23 26%
Epiphone Dot
3 3%
new acoustic guitar
16 18%
Bass guitar with amp
46 52%
Voters: 88.
Okay, I have a budget of about $500. I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul standard (2007), and a very old, yet very good sounding off-brand acoustic guitar. I'm looking to get a new instrument this holiday season, but I'm torn among which of these to get:

Fender Stratocaster (Mexican, probably)
Epiphone Dot
a new acoustic guitar (I'm open to brand suggestions)
a bass guitar (I'd also have to buy a bass amp)

I love my Les Paul, but I'd also like some variety. If it makes any difference my guitar amp is a Roland Cube 30x. I think that I would be equally happy with any of the guitars. I'm kind of leaning towards the bass right now since I don't already have one. My main instrument will remain guitar, but I have a lot of fun when playing friends' basses.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Nov 14, 2009,
acoustic all the way. if your main instrument is guitar, its better to have a good electric AND acoustic. chicks dig acoustic
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
I guess I would recommend a bass since I'm planning that as my next purchase. But it's hard to say man, up to you.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
I would say acoustic but to get a really nice one you'd have to dish out an extra 100 to 200 bucks. I personally love strats. It would be nice to get two different tones to play around with if you got the strat or the dot. If you're looking to really go at it and start playing a lot of bass then get the bass.

But I would get the strat.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Well, so far the decision seems pretty split. Haha. On another note: An extra advantage to having two guitars is that I would be able to keep on in an alternate tuning.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by genghisgandhi
this

how are we not friends yet? i love this guy.... unless.... we are already friends and i forgot

<_<
>_>

Quote by genghisgandhi
O_o

genghisgandhi,

I say get a better guitar amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Okay, it seems like the bass is the most popular option. I'll keep the poll open, but can someone knowledgeable about basses suggest me a decent bass/ bass amp for a total of around $500?

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by sketchy z
you should buy a mandolin

acoustic or this.

mandolins are the ****ing shit. hard to play good on 'em though

Banjo.

You know it makes sense.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Epiphone Thunderbird you say? Hmm... I'll look into it. I was favoring a Fender Precision bass earlier, but I'll look at the Thunderbird.

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by Bass First
BASS

even though i'm bias

YOU ARE NOT BIAS. YOU ARE BIASED. BIAS IS A NOUN. BIAS IS NOT AN ADJECTIVE.

jesus christ
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Quote by Bass First
BASS

even though i'm bias

But I would say bass, especially if you want to record stuff.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I'd say go for the bass. The bass helps you quite a bit with your guitar playing as well, and there's not a whole lot of bassists around so you could probably easily find a band who needs you.

Also this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdbVBHVgpVE
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Well, I was all set to go for the bass, but I found out today that a friend of mine is also getting a bass this Christmas. We want to start a shits and giggles band with a third friend who plays drums. He was going to be the bassist anyway, and I was going to play guitar. This has recently swayed my preference towards the new guitar.

Quote by John Frusciante
Get The Mexican Thing
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Well, I was all set to go for the bass, but I found out today that a friend of mine is also getting a bass this Christmas. We want to start a shits and giggles band with a third friend who plays drums. He was going to be the bassist anyway, and I was going to play guitar. This has recently swayed my preference towards the new guitar.

I say get a new amp if you want to do that
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Epiphone Thunderbird you say? Hmm... I'll look into it. I was favoring a Fender Precision bass earlier, but I'll look at the Thunderbird.

Careful bringing that decision into the bass forum. They're usually more open-minded then the rest of the forums here, but not about t-birds.
dont be boring and get a fender jazz or precision bass like everyone else.. Get a freaking Schecter like all the cool people!! although mine did cost a lot more than you have.... so maybe not...??
it depends a lot on what genre you play.
If you like les pauls a lot you probably won't like strats as much. The necks play a lot differently (at least to me)
Personally I own a schecter c-1+ (600 from gc) and i love it. It has a high gain pick up (metal, rock) and a smoother pickup (jazz, blues) and is a really versatile instrument. Of course the only real answer is to play a bunch of guitars and decide which you like best.
Quote by gnrliesmanlies
it depends a lot on what genre you play.
If you like les pauls a lot you probably won't like strats as much. The necks play a lot differently (at least to me)
Personally I own a schecter c-1+ (600 from gc) and i love it. It has a high gain pick up (metal, rock) and a smoother pickup (jazz, blues) and is a really versatile instrument. Of course the only real answer is to play a bunch of guitars and decide which you like best.

I play a few genres. I enjoy blues, but in a group setting (e.g. jamming or a band) I do more alternative and punk stuff.

I love my Les Paul's tone, but it is rather think and heavy for my tastes.

Quote by John Frusciante
On your current amp, you wouldn't hear much of a difference on a Strat so thats out, personally i would go the acoustic or the bass. It really depends on what you want to play.

If your not into country or acoustic strumming/fingerpicking then don't waste your cash and get the bass.