Hi All,

I'm wanting to add more power to my solo's/lead work sound.

Would I be better off getting a TS9 or some form of boost pedal? If a boost pedal is the way to go, what should I keep my eye out for. My gear is in my signature (The ME-50 is being sold to finance this, and there is also a Vox Wah in my rig).

Cheers!
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonerider British Distortion
Tonerider American Overdrive
Boss DD7
Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker
Treble Booster.
Last edited by bicko19 at Nov 15, 2009,
a boost pedal is the way to go it seems
any od pedal can be used fora boost pedal but i'd try and test out a TS9
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
So basically, the boost pedal will just boost the signal of my amp, where as if I went with an OD, I'd have a bit more versatility being able to change around gains and such?

Pardon my lack of knowledge on this subject, trying to get my head around it all
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
Quote by bicko19
So basically, the boost pedal will just boost the signal of my amp, where as if I went with an OD, I'd have a bit more versatility being able to change around gains and such?

yes, though both are capable of pushing your front end (preamp tubes) a bit harder... sounds to me like what you want is an OD, not a clean boost. there's a world of them out there. hit up the search bar for lists. in the past coupla' weeks there have been a few rather comprehensive "who's who" of OD list threads.
Alright, i'll hit up some lists and see what I can find!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
Maxon OD9 > Keeley mod TS9

personal sound preference tho. some people get a better sound out of the TS9. its all about trying different OD's out and finding the one that suits you best, like the OD9 did for me.
My Band: Throat Hammer (Blackened Thrash)

BLACKSTAR* BRIGADE

AMT ARMY- SSG SLAUGHTER

Blackstar HT100 & 4-12-Fulltone O.C.D./AMT P1-Jackson RR24RM (EMG 81 in bridge)-Ibanez RG321/SD Blackouts
The reason TS9s are used rather than clean boosts is because they cut the bass and boost the mids. You could probably use an eq pedal to get a similar effect, but then you wouldn't have the added versatility of the gain control which gives you some more harmonic distortion.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by FischmungaXTR
The reason TS9s are used rather than clean boosts is because they cut the bass and boost the mids. You could probably use an eq pedal to get a similar effect, but then you wouldn't have the added versatility of the gain control which gives you some more harmonic distortion.

+1. The mid boost and the additional gain you get with an overdrive or even an EQ (as opposed to just a clean boost) is what really allows your solo to cut through.

The Maxon ODs and the Ibanez Tubescreamers (TS) are my personal preferences.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by FischmungaXTR

Although this is true, I have to disagree that this is the best way to EQ a lead tone. A big low end is great for warm, thick leads, and sounds a lot less brittle than cut lows. Check out Andy Timmons for an example of this tone. For reference, he uses an Xotic Effects BB Preamp for his OD/Solo boosts.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
getting a little off topic here, but the "right" tone for a lead/solo is the one that works best in the mix... that can mean many things, it can also mean that more than one thing could work within the same song.
I was doing some research, checked out some videos on youtube (no decisions will be made until I've tried them out) but I'm keeping my eye on a TS9, and the OCD but I also came across

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=3

Would the Blue Java be suitable for my needs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z58dbdr6go&feature=PlayList&p=FD666AEEEF19BA1A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=25

I checked out that review on youtube and i liked what it could do.

Thanks for all the help so far people!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
blue java is a germanium boost, not an OD, and not a clean boost. it works best either in front of an OD or into an already overdriven tube amp. what it does, essentially, is it boosts certain higher frequencies to add a little old-school flavor. personally, i prefer retroman's beano germanium boost in this category... not often that something tops keeley in my book.

if it gives the sound you're looking for, there ya go, but you might also like a more traditional OD... maybe...?
Guess I'll just have to keep the research going until I really settle on what I want. I'll keep posting here for advice/opinions in the meantime though. I'll probably head down to the local music stores at some point this week and see what they've got.

Cheers for your help thus far bro.
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.