool without a pedal. And do metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth) with a pedal.

I play pretty much a little of everything in the rock genre. Can this amp do this?
yeah, you should be good for those styles. my sister has one, and i jam with it a lot.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by CrackTheSkye
I'll be getting this amp saturday. Still curious as to if it can do Classic Rock (Ac/Dc, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, etc.. ) as well as The Sword, Baroness, Tool without a pedal. And do metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth) with a pedal.

I play pretty much a little of everything in the rock genre. Can this amp do this?

It'll do the classic rock easily. I don't know about The Sword or Baronness, but I got close to Vicarious tone without an OD pedal, but I would get an OD pedal to make sure you can get there. It can easily do Metallica, Iron Maiden and Megadeth with an OD pedal. My old V16 Palomino ripped up Kill'em All and Rust in Peace with just my MXR ZW-44 in front of it.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
thanks for all the info guys.

now I need some OD/Distortion pedal recommendations. Also If I were to upgrade this amp later on what would be some suggestions? Speakers/Reverb/Tubes/Etc...

With the reverb I'm thinking accutronics but what type?
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/prodspec.htm

And I have no idea about the speakers/tubes as I don't know much about tube amps.
Quote by CrackTheSkye
thanks for all the info guys.

now I need some OD/Distortion pedal recommendations. Also If I were to upgrade this amp later on what would be some suggestions? Speakers/Reverb/Tubes/Etc...

With the reverb I'm thinking accutronics but what type?
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/prodspec.htm

And I have no idea about the speakers/tubes as I don't know much about tube amps.

On a budget:
OD - TS9, Badmonkey, MXR ZW44

Speaker - Warehouse Guitar Speakers (WGS) - Green Beret x2, Green Beret and Veteran 30, Green Beret and ET65, Veteran 30 x2, Veteran 30 and ET65, ET65 x2

Tubes - I've always been a sucker for JJ's.

Open Budget:
OD - Fulltone OCD, Maxon OD808, TS-808

Speaker - take the speakers I used in the tight budget version and buy their celestion versions (I prefer the Veteran 30 over the Vintage 30, but that's just me)

Tubes - still a sucker for JJ's.
i'd go for jj's in the poweramp, but the amp kinda has some clarity issues gain-wise. stock it has room for improvement, but jj preamp tubes would probably muddy it up.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Than likely my first investments will be speakers and a od pedal. I was thinking the keeley mod ts9. I've also been looking at the WGS speakers. Probably a green beret/veteran setup.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
i'd go for jj's in the poweramp, but the amp kinda has some clarity issues gain-wise. stock it has room for improvement, but jj preamp tubes would probably muddy it up.

That's true, the JJ's tend to be a darker tube. A Tung-sol might be a better option for the pre-amp to relieve you of that clairty issue.
indeed
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

you definatly do not want to put dark tubes into it, if you want to boost it into metal I suggest an OD other than one of the various forms of the tubescreamer so you don't have the mids hump. There are some clips on my profile about how my maxon OD808 and Digitech Screamin' Blues sound
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

I have a V16 with a TS-808 and JJ power and Tungsol pres. It sounds really damn good and I think those 50 watt ones are even better because I am a sucker for the EL34 sound moreso than than the EL84 sound of the V16. I can get metal as heavy as pantera and later metallica. It really has to do with your pick attack. A very agressive attack will sound metal even with not a ton of gain.
Once again thanks for the info guys.

Keep any and all suggestions/opinions coming.
Last edited by CrackTheSkye at Nov 18, 2009,
Well I got this amp about a week ago week ago and have been playing with it and some days it sounds good and some days it don't. Like today when I played it, it seemed really muddy. Any ideas what could cause this? Maybe I just cant get a good EQ setting on it. Anyway I was also wondering how would I look at the tubes? I was trying to get access to them but didn't see a way unless you take off the back panel and then just pull the whole thing out. I didn't want to try that though. Is there a way to get to them?

EDIT: The Clean channel sounds great
It's the overdrive channel that I'm having problems with.
Last edited by CrackTheSkye at Nov 27, 2009,
i haven't tried it yet, but a retube would probably do well.

changing tubes on it may work like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb-TbLjgC5c
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
i haven't tried it yet, but a retube would probably do well.

changing tubes on it may work like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb-TbLjgC5c

I started taking out screws earlier and from what I can tell is you take off the back panel then the 2 screws on each side holding the chassis then you just pull the whole thing out. I didn't pull the chassis out though as I didn't want to mess with it. I'm thinking the bad sound is just a combo of my EMG's and bad eq settings as I haven't found a good tone and I'm not to knowledgeable about setting eq.

EDIT: This may be what's being done in the video but I haven't watched it yet.

Any tube recommendations?
Last edited by CrackTheSkye at Nov 27, 2009,
Page 1 of 2