So today I jammed with my friend (Who has an amazing new Vox AD120VT), and the clean signal on my Super Champ XD kept overdriving at high volumes (10 out of 10). I know it's to be expected, but is there any way to keep my clean channels from venturing into overdrive territory?
the overdrive usually comes in when the volume is cranked above a certain point. If you want to keep the cleans, you might have to use a microphone or plug it through a PA.
i too experience this problem. lower volumes make it better. but i want loud
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
definately volume knob. I never even use my clean channel, 9/10 times I just use the overdrive channel on my amp and switch pickups t a very turned down neck pickup to get clean. Not a huge volume loss, but tons of gain is gone, this should definitely clean things up for you without much volume loss.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Am i the only one thinking "Buy a bigger amp"?

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Am i the only one thinking "Buy a bigger amp"?

I was thinking blackface Fender Twin Reverb myself.
You could replace the speaker for something with more headroom.
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
The only real solution is buy a higher wattage amp for more headroom.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Akridosity
You could replace the speaker for something with more headroom.

do you know what headroom is?
I was gonna say buy a set of tubes with a grade that runs them real cool.

But the Valvetronix only has a preamp right??? Maybe get an AT7?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Buy a carvin speaker to hook it up to and raise that volume.

Also, that channel on your superchamp is not the "clean" channel, it's the dry channel, without voicings. It's supposed to sound like that at high volume. You typically don't use gain to get OD on tube amps, but volume.

If you want a clean channel, you could go for a twin reverb clone, all it has is a clean channel. Or buy a cheap head that has a real clean channel, like a lower end jcm clone or a vox valvetronix.
Quote by Plexi81

Also, that channel on your superchamp is not the "clean" channel, it's the dry channel, without voicings. It's supposed to sound like that at high volume. You typically don't use gain to get OD on tube amps, but volume.
If you want a clean channel, you could go for a twin reverb clone, all it has is a clean channel. Or buy a cheap head that has a real clean channel, like a lower end jcm clone or a vox valvetronix.

Errr, no.
TS, your amp has a low headroom and there isn't much you can do about it. You can put in a lower gain preamp tube to slightly up the headroom, but it won't be a huge difference. The only solutions are to not turn it up too high or to get an amp with more headroom.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Plexi81

Also no. The Twin does overdrive you just have to push it HARD. It's not a clean channel it's just a one channel amp with a glorious amount of headroom.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Plexi81

Lol.

An extra speaker won't really reduce the tube overdrive. It would go against speaker overdrive but I don't think the OP is referring to that.
And OD = gain right?

OP you'll have to get a higher wattage amp.
How the hell were you just jamming with the amp on 10??

The only solutions are to turn it down or get an amp with more headroom/volume.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Am I the only 1 thinking:

Why the hell are you playing cleans so loud? PUT ON SOME ****ING DRIVE YOU DUMB ****!!!! WE ALL KNOW IT'S ALL ABOUT TEH BR00TALZZ MOTHER****ER!!!!
ffs.

just pick less hard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by WtrPlyr
Lol.

An extra speaker won't really reduce the tube overdrive. It would go against speaker overdrive but I don't think the OP is referring to that.
And OD = gain right?

OP you'll have to get a higher wattage amp.

The point of running it through a monitor/main is so that you can get the signal louder without raising the volume on the amp, hence perfect cleans that are very loud.

OD is overdrive, you typically overdrive a tube amp by saturating the tubes, this can only be done by raising the volume or using power attenuation, and power attenuation will not get you the sound of a driven speaker, or rounding, or responsiveness.