So I used the search bar and couldnt find anything helpful. Anyway my question is how do you harmonize riffs? It would be in metal if that matters. Sorry if this has been asked before. thanks for any help
in the most basic form, you can use 3rds and 5th's.

basicaly, a minor third is 3 frets higher than the note your trying to harmonize.

a major 3rd is 4 frets

and a 5th is basically a powerchord (for instance, 3rd fret on lowest string, it's 5th is the 5th fret on the second lowest string.)

Ideally you want to know what key your in and what chord you using, then you can base your harmony off a corrisponding chord.

...i think
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
in the most basic form, you can use 3rds and 5th's.

basicaly, a minor third is 3 frets higher than the note your trying to harmonize.

a major 3rd is 4 frets

and a 5th is basically a powerchord (for instance, 3rd fret on lowest string, it's 5th is the 5th fret on the second lowest string.)

Ideally you want to know what key your in and what chord you using, then you can base your harmony off a corrisponding chord.

...i think

thanks!
your welcome!

if you want to learn more about thoery and harmony, maybe pickup the book "harmony and thoery" from Hal leonard, you can get it on amazon.com

it'll teach to you how to read music (and play it on your guitar) how to harmonize, voicing, etc,etc,etc,etc.

a good book IMHO.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
your welcome!

if you want to learn more about thoery and harmony, maybe pickup the book "harmony and thoery" from Hal leonard, you can get it on amazon.com

it'll teach to you how to read music (and play it on your guitar) how to harmonize, voicing, etc,etc,etc,etc.

a good book IMHO.

I'll check that out, it sounds helpful
Octave harmonizing is also pretty neat.
...I like metal.
same with an inversion.

TS, basically if you harmonize C with a D or #D (minor and major 3rd), it doesn't matter what octave you use.

So let's say your riff is very simple, like this

---0--1--3-- on the high E string

that's E, F, and then A.

If you harmonize E with a minor third, you get A,

if you harmonize F with a minor third you get #A

and if you harmonize A with a minor 3rd you get C.

the harmony would be

--3--4---5 on the high E, since it's all minor thirds it will most likely be kind of bland, so maybe use a major 3rd on one of the notes or a 5th.

but, if you keep the 3--4--5, and raise it an octave, you get

15--16--17 on the high E. try recording the two riffs together to hear how it sounds.

or you could take the 3---4 and keep in on the high E, and then play the ---5-- on the low E(an octave lower). This is called an inversion. Since both notes are C, they will harmonize, but dropping the last note an octave can give a different sound to it.

play around with it and have some fun.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
same with an inversion.

TS, basically if you harmonize C with a D or #D (minor and major 3rd), it doesn't matter what octave you use.

So let's say your riff is very simple, like this

---0--1--3-- on the high E string

that's E, F, and then A.

If you harmonize E with a minor third, you get A,

if you harmonize F with a minor third you get #A

and if you harmonize A with a minor 3rd you get C.

the harmony would be

--3--4---5 on the high E, since it's all minor thirds it will most likely be kind of bland, so maybe use a major 3rd on one of the notes or a 5th.

but, if you keep the 3--4--5, and raise it an octave, you get

15--16--17 on the high E. try recording the two riffs together to hear how it sounds.

or you could take the 3---4 and keep in on the high E, and then play the ---5-- on the low E(an octave lower). This is called an inversion. Since both notes are C, they will harmonize, but dropping the last note an octave can give a different sound to it.

play around with it and have some fun.

Thanks thats very informative
Quote by phoenix_crush
I'll check that out, it sounds helpful

You can also just look through the columns on harmonizing/music theory on this site.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