Page 1 of 3
Just wondering what are some things about what other guitar players do that you don't get why they do it.

What inspired this thread was a few minutes ago I saw in someones sig that they use a certain kind of pick, and I thought "really I don't see why the type of pick matters". I mean I can understand thin picks or thick picks (I use thicker ones myself), but to be honest if need be I can use any pick I find.. I've used pennies, random pieces of wood, like does it really matter that much? I've never had a preference.. At my local music store when you buy something over $100 they let you dunk your hand in their jar full of picks and take a handful, they are 1mm's and I use those just fine, I've got tons of them..
Herman Li sucked ass until he started using computer amps, WTF?
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
I don't get why guitarists who hold the pick really weird don't change. I have a friend who has serious wrist pains when he plays but refuses to change the way he picks.
that's because you haven't tried jazz iiis.

only half joking.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Picks can have a suprising effect on tone and feel. Thicker, stiffer picks have a sharper attack and smaller picks are often easier to play with - though some can prefer thinner. Thinner picks generally work best for acoustic strumming I find.

Also, that sounds like a fantastic idea with the jar of picks.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

only half joking.

This.
Except I'm not joking at all. I hate regular picks. I refuse to use anything but Dunlop Jazz III. I prefer the Ultex, because they get more grip live, but I'll use any of them.
Quote by beetroot10
how i am better then all of them.

how they are all better than me
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by MetalUpYourRear
This.
Except I'm not joking at all. I hate regular picks. I refuse to use anything but Dunlop Jazz III. I prefer the Ultex, because they get more grip live, but I'll use any of them.

I just started using Jazz III's about a week ago. They're quite nice.
I started using Jazz III's about 6 months ago and never looked back. They're the only pick I'll ever use anymore.
well they should be the only pick anyone uses anymore. problem solved. but really i love them too.
But what I don't get is when a guitaris will turn something into a competition when it's not meant to be.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
I cant stand those tiny picks. I cant ever get a good grip, they always fall out of my hand. I use tortex ones. The green or black ones.
Why must they touch my guitar, I do not touch theirs, yet they continue with the touching, and smudging AHHH!

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I don't get when people smash their guitars.

Edit: Oh, and since everyone is talking about their favorite picks, my favorite is a Dunlop .88 Tortex, and when I can't get those, I use the Fender version of it.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

only half joking.

I've been using them since I caught one at the Bodom show. Even said goodbye to the stubby
Last edited by Oroborous at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
I don't get when people smash their guitars.

I know right. Its like i want to run up on stage and say "hey smash mine and i'll take yours".
epic7734
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

only half joking.

+1
They're a nice pick. Once you go jazz III, you can't go back (you actually can, I do use any pick, but jazz III's are the shit)
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by jmonko
BTW, I love you avatar.
I really want a cock or two but the one I want is like $2000.

wut

/bored
Quote by jmonko
Ha, I meant to say that to slipknot5678. oops.

Yea I knew that. I was just messing your words up. For tiny shits and tiny giggles
Smashing guitars. I mean, unless you buy some 20$ ones that will never last and for each one you break, donate one to a child. Now THAT is br00tal!
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
Quote by slipknot5678
I don't get how people use different things as picks

I tried before. Coins, cardboard, whatever. It's a real pain to play with.

I've even tried playing with my
Quote by chaoticfables

Quote by chaoticfables

Carefully prepared fingernails for classical style?
Quote by Alex Vik
Oh, and since everyone is talking about their favorite picks, my favorite is a Dunlop .88 Tortex

THIS.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I love the Jazz IIIs. Started on the tortex tear drops until my friend introduced me to the Jazz IIIs. Now if i can't find any Jazz IIIs at a shop i don't get any other picks. XD
Tons of fret noise on recordings, using riddiculous amounts of gain and not using your pinky.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

only half joking.

Jazz III ftw.
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

only half joking.

I'd say 1/4 of a joke, 3/4 of truth
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
I play with a VERY thin metal pick. I love it. Never wears out, so I can actually get used to it.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I play with a VERY thin metal pick. I love it. Never wears out, so I can actually get used to it.

+1

I don't like picks that bend, but I often find that thick ones can be annyoing when picking. So metal picks are perfect, and they have a nice sound to them aswell.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I don't get why other guitarists name their guitars. It's dumb.

I also hate it when they're really precious with them. If mine gets a mark/scratch I don't really care, but some guitarists would chuck a huge hissy fit.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Page 1 of 3