Every single time i try to restring my 1st string on my acoustic it snaps for no apparent reason.I get the other strings right but the first one never gets close to getting tuned right.

I think it might have to do with not knowing exactly how to string a guitar,usually within 1 or 2 wraps i have the string tuned correctly but its still pretty loose.

This really sucks cause i normally only go to the guitar on saturdays so i have to wait an entire week to replace the string to which i have no spares.

I can normally get the the string down in the pin however i face problems with the 1st and 2nd string and im pretty clueless with what to do at the headstock,i just cramp it 90 degrees put it through the hole and start turning.

So can anyone please go into detail on exactly what to do at the head?
Ive already lost way to much money on strings
It Might be that the whole on the tuning peg wher u put the string through might somehow be sharp enough to the point that if u tightenn the string too much it'll snap the string. What u wana do is get some 220Grit Sandpaper and place it on the tip of somthing pointy, mabye a pencil tip of a pen tip and Dull down the corners of the peg hole. If its not that then maybe the nut slot is at a wrong angle or too small for the string, which can also snap the string if tightened enough.
the most common issue would be that the nut has a sharp edge or burr. but it could be your stringing. why not head over to youtube and find a video that shows you how to string your guitar?
It sounds like you might not be giving the string enough wraps to let it stretch. Put it through the peg but wrap it around the peg at least once or twice. After you begin to tune you will wind up with four or five wraps. Don't tune a new string too fast as this will break it also. If you can , tune it up, leave it for a while and then tune it again and again until it is up to pitch.
these guys are all right, but if the problem still persists, it's possible it's the brand of string you're using. i've read recently of a batch of a certain string brand breaking way too often. apparently there was some manufacturing defect. i can't remember which one, though.
Quote by patticake
the most common issue would be that the nut has a sharp edge or burr. but it could be your stringing. why not head over to youtube and find a video that shows you how to string your guitar?

Agreed. Probably a burr or your stringing. Or you might be using Daddarios haha. I break Daddarios more than any other string.
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy