Anyone have any ideas for a decent whisper volume / headphone amp under $150?
I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that while I love my v16 / Bv160 into v16 when I can turn them up to at least conversational levels, they are overpowered for most of the time when I play and can't sound good that low. I mainly play my Damien 7 and I like to sounds similar to Remission era Mastodon and recent Earth.
Also/or maybe a stereotypical Rusty Cooley/Dragonforce shred tone would be good.

I know it's asking a lot, but I understand I'll have to take what I can get that'll come close enough.
I already have a 30, and unless there's a way to get rid of that digital zing at the end of every note, it's too irritating to enjoy :/
Maybe a firmware update? I have the Peavey and can get a good tone at low volumes, but not 'whisper' volumes.
its pretty hard to get good tone at whisper volumes, have you considered getting a POD?
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
just dont plug your guitar in. anything else will be louder than a whisper
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by westdyolf
its pretty hard to get good tone at whisper volumes, have you considered getting a POD?

+1

my advice and mistake i learned over the years .. dont get a tube amp for whisper volume .

at whisper the tube sound fake and compressed and hissing ( hard to described ) and you cant barely play . the sound is horrible .

im using my behringer v-amp 2 into headphone . it does the job for around 60 $ .

or ( if you dont wanna play with heapdhone ) you can just plug your cab in the headphone output of a pod or v-amp and you would get the sound .

but dont get anything tube ...tube cant sound good at whisper volume .

and vox amplug are good headphone amp !!! i have the ac30 and metal and im very pleased by both .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Nov 15, 2009,
+1..^...That is a good idea too.

Quote by Skysc

+1

my advice and mistake i learned over the years .. dont get a tube amp for whisper volume .

at whisper the tube sound fake and compressed and hissing ( hard to described ) and you cant barely play . the sound is horrible .

im using my behringer v-amp 2 into headphone . it does the job for around 60 $ .

or ( if you dont wanna play with heapdhone ) you can just plug your cab in the headphone output of a pod or v-amp and you would get the sound .

but dont get anything tube ...tube cant sound good at whisper volume .

and vox amplug are good headphone amp !!! i have the ac30 and metal and im very pleased by both .

We're not talking about a tube amp. We are talking about 15w solid state Vypyr. Also, I don't think you can plug a Pod into a guitar speaker cabinet.

TS - I didn't realize you already had a Vypyr 30. That would have been good to put in your OP since you are asking about headphones. I work on the firmware update as mentioned before doing anything else.
I will try the update as soon as I can find someone to lend me a midi usb cable, I'm not buying one to use once, I would feel like an ass returning it
Maybe get some computer modeling software and a decent interface?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1..^...That is a good idea too.

We're not talking about a tube amp. We are talking about 15w solid state Vypyr. Also, I don't think you can plug a Pod into a guitar speaker cabinet.

TS - I didn't realize you already had a Vypyr 30. That would have been good to put in your OP since you are asking about headphones. I work on the firmware update as mentioned before doing anything else.

i think if you buy a power amp or something you may be able to put a pod into a speaker cab, but i recomended the pod for headphone use, it has great sound in a great package
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
i meant you can use the heapdhone output of the POD and plug your cabinet in .. it will be whisper volume but will sound good .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
I recommend a modeler like a Valvetronix. I haven't played a tube vypyr, but a modeler with a tube poweramp would be useless for headphone play anyway.

Last three clips on my page are valvetronix direct, which is how it sounds through headphones.
Quote by imgooley
I recommend a modeler like a Valvetronix. I haven't played a tube vypyr, but a modeler with a tube poweramp would be useless for headphone play anyway.

Last three clips on my page are valvetronix direct, which is how it sounds through headphones.

Goolz - he already has a Vypyr 30 and the tube Vypyrs have a headphone jack so you can 'go both ways' just like you would the SS versions.