Hello everyone this is my first post so I would like to start with that. I have heard good things about this forum and I look forward to using it. But right now I am having difficulty choosing a guitar that is right for me. I am in a death metal band and I am using a godin freeway classic which is not the best guitar for metal but i'm still happy with it. I want a new guitar though and I have been looking at companies such as Ibanez, ESP, and dean. I have been thinking about the ibanez xiphos, or the ESP ltd ec-1000. What other options would you suggest? Thanks!
What amp do you have?

Whats your budget?

Pickup preference? The LTD comes with an EMG 81/60 set, and I *believe* the Xiphos comes with DiMarzio D-Activators.

Of course, you can always buy better pickups.

You could also look into an Ibanez RG, or RGA, the RGA42 is a very nice guitar for around $500, but Ive heard of some being sold for $350 OTD.

Also, Jackon Dinkys are great guitars.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Nov 14, 2009,
I have a crate amp I don't know what model because I'm not at home right now but I am willing to spend anything under 1000 dollars. Pickups aren't a huge deal to me but if I had to pick I would want the EMG 81/85
Quote by kingofstrings24
I have a crate amp I don't know what model because I'm not at home right now but I am willing to spend anything under 1000 dollars. Pickups aren't a huge deal to me but if I had to pick I would want the EMG 81/85

To be honest, you'll be better off going passives unless you have a really good solid state amp or a tube amp. Dont get EMGs just because theyre EMGs. Play a guitar with them, and see if you actually like the tone.

The EC-1000 is a great guitar, however, and you can pick them up for around $599 from Sam Ash nowadays. (That is, if theyre still doing the sale)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Nov 14, 2009,
I am not a fan of EMG's. IMO they make your tone sound dull and have no bottom end. Could of been the amp I was using (peavey XXL)
http://www.myspace.com/gleebles
Listen to Low, Slow burna, and Demise at Rise. Those were all recorded with a Schecter C1 Hellraiser with an 81 85 combo. Sounds like crap.

Agile.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
I also just took a look at the schecter hellraiser c-1 and I liked what I saw. I know a guy who plays one and I found myself wanting to steal it. You might be right about the sound though I don't know. I will need to check it out at guitar center myself but are there any good BC rich's under $700?
Quote by kingofstrings24
I also just took a look at the schecter hellraiser c-1 and I liked what I saw. I know a guy who plays one and I found myself wanting to steal it. You might be right about the sound though I don't know. I will need to check it out at guitar center myself but are there any good BC rich's under $700?

No, there arent.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
The Ibanez Xiphos is a pretty amazing guitar if you can afford it. I'd agree that you should go try out a few Jackson Dinky's. They're a great line of guitars if you can dig the super thin neck.
For metal, you'd love my Cort. But if EMGs are not your thing, they do similar models with Duncans and other pups. They are some of the best value guitars around.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x