Hi guys,
A couple months ago I bought this guitar from a friend (this is not the actual guitar, it's just a picture of the model): http://www.ozarkmountainguitars.com/images/Gallery/FEN-ShowmasterCeltic.jpg

First thing you may notice is it's single pickup (fender humbucker from what I know) and single knob. Well me and a friend of mine our now really looking into customizing it by changing the current pickup and adding a neck pickup. I have to consult with his father, who apparently knows how and is willing to do it (I don't know how to and this is my only electric guitar and don't want to screw it up). What I need advise on is what pickups to get. My friend is pretty set that I should get an EMG for the bridge pickup but that hasn't been decided yet. No idea what the neck pick up should be.

So... what kind of sound am I looking for? Well I just play regular rock (somewhat progressive). The most similar band to what I want my general tone to emulate is coheed and cambria (not so much their newest album). I enjoy having a brilliant clean sound to play ballad type stuff or softer intros/bridges/interludes while still being able to hit really nice, strong, crunchy power chords. I play rhythm and my lead guitarist has a les paul and I really want something that can kind of sound powerful to blend together with his sound (kind of like a beauty and the beast type thing if the beast was able to turn into a slightly less attractive beauty when needed).

An example from coheed of what I want would be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf2tHNrnvR0

I'll mention again that I'm rhythm not lead.

Thanks a lot guys, looking forward to ideas.
So you want to route out a cavity for a neck pickup?

I'd look at something like DiMarzio AirNorton.

Why go with an EMG in the bridge? Are you talking about an active pickup? You'll need to route out room for the battery too.

What amp are you using?

Is this a wood guitar? It looks aluminum. I'd ask a mod to move this to the Guitar Building and Customizing forum.
Don't go active, there's no point. Stick a Dimarzio Breed in the bridge but think very, very hard before you start gouging chunks out of it just for a neck pickup, you'll utterly destroy any resale value the guitar has.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well I figured it'd go here cause I'm mostly worried about which pickups to choose as opposed to how to customize it. I'm kind of worried about screwing it up myself which is why I'm asking people that have actually done it before. I'm not concerned with resale value, I bought it for $100 US.

It is a wood guitar... I think basswood. My amp is a Crate MX120R. I definitely wasn't planing on an active.

I'm trying to look into these DiMarzio pickups but everyone on youtube appears to be on a whole "hey check out me play" frenzy as opposed to actually demoing the pickups efficiently. So I don't have that good of an idea from that. They do seem to be mainly focused with metal... not sure if that's correct but I want to stay away from that genre.
Quote by Physcosick
Well I figured it'd go here cause I'm mostly worried about which pickups to choose as opposed to how to customize it. I'm kind of worried about screwing it up myself which is why I'm asking people that have actually done it before. I'm not concerned with resale value, I bought it for $100 US.

It is a wood guitar... I think basswood. My amp is a Crate MX120R. I definitely wasn't planing on an active.

I'm trying to look into these DiMarzio pickups but everyone on youtube appears to be on a whole "hey check out me play" frenzy as opposed to actually demoing the pickups efficiently. So I don't have that good of an idea from that. They do seem to be mainly focused with metal... not sure if that's correct but I want to stay away from that genre.

The amp clips in my profile were recorded with a Breed-equipped guitar.

And you were planning on an active because you said you were looking at an EMG 81 for the bridge.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 15, 2009,
I'm checking out your profile. By amp clips do you mean the fallen angel set of clips? If so it sounds similar to what I'm looking. It might work. I still have to look into EMGs some more...

Also, I don't recall bringing up emg 81s (even though 81/85 is the common setup)... but emg does has passive bridge pickups, too. Though I'm glad it was brought up because I wouldn't have thought of active requiring more digging.