Hey guys,

i would need some help. hmmm i am currently stuck between 2 bass.

1. Musicman stingray
and
2. Fender American deluxe jazz bass.

Hmmm, i play songs' genre like gospel,rock,blues,pop,jazz. hmmm but i dun really know wat to get. my budget is arnd 2.6k. anyone can help me out?? =) and also i am use to 4 strings. but 5 strings can play more variety. hmm and i also not sure whether to get 4 or 5 strings.

thnks guys

cheers
david
Tone-wise, my experiences with the stingray are that its very good for aggressive, cut-through style playing. But I didn't really care for its regular old groovin tone, its not really a smooth sound. I do love the feel of the stingray tho, really fast and smooth.

I'd go with the jazz if I was you, but its all about your preferences.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
a bass such as the HS Sterling would seem to be the best compromise.

4-5?

your choice. I'd just go 4 because I'm a cheap ass and never took advantage of my extra B string when I had one, only using it when I needed a low D.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
well if you play jazz and gospel and things like that get a 4 string. Probably get a fender deluxe if you want more of a classic sound and a stingray if you want more of a new agey sound.
Quote by turd_ferguson
[0:17] If my parents knew I was part of a group who celebrated christmas by drinking cough syrup they would probably cry

WEATHERER, the greatest band ever.
always the stingray, always.

i feel a stingray could do anything that a fender could do
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
i think the jazz would be the most versitile you can get a very sweet metal/rock tone out of it and it still has a genteler side for some blues/classic/slower music.

if you decided to get a stingray i suggest the single-coil neck pu/ MM humbucker bridge configuration
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Their both really good bass's, and im not going to say which one you should get. With that much money, its really down to you, as this could be the instrument you have for the rest of your life. Also 2.6K go try some other bass's, What currency is that. You can get alot of custom bass's for that much.
Go and play them both and others. No point in limiting your choice to two.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
if you have 2.6k get the musicman 25th
I shot JR

Ide try out a warwick.You cant really go wrong with them.But then again im a warwick freak =) cant help it. My opinion between the stingray and the fender tho ide proly go with the stingray. There both good high end instruments.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
What you should also consider is that 'Musicman Basses' are what Leo Fender couldn't produce until he had parted from Fender due to the success of his Fender Basses.
Musicman Stingray is what Leo wanted to do with the Precision but he was trapped by the success of it.
I always wanted the two pickup Musicman bass in the 70 but could never afford one.

The elctrics on the Musicman were better than those on the De-Luxe fenders; so out of the two brands I'd go for the MM HH.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
again check the music man 25th, it has incredibly complex electronics a couple possible pickup configurations, check it out it's pretty cool.
I shot JR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd7r0PdVnU

does it sound like them? not as much as that wacko in the newsie hat thinks. but, it sounds close enough that it could do both quite well.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
a bass such as the HS Sterling would seem to be the best compromise.

4-5?

your choice. I'd just go 4 because I'm a cheap ass and never took advantage of my extra B string when I had one, only using it when I needed a low D.

I played an HS stingray (I think it was a Stingray, could have been a Sterling I guess tho), and the single coil was basically worthless, no warmth.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
Personally i would go with the jazz, i was disappointed when i played a stingray where as i was surprised with how good the jazz was great tone and plays well.
although i'm not a fan of either company, i would say go for the musicman.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by nesveikuolis
Stingray 5 sting or spector 5 string.
The preamps on the Euros suck IMO. Never made sense to me why a bass almost half the price has a better preamp...
Quote by slaptasticdave
I played an HS stingray (I think it was a Stingray, could have been a Sterling I guess tho), and the single coil was basically worthless, no warmth.

really?

I found the single coil to be very nice sounding myself.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
really?

I found the single coil to be very nice sounding myself.

Didn't do it for me
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
I'd say Musicman here, I love Jazz's, but the I find the playability on MM's to be superior. With that kind of money though, you have a lot of options, so unless your 100% set on one of these two basses, you might want to explore other brands
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by benx3000
well if you play jazz and gospel and things like that get a 4 string. Probably get a fender deluxe if you want more of a classic sound and a stingray if you want more of a new agey sound.

That extra bottom is quite nice on gospel, and is really nice on more modern jazz. Also, the versatility is useful higher up on the neck. (past 5th fret, not really past 12th)

Also, in case studio working is in your future, the 5th will come in handy.
You have a pretty large budget so you might want to check out some of these other brands:

Sadowsky
Sandburg
G&L
Lakland
Warwick
Spector
Quote by Captain Insano
You have a pretty large budget so you might want to check out some of these other brands:

Sadowsky
Sandburg
G&L
Lakland
Warwick
Spector

This

If you like the Stingray and the Fender Jazz's, you should especially look at G&L, as its the "other" brand co-started by Leo Fender and using his designs. G&L's are pretty much twists on traditional Fender designs, but are of a much higher quality then anything Fender makes barring the horrendously expensive Custom Shop.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thnks guys!! hmmm know of anywhere i can try GnL,Sadowsky,Sandburg,Lakland,Spector. i am nt really a fan of warwick. hmm yea. so guys know of anywhere to try out these brands?? =
Well, where do you live? You local music stores would be the best place. If your in the US, Guitar Centers will occasionally carry G&L's, Spectors, and Laklands. Sadowsky is a bit harder to find, and I've never even seen a Sandberg in person before. Basically, your going to have to visit as many music shops as possible to find them, or if you know anyone who owns one who might let you play it.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
i am living in Singapore. yea. so is kinda hard to find some of those brands mentioned.