Hi everyone,

I apologise if this is the wrong section of the forum to post this in, so please move it if it belongs somewhere else.

I am going to be going to the US soon and obviously guitar prices there are *much* cheaper than Australia (my country), so I thought I'd take the opportunity to buy some stuff, seeing as this will be my only opportunity to go to the US.

I'll be going via South Korea (not a connecting flight).

I'm planning on buying an an electric and acoustic guitar, an amp, and FX pedal (Pod X3 live maybe).

I'll be going with someone so they can hold one and I can hold one guitar. I intend on bringing the guitars and fx pedal onto the plane and putting it in overhead compartments.

Question is, for the amp, would it be safe sending checking it in as baggage? Because I see no way in bringing it onboard. I intend on buying a Fender 25R amp. I couldn't find much information on the net about amps, so I'm asking if anyone has any tips on how to make sure it remains in one piece.

Thanks
You should be able to get a fender frontman very cheap second hand in Aus anyway, they aren't exactly tone monsters so resale values are low.

I'm not sure how guitars would go in the overhead compartments.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Well then what guitar amp would you recommend? I only need one for practice purposes.

I saw here and a brand new Fender 25R in Australia was $350... whereas in the US it's about $100 or so. =\
I'd recommend you look on your local gumtree or tradingpost website and see what comes up. Then look up reviews for the results that get your attention either on here or on harmony central reviews.
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Hi,

I'm not too keen about buying 2nd hand equipment for various reasons (not my thing).

What advice would you recommend for bringing an amp via aeroplane? Just incase I decide to take this route and buy one in the US.

Thanks
I don't know I haven't ever done it before, but I'd recommend a peavey Vypyr, Vox valvetronix or roland cube over a fender frontman. I imagine you would be paying a pit in luggage. As far as packing goes, ask for a box when you buy it if it doesn't come with one, pack it full of bubble wrap and put it in a cheap bag or something.
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Your best bet is to call the airline and ask them what their policies are regarding carrying instruments on board and transporting amplifiers as checked baggage. Some airlines let you carry one instrument as carry-on baggage (at least, they used to do this). Amplifiers are pretty heavy, and when you box them up in bubble wrap they take up a lot of room. The airline might hit you with some serious fees for transporting something that large and heavy. As for how safe it would be to transport an amp as checked baggage, it is a crapshoot. A box and bubble wrap might be enough, but baggage handlers can be rough. If it is a tube amp, take all of the tubes out and wrap them separately. Don't transport them with the amp.
Thanks for all your advice.

Yes I will be checking with airlines before I buy etc, but I was asking how to prevent damage due to baggage handlers etc.

The Peavey Vypyr 15 15W Amp looks attractive. Would you mind telling me why it is better over the Fender 25R?

Thanks again, I really do appreciate all your advice.
Quote by minifhncc
The Peavey Vypyr 15 15W Amp looks attractive. Would you mind telling me why it is better over the Fender 25R?

"Better" is a relative term. You might think the Fender is better than the Peavey. The Vypyr is packed with features that the Fender doesn't have. You can certainly do more with it, and you can have more fun with it. That having been said, you still might decide after comparing the two that you like the Fender more than the Peavey.
Thanks for all your help. I really do appreciate it.

Yeah I dunno why Australia has to be so expensive with this stuff

I'll be buying a Pod X3 Live FX pedal aswell. Would you guys think that this is a wise choice? It's going to be my first electric guitar. Have been playing acoustic for a few years now.

Given that I'll be buying the Pod X3 live, do you still think the Peavey Vypyr 15 is still a better choice? After all, I'll be able to get the FX I want on the pedal right?

Sorry for these 'novice' questions. I'm really new to this stuff.

Thanks again.
A lot of people on these forums like to trash the Line 6 products, but they work just fine and plenty of pros use them. The X3 is a good multi-effects pedal, and yes, there would be a fair amount of redundancy with the digital effects of the Vypyr amplifier. That doesn't mean you couldn't use the two of them together, though. Effects aside, you might like how the Vypyr sounds. Try it and the Fender side by side and make your choice.

Gear in Australia is so expensive because it is off the beaten path by an ocean, and so it costs a fortune to ship things there. Import duties probably don't help, either.
Yeah I'll definitely try the amp out before I buy it... I intend to go to Guitar Center in the US, I heard that they are good (in pricing and quality), although I think I may be quite picky and want to try out the actual goods that I'm buying to make sure that they're not faulty, as I wont be able to go back to exchange them =\

I do however need to get a transformer seeing as US voltage is 110V (50Hz??) and Australia is 240 AC 50Hz, although for the Pod X3 I think I can just get an Australian adapter from somewhere.

I have below the list of possible/choices of things that I intend to buy, would you guys be able to make some comments etc? (NB: I already have an Ovation Acoustic Celebrity CC28 Guitar). I've researched and read reviews about all these guitars and will make my final choice when I actually have feel and play them. I just want a 3rd opinion because it's kind of the first time I'm shopping for a guitar by myself. The ovation was bought for me by someone and I think it's great.

Seeing as this will be my last trip to the US in a very long time, I figured I'd also buy another acoustic. I'm looking at a Martin X Series OMCX1KE. I also looked at some Taylor guitars (ie. 200 series: 210-E and 214-E), but the reviews didn't sound too promising so I took it off the my list.

Choices for electric guitars are:

Gretsch G5120 Limited Ed
Gretsch G5122 Double cutaway Electromatic Hollow body

Fender Deluxe Lonestar Strat
Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat

BTW, what are the differences between these two Fender guitars? I couldn't really work it out by just reading stuff about them on the net. But I did notice that the Lonestar strat was better rated than the Roadhouse strat in reviews.

Also, I read that these Gretsch guitars are poorly built in the sense of the tuners and that they go out of tune pretty easily. Is it really that bad? Would I just be much better off with the Fender guitars?

I also am going to be buying a Hercules guitar stand for this. But I read that they are not meant for storing guitars??? (and that you should store it in the case) When I first got my guitar this person who bought me the ovation said that I must store on the stand to avoid the neck from bending due to string tension. Who is correct here?

Yet again, thank you so much for helping me with this. Cheers.
My understanding is most full size guitars do not fit into the over head compartments. I have a friend that goes to Hawaii and bought a 3/4 size to carry on. Make sure to check with all the airlines you are traveling on 'cause they may have different rules regarding carry-ons.
Thanks, I will be definitely checking before I travel

I have another question regarding the amp, I've gained the impression through reviews that the Fender 25R is better built than the Peavey Vypyr 15. Is it that much differently built? What your opinions?

Thanks again!
Last time I was in the US I bought an electric to bring back (yes, they are heaps cheaper! It's not fair). Qantas wouldn't let me take it on as hand luggage and I had to check it in. Fortunately it survived.

But I have seen other people with guitars as hand luggage - I guess you just have to be lucky as to who you get behind the counter or at the boarding gate
I guess that you did the usual and padded it etc? Would you have any points to note?

Also, could someone please answer my questions in the previous post when they have a moment? It's be appreciated. Cheers
Quote by minifhncc
I guess that you did the usual and padded it etc? Would you have any points to note?

)

Actually it was just in the case - I didn't do any extra packing as I was expecting to take it as hand luggage.

I have mailed guitars without issue - bubble wrap, some sponge bits to stop it moving inside and into a hard case, never had any problems.

The bigger concern is if the US dept of homeland security (or whaver they call it) decide they want to have a look. They will just rip open your packaging and not put it back properly. A few years I was travelling with a bicycle which I packaged really well. They had ripped my box open and then just shoved all the bits back in and taped it shut again without most of the packaging. It was a miracle nothing got damaged. When I went to complain they just gave me a letter that used the magic word that they used to justify anything ("war against terrorism") and basically said they they could do whaver they liked to luggage with no recourse.

I reckon you would be OK with a guitar though
and another problem might be the custom clearance.
Perhaps it's no problem for the guitar because you will carry it with yourself. But for the Amp, I'm afraid they'll ask you the import tax. It is very high in some countries.
Quote by faramarz
and another problem might be the custom clearance.
Perhaps it's no problem for the guitar because you will carry it with yourself. But for the Amp, I'm afraid they'll ask you the import tax. It is very high in some countries.

But then how do bands that travel on tours get custom clearance for all their gear? (Including amps, etc)

I could easily justify that it was mine before the trip, couldn't I? It's not like I'm buying like 10.