Hey guys, despite the fact that I've been playing for two years, I'm gonna come across as a bit of a 'tard for asking this.
Basically, on a guitar with a neck and bridge pickup, which is the standard postion for lead, and which is the standard for rythym? I have always played lead on the neck pup and rythym on the bridge, but I've been told this isn't 'standard'. i realise different pups give different tones, so you don't necessarily have to play lead on just the neck or just the bridge, if you get what i'm saying, but it'd be nice to know.
thanks.
2009 Gibson Explorer - 2008 Washburn Idol WI45f - 1965 MiJ Ibanez Salvador Classical
Bogner Alchemist 40w 1x12" - Marshall MG10CD
It doesn't matter really, its what sound/tone you're going for on your leads. Traditionally yes the bridge pickup is the lead pickup but then what about guitar with just one pup like mine right? If you like to solo on the neck theres nothing wrong with that, lots do it. There are no rules
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
no your right, it's not standard

the neck is generally for rhythm and bridge for lead
but i'm like you funnily enough
i find i can use the bridge on my tele for most things and only really break out the neck for thick leads

screw the orthodox man, just do what sounds best with it
I use Bridge for rythm and the Neck for leads, when Im playing metal

I switch it up however for other stuff though.
Depends what music you play. In Metal, bridge is lead becasue it stands out more, but in lighter rock its the neck becasue of the warmer smoother tone.

Fender Telecaster w/ GFS Lil' Killer
Jet City Pico Valve

Quote by Chaos-Serenade

The fretboard is dry because it is more than likely made in China.

I wonder how he came to this conclusion.
Lyrics
Inside the back
Walk with me
Reign, Rain

Call me Drew
wait wait wait...

what?

I've always hear of neck being lead for the smoothness...
Yeah, for metal rhythm if you try and use the neck, it will sound like mud. But for leads its nice depeding on what your going for.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
normally it is the neck for rhythm and bridge for leads (why gibson pickup toggles have the little "rhythm/lead" ring under the toggle switch), but it's really up to the player. i use my bridge for just about everything, and use my neck pickups for cleans (depending on the guitar).

some people (like me) just want to use the bridge pickup for everything and use a volume boost for leads or soloing. it's a cool way to have your guitar sound like you want but still cut through to be heard when it needs to.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I always use the neck for the b and e strings because it sounds smooth. And when I'm playing rhythm I like the bridge for a higher output.
you played us

as both a cancer and a cure
Squier Tele Custom
Laney TF300
Just use whatever sounds right.

I mean, I play lead and rhythm on whatever pickup better suits the tone I want.

Warm lead, play neck. Warm rhythm, play neck. Want to go bright? Use the bridge.
There is NO real standard. Most times I play it all on one pickup as it suits the tone I want better for that occasion.
But, I sometimes play all 3 pups as the variety incites multiple voices/tones.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Nov 15, 2009,
The bridge pickup has a more treble sound, the neck pickup has a warmer sound
For metal - bridge is the way to go (you can still see some people using the neck pup)
For blues/overdrive - neck pickup is the way to go
Traditionaly the bridge is the lead pickup (treble pickup)
In metal, the bridge works better for rhythm, and neck works well for lead because of the smoother, warmer tone, which makes it stand out of the mix more.