Page 1 of 3
So im not just referring to beginners/inexpensive stuff, just generally gear that is the least liked, least reliable or has the worst tone/features.

The Digitech RP line of multifx was pretty dire. Very stale and digital obviously and was unreliable (i had an old 90s unit and it was pretty expensive). Also the Dean guitars ive used have been very badly made.
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by WtrPlyr

Kinda pointless thread, as gear is probably mostly subjective.

well isnt that the point of an internet forum to give opinion and form debate?
my secondary gear: epiphone sg junior, and an epiphone studio 10s amp. i want to kill my self everytime i play it
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
Other than the usual spider, mg and metal zone....

The Squier Champ 15...absolutely awful..
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I won't follow what everyone else says because they say it, but here's the bad gear I've played.

BC Rich Avenge
BC Rich Warlock (neck was fairly nice though)
Squier Avril Lavinge Signature Telecaster (Heavy as hell and the neck was really bad)
Spider III
Spider IV
Boss distortions
Marshall JVM410H, but I was playing it really quiet, so that might explain it
Epiphone Explorer
Some Ibanez 10 watt amp
Vox Pathfinder
Marshall MG
Epiphone Thunderbird
Gibson Thunderbird
Jackson Kelly
Fender Frontman
Epiphone Les Paul bass

Holy hell I've played a lot of stuff. This doesn't even include the good things I've played.
Samick nylon string guitars.... it's pretty much what my highschool could afford for the music department, aside from a Yamaha electric and bass, as well as some cheapy amps. But yes they were dreadful. One even had a snapped neck... so they taped it up.

On a side note, but still relevant, I have an RP 150, and I'm fairly happy with it, but also got it for a great price. If I got it when it came out for full price, I wouldn't be happy with it probs.
Quote by Alex Vik
I won't follow what everyone else says because they say it, but here's the bad gear I've played.

BC Rich Avenge
BC Rich Warlock (neck was fairly nice though)
Squier Avril Lavinge Signature Telecaster (Heavy as hell and the neck was really bad)
Spider III
Spider IV
Boss distortions
Marshall JVM410H, but I was playing it really quiet, so that might explain it
Epiphone Explorer
Some Ibanez 10 watt amp
Vox Pathfinder
Marshall MG
Epiphone Thunderbird
Gibson Thunderbird
Jackson Kelly
Fender Frontman
Epiphone Les Paul bass

Holy hell I've played a lot of stuff. This doesn't even include the good things I've played.

yeah the kelly was awful (most of the 80s 90s jackson i tried were crap. I actually bought 2 kellys because i liked the shape so much!
Hmm, bad gear.
  • Boss Distortions
  • Squier Affinity Strat <- neck was awful
  • Epiphone Les Paul Standard <- Worst QC I have ever seen on anything
  • Peavey Vyper <- hard to dial in anything but mud
  • Dean Razorback
  • Marshall Jackhammer
  • Cheap wah pedals
  • Ibanez RG & S series <- necks are horrific to play on
  • Line 6 Spider II & III <- Was forced to use one of each at various gigs
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Fender Frontmans..
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Anything in my school's music department, they buy quantity instead of quality.
I may not have a brain, gentlemen, but I have an idea...
Quote by WtrPlyr

Kinda pointless thread, as gear is probably mostly subjective.

The internet - kind of pointless then, as everything is mostly subjective.
I was shocked by the rubbishness of the last gibby LP studio I played. Granted there's inconsistency and it's a low end model, but it just felt plain bad.

Disclaimer: * This is my opinion entirely, feel free to disagree, I don't mean to bash*
^ Also, this is why the thread wont work TS
Krankenstein....$5000 or so $AUS and its the biggest steaming pile of garbage, thank god i didnt buy it
I was REALLY dissapointed by the Marshall JVM. Total piece of crap if you ask me. A lot of possibilities and tones, but none of them are really good. And it's noisy as hell.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by SimplyBen
Hmm, bad gear.
  • Boss Distortions
  • Dean Razorback
  • Marshall Jackhammer
  • Cheap wah pedals

those i disagree with.

