[[[[[[[So i'm thinking of picking up one of these and was wondering what any owners/users would have to say about it.

I know the differences between the rest of the EHX Muff range but i haven't heard many comparisons with this (it's mostly on the big/little and USA/Russian distinction).

So basically, how does it compare and what do people think of it?

Thanks for your advice.]]]]]]]
Last edited by Duv at Nov 17, 2009,
Doesn't sound like a muff, check out the PGS demo of it.
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
I've got one. It's pretty dreadful. The first muff doesnt really create an overdrive sound, on my clean channel, it just boosts it. Engaging the second muff creates a load of hiss, but you can get big muff like tones by engaging both and pushing the second muff to full, whilst having the first very low. Silk screened awfully, and pretty poorly made actually, the input jacks are forever becoming loose and one of them broke at the solder joint a few weeks back. I use it for inducing feedback now, and that's about it.

I'd say keep away.

What kinda sound are you looking to get?

Ok. Classic fuzz tones really, Hendrix springs to mind immediately but also modern harsh fuzz aswell. I would want something quite rich and smooth sounding, which hasn't got too much bite but enough. Going on the PGS video it felt like that double muff had the most variation.

It seems that build quality is a general problem across the EHX muffs then...?
Check the Big Muff with Tone Wicker. I looked at all the different muffs for ages, found this one and never turned back, it's amazing, probably the most versatile, and it is built like a tank like ze monsta said, lol
Quote by forsaknazrael
The double muff isn't a big muff. It's two muff overdrive circuits.

If you want Hendrix, the double muff is the wrong direction. What's your budget?

What he said.

It doesn't sound like it's what you're looking for. It's more of an overdrive than a normal fuzz. Personally, I really like it, but it isn't a hendrix style fuzz.

And to the Ze monsta, if it doesn't create an overdrive on the single muff, it might be broken...
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Nov 15, 2009,
The budget's not important, well not completely. I'm selling my old MG30 and a Boss ME50 and need/want to buy a chorus pedal, a EHX Holy Grail and also am looking at fuzz pedals. I must say I was attracted by the price of the EHX range; i don't want to be spending too much.

I think John Frusciante who i think has great fuzz tones has used Big Muffs USA and Russian but going on video clips etc (I haven't had a chance to try any out yet) they seemed a bit too heavy. I think I was hoping for something a bit smoother, possibly the Little Big Muff.

I'm also in the UK. I looked at the MJM London Fuzz but it's not going to be easy/cheap to get one here.
Frusciante?
I URGE you to check out the Big Muff with Tone Wicker. Tones like his are exactly the reason I got it, this pedal nails his fuzz tone and is versatile, you can back it off a bit or you can push it harder. It can do smooth or harsh, the wicker switch is great.

What songs do you like the tone from the most?
I like recent Frusciante-fuzz. As in Stadium Arcadium / Empyrean era. I think you're right that the tone wicker switch adds versatility, but does it give classic/smooth crunch? I was thinking something like the MXR Classic Fuzz would be good for this.

(Oh and it goes without saying that I'm gna try out a whole range of them before i think of buying but i'm seeking a clearer outlook on what to start looking for)
Like forsaknazrael said, definitely try out some sort of fuzz face.
Quote by XxLloydxX
Well, the Tone Wicker one is great for Stadium Arcadium. Dani California solo/chorus tone, Wet Sand solo tone, Strip My Mind... all the real fuzzy tones are easily achieved with minimal tweaking. Of course, Froosh uses 3294863298 pedals and his Marshall amps to achieve his tone, you're obviously not going to sound identical. But you can get very close.

Classic crunch is also very doable, the wicker switch helps with that. I must sound like the biggest EHX fanboy ever, but honestly it just sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Try out the Fuzz Face and the Classic Fuzz too, because tone is subjective, but definitely keep the Big Muff w/Tone Wicker in your sights.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Well, the Tone Wicker one is great for Stadium Arcadium. Dani California solo/chorus tone, Wet Sand solo tone, Strip My Mind... all the real fuzzy tones are easily achieved with minimal tweaking. Of course, Froosh uses 3294863298 pedals and his Marshall amps to achieve his tone, you're obviously not going to sound identical. But you can get very close.

Classic crunch is also very doable, the wicker switch helps with that. I must sound like the biggest EHX fanboy ever, but honestly it just sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Try out the Fuzz Face and the Classic Fuzz too, because tone is subjective, but definitely keep the Big Muff w/Tone Wicker in your sights.

Yeh i'll bear that in mind. I will try out a few and the tone wicker will def be on that list. I just hope they're available to try out near me (Denmark St has a very limited range).

Cheers mate
^ I've generally found them quite limiting. For pedals things are better but compared to guitar superstores their range is sometimes smaller and they're less inclined to/can't buy stuff in. Also in a number of stores i find the sales assistants unhelpful.

I'll be going down there soon and hopefully they'll prove me wrong/you're right!
Some of the sales assistants can be complete arseholes yeah, but there are a couple of shops with a really good range. You should be able to find plenty of fuzz pedals in vintage and rare. I can't remember the name of the shop, but when looking down from Charing Cross Road, theres a really good shop on the left towards the far end. Plenty of pedals in there which I suspect will be towards your price range.
Vintage and Rare has a pretty crazy selection of pedals, but lots of them are really expensive. If you're cool with spending a lot, they generally have some really nice stuff in.
Quote by XxLloydxX
That is a fantastic shop. Them and Wunjo are the best shops on Denmark St I reckon. The guys in Vintage & Rare are really nice when i want to play something, even when it's clear that i'm not gonna be buying the £3,000 Gretsch! And i think Wunjo have a better range of the kind of guitars i like.

I will go check some out soon, and i foresee that there will be a NPD thread in the near future.

Thanks for your advice guys.