Hey, I know I'm not picking the best guitars here, but money's tight and the wallet makes the decisions.

Joined a hardcore band a couple months ago, but I'm really disappointed in my tone. Currently playing a Fender Mexican strat, maple fret board with stock pickups, through a Crate xt120R (amp is also not the best, but again, I'm "punk rawk" and money makes the demands).

Have a two choices... Epi G310 SG or Epi Les Paul Special II. Stock on both, but would be willing to do some modding now/a little down the road.

Or should I just save the money and mod my Strat and/or get a different amp?

Thank you all in advance.
Neither of those guitars will sound or play better then the mim

especially through that amp as well.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Different amp would be the port of call for drastically changing your amps tone. What's your budget?
Thanks for the quick replies.

Basically, my choice is very very limited because I play lefty (a regrettable mistake when I was young and still learning... and now I've been playing too long to switch to righty). One of the reasons I'm asking about these particular guitars is that they're currently available on craigslist (which is really rare for me to find lefty anything on, let alone something below 300).

Pretty much I can't spend more than 200. Ideally between 100 to 160.
If you cant spend more then 200 then i dont think you should spend anything at all. Is your mim SSS or HSS?
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Nothing might be the way to go, I'd be fine with that (although the two guitars I'm looking at aren't going to sit around forever, obvs)... Pretty much, if I can do something on the cheap to improve my tone for hc, I'd like to, y'know?

the mexican is SSS, would consider making the mods to make it HSS
either mod to make it HSS or get a new amp

i have the lp special II and id prefer a strat for hardcore tone, but definitely need that humbucker
If your strat was hss it would be fine, pay someone to mod it for you.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Maybe a distortion pedal or something could help, if you dont have one already
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka

It sounds like HSS might be the way to go. So I guess the next question would be what pickups would you all suggest? Active or passive, and any brand/model recommendations (given I have a solid state, and the pickup will be in an HSS arrangement) would be cool.
Passives are easier with a pickguard.

Anyway, I'd go for a JB/Classic Stack Plus/Classic Stack Plus.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You could try putting a Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge position, those do wonders for a Strat's tone sometimes. I'd suggest saving up for a new amp though, your amp is where you get most of your tone from.

I mean you've got around $200-$300 right? You could go for a VOX AD50VT if you needed to. I've got one and I use a standard MiM strat with it and I like my tone.

That's just my opinion though, try before you consider buying anything.