Okay, so I have picked up some vinyls from ebay. I usually ALWAYS buy CD and have quite a big collection. But I want a better, truer sound. And I have switched. Only problem is I dont have a record player. -facepalm-

I want to know whats the best one to get, everything about sizes/speeds etc etc. I'm completely new to records and record players and could really use some advice on how to work the thing, and whether i'm buying the right sizes or w.e? I might sound like a newbie, but thats because I am. Thanks pit.
Quote by vivalasteve
This one time, I was...erm...orgasming...but nonstop. It just wouldn't stop and, without being too graphic, basically was like how the blood was coming out of your mouth, then I got dehydrated and died. True story.
IDK why people buy vinyl. Sure, it might sound marginally better, but you also get to hear all the pops and scratches and it's a pain in the ass to store/play them.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
IDK why people buy vinyl. Sure, it might sound marginally better, but you also get to hear all the pops and scratches and it's a pain in the ass to store/play them.

But it also forces you to sit and listen to the music, instead of having it playing the background while you do other things like drive or dick around UG.

Go to best buy and buy whatever $100 sony turntable they have, and you'll be all set. Just fyi, the sound really isn't a whole lot better than a CD with great speakers.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by woodenbandman

nobody knows why, its just one of lifes mysteries, like sasquatch and spider III's
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
People only thought that vinyl was better than CDs because when CDs first came out, the digital-to-analog converters weren't very good.. I believe that's where the whole myth started. Oh, and the familiarity thing too, people were used to the sound of vinyl, and couldn't handle the clarity of digital music :P
Quote by Sid McCall
But it also forces you to sit and listen to the music, instead of having it playing the background while you do other things like drive or dick around UG.

Go to best buy and buy whatever $100 sony turntable they have, and you'll be all set. Just fyi, the sound really isn't a whole lot better than a CD with great speakers.

Depends on the album really, any recent album will sound exactly the same as CD, some older ones will sound marginally better, and some will sound amazing.

E.g. Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan is not much different to CD, but Let it Be by The Beatles is amazing on vinyl.

EDIT:
Quote by Ibbod0
People only thought that vinyl was better than CDs because when CDs first came out, the digital-to-analog converters weren't very good.. I believe that's where the whole myth started. Oh, and the familiarity thing too, people were used to the sound of vinyl, and couldn't handle the clarity of digital music :P

Clarity... Digital... wat.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by Sid McCall

Thanks, but will ANY vinyl work on ANY record player? Thanks. What make am I looking for? Am I looking for a odern one? Or an old one? Or one thats capable of playing CD's too? Please help.
Quote by vivalasteve
This one time, I was...erm...orgasming...but nonstop. It just wouldn't stop and, without being too graphic, basically was like how the blood was coming out of your mouth, then I got dehydrated and died. True story.
Quote by Sid McCall

Interesting, because right now I'm listening to a record in the background while I'm dicking around UG.

Quote by extrememetal94
Thanks, but will ANY vinyl work on ANY record player?

If the record player and the record are at the same speed, I believe so. I'm pretty sure most record players are designed to play the standard 33 1/2 rpm album, and will usually allow you to play 45s and 78s (although the record player I use doesn't have a 78 rpm option). You'll usually run across 33 1/2s unless you get singles, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem. Unless you buy an ancient record player, it will probably be suited to play 12" 33 1/2 rpm records, which you (or at least I have been) are more likely to come across.
Quote by extrememetal94
Thanks, but will ANY vinyl work on ANY record player? Thanks. What make am I looking for? Am I looking for a odern one? Or an old one? Or one thats capable of playing CD's too? Please help.

Most turntables have different speed settings, so for albums you would play them at 33 1/3 RPM, singles and EPs at 45RPM.

If your current stereo has Phono inputs, then you can just get any old turntable and plug into that, if not you want a standalone unit.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
generally yes any vinly will work on any player (though you will need an adapter for 45s) and there are a few that play at weird speeds. As for what to get, I suggest a Technics SL-1200 turntable and a decent tube amp for it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I got my vinyl set up on amazon. Just get a decent Sony turntable, speakers with pretty good bass, and a digital or analog receiver, depending on what kind of sound you want. Should only cost you a few hundred dollar all together for a pretty high quality sounding record system.

Record collecting/playing is fun and worthwhile, don't let people ware you down about it.
Being an old vinyl guy,(thats all we had when i was a kid. 8 tracks were the thing. Cassettes were very new.) anywhos, A USB is a good option. If you have a nice stereo setup, and dont want a USB table, make sure to get a direct drive table ( Stanton, Technics, Denon)
and a GOOD elliptical cartridge (not a round). Stanton,Pickering Audio-techinca buy the best one you can afford.
This will make all the difference in the world.
Vinyl is vinyl they will all play on a turntable.
Singles and EP's are 33's. I dont think that they make 45's anymore. They made those in the 60's.
No a CD will not play on a record player.
Good luck.
People listen to vinyls because it often feels more "real" than listening to a digital CD, or an mp3. Analog recordings sound a lot more organic, anyways, rather than the polished digital production values.

My turntable right now is a bit broken, and it's the first one I've had, and it was the cheapest one I could find. If you pay more for a high quality turntable, then you don't have to worry about it breaking easily, or scratching up your records.
Quote by siksofus
Singles and EP's are 33's. I dont think that they make 45's anymore.

of course they make 45s i have a 10" that runs at 45 and i have a 12" that runs at 45 and pretty much all 7"s run at 45
Amazon seems to have a decent selection of turntables and units. Also--check your second hand audio stores and any place that sells 2nd hand DJ equipment.

Most turntables play at 45 and 33 1/3 rpms. The other two speeds were 78 and 16 rpms. 78s were the old acetate albums that were originally played on gramophones (you know, the old wind up record players). 16 rpm were for spoken word records or audio recordings, from say radio.

Most vinyl is in 10, 12 or 7 in format (45s). 45s were also called singles because they usually had a hit (A side), the single and a B side. 33 1/3 or LPs (long playing) were the album format.

As far as sound, there are somethings I find sound great on CD and some really do sound warmer on vinyl. Also I do miss the art work that graced a full 12" LP. Also some things, such as the Beatles White album sound odd to me on CD because of the song progressions between sides isn't broken up by the need to flip the album.
I got into the vinyl thing with the ideas that 1) I'd ultimately hear a truer sound and 2) I'd be forced to sit down and listen.

The problem with my reasoning was I discovered music in the 90s when everything was mixed for CDs. Turns out when you cram a pumpkins or radiohead album onto vinyl it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the cd because of the way the album was mixed and mastered. Sure some of my old folk stuff sounds better on vinyl and I'll occasionally listen to it that way, but 99% of the time I find myself just listening to my CDs, and now I'm out the cost of a new turn table and some vinyl releases of albums I had that sound 10 times better on cd.