many boss distortions such as the DS-1 can be good, in the right hands, and marshall jackhammers can also be good if you are willing to spend hours trying to dial in the right tone. in both cases they are much better when combined with a tube amp, preferably with a little gain - with boss, the sterile dry-ness gains some character due to the nature of the tube break up, and that will also smooth out the fizzy overtones and spluttery sustain the jackhammer has.

also my opinion swings both ways with the squier affinity strat/epiphone les paul standard. Some epiphone les pauls are very nice, it's just that most of them tend to feel kind of cumbersome with very little to offer in the way of tone, and indeed it is because of the obvious shortcomings with the quality control, but they aren't all victims of it. Likewise the same applies to squier's lower end models. I've never seen 2 squiers that were anything alike, especially with the necks - the profile and even the construction of the necks are so varied and occasionally you'll find one that's nearly as nice to play as a fender, but that's quite rare. this may just be my opinion but i seem to find that the necks with the skunk stripes tend to be a little better quality.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
So im not just referring to beginners/inexpensive stuff, just generally gear that is the least liked, least reliable or has the worst tone/features.

The Digitech RP line of multifx was pretty dire. Very stale and digital obviously and was unreliable (i had an old 90s unit and it was pretty expensive). Also the Dean guitars ive used have been very badly made.

Did you play the entire line?

Some of mine:

Boss DS-1 (very unimpressed with my mate's one that I tried, too trebley).

Fender Frontman 212R 100w (I own this and the 15w version and the 15w is half decent, the 100w sucks balls...)

Spider III.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
the original marshall plexi was very unreliable ive been told.

prone to overheating.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by SimplyBen
Hmm, bad gear.
  • Boss Distortions
  • Dean Razorback
  • Marshall Jackhammer
  • Cheap wah pedals

I know the subject of this thread is subjective, but are you out of your god damn mind on the RG series necks???

I'll also agree with another poster that I was extremely disappointed in the Marshall JVM I played. Any channel, any volume, I couldn't get a tone I would even consider using. But again, it's all a personal preference when it comes to sounds and equipment, same as with music.
Last edited by PSM at Nov 15, 2009,
JVM410 Combo. Didn't really like it that much. I had it turned up pretty decently too in GC's soundproof room.

Played a Nomad 50 head, and really could not find a tone I liked. It was muddy and... not that great. Also, not a big fan of the Express series.

JCM 2000 was okay, but definitely not my favorite. Kinda fizzy.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by James13v
Did you play the entire line?

That's what I thought. My RP-300A had some pretty amazing features.
Quote by PSM
I know the subject of this thread is subjective, but are you out of your god damn mind on the RG series necks???

I'll also agree with another poster that I was extremely disappointed in the Marshall JVM I played. Any channel, any volume, I couldn't get a tone I would even consider using. But again, it's all a personal preference when it comes to sounds and equipment, same as with music.

Hey it's subjective. For me it's the worst and possibly most uncomfortable neck shape I have ever played on. I could not pull a solo off in the same way I can solo on a tele or an SG neck shape

What kind of genre do you play, out of interest?

Quote by Blompcube
those i disagree with.

many boss distortions such as the DS-1 can be good, in the right hands, and marshall jackhammers can also be good if you are willing to spend hours trying to dial in the right tone. in both cases they are much better when combined with a tube amp, preferably with a little gain - with boss, the sterile dry-ness gains some character due to the nature of the tube break up, and that will also smooth out the fizzy overtones and spluttery sustain the jackhammer has.

also my opinion swings both ways with the squier affinity strat/epiphone les paul standard. Some epiphone les pauls are very nice, it's just that most of them tend to feel kind of cumbersome with very little to offer in the way of tone, and indeed it is because of the obvious shortcomings with the quality control, but they aren't all victims of it. Likewise the same applies to squier's lower end models. I've never seen 2 squiers that were anything alike, especially with the necks - the profile and even the construction of the necks are so varied and occasionally you'll find one that's nearly as nice to play as a fender, but that's quite rare. this may just be my opinion but i seem to find that the necks with the skunk stripes tend to be a little better quality.

With distortions I may have made a bit of a sweeping generalisation I mean there are some guys on here who praise the HM-2 to no end but I've never tried them. The DS-1, yeah it has potential I just felt that I would really have to try hard to find that spot where it shone and I just didn't have the time for it. Same with the jackhammer.

I do agree with you on the varying quality but for me it's too much of a risk because there's no epi' stockist near me so I have to order online which it's too much of a pot luck thing which IMO makes it a bad piece of gear. With every guitar there's going to be differences and in some cases you might easily find the best of the bunch but IMO it's not worth it, some Epi's & Squier are quite nice I agree, I actually prefer my G400 to the Gibby's I played, just feels nicer.

Swampash & LezPaulEpi' I quite often get called stupid for disliking vypers.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

I absolutely hated my friend's boss GT6, never really been able to dial in distorted sounds. But I guess that was just me being impatient (or stupid, can't really tell).

Oh, and I once happened to try out the infamous metal zone on a Brunetti Pirata head (don't ask, the shop owner was just being stubborn- according to him, I just HAD to try it!!111!!!). of course it sounded like sh*t.
Ibanez JEM 555 > Line 6 POD XT Live > Behringer MS16 Monitor Speakers

"Asked us if we were happy, we said we didn't know...
Took us by the hands and up we go..."

Italians do it better.
MG really doesn't belong on the list of bad amps... just overpriced for its sound. I went to a guitar store yesterday, and their guitarist was demoing a Marshall JCM 2000. I acted impressed by it, but I wasn't a fan of the sound it made at all, unless the guy was playing jazz(I don't listen to many clean amps, so that may be why it sounded good.) He played the MG sitting next to it, and I would have to say it wasn't bad, just not something I would pay more than about $150 for.

AXL/Johnson Reptone 15... Would make a spider sound like a Mesa.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by SimplyBen
Hmm, bad gear.
  • Boss Distortions
  • Dean Razorback
  • Marshall Jackhammer
  • Cheap wah pedals

im guessing you dont play metal.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Darkflame
^i hate metal and never even tried to play it, but i love my rgt42fx's neck
metal isn't everything lol

i know that but the RG and S series neck's are well suited for metal, but i didnt say its only for metal
feel free to add me
Quote by SimplyBen
Hey it's subjective. For me it's the worst and possibly most uncomfortable neck shape I have ever played on. I could not pull a solo off in the same way I can solo on a tele or an SG neck shape

What kind of genre do you play, out of interest?

Yeah, I know it's subjective. There are a lot of different style necks I like playing depending on the genre. The music I am typically playing is in my profile, though. If you like a tele or SG neck, I can absolutely see why you'd hate the Wizard neck. COMPLETELY different.
Quote by Darkflame
i know bud, i'm teasing you

oh you!
feel free to add me
line 6 spider II is the most horrid crap i've ever played through.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
These forums are atrocious.

That is all.

One person says they dislike something (JVM for example) and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. I bet more than half of you haven't even played on one. Really is quite pathetic and childish.

Yes it sounds horrendous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZH1IivStFg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmTr-6Xh9fE&feature=related

It might not be your thing but worst gear of all time? Honestly, i doubt Satriani and Mustaine would put up with the worst amp of all time.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
im guessing you dont play metal.

Nope I occasionally venture into some Metallica or Trivium, but I much prefer to do so on a nice thick neck. I did go through metal though when I'd just started playing, hence why I owned the Razorback and such.

Quote by PSM
Yeah, I know it's subjective. There are a lot of different style necks I like playing depending on the genre. The music I am typically playing is in my profile, though. If you like a tele or SG neck, I can absolutely see why you'd hate the Wizard neck. COMPLETELY different.

I'm not really like that, once I'm adjusted to a certain style of thing I like to stick with it and I make work for all different kinds of stuff. I just hate how the wizard neck flattens out at the back and it's so thin, there's nothing to grab hold of and it starts to hurt my wrist after a while.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Quote by SimplyBen
Hmm, bad gear.
  • Boss Distortions
  • Dean Razorback
  • Marshall Jackhammer
  • Cheap wah pedals

For bedroom amps, you could do a lot worse. Of course, I wouldn't go any higher than the 15w amp, as that money is better spent on a higher end amp.

I find this to be incredulous though. Wizard 2 necks are wicked fast and comfortable. I like to joke with strat players (by this I mean Fender) that their necks are like baseball bats. It's all fun and games until they start swinging them like such.
Fender players are a touchy bunch.

Everything else on that list I agree with.
Page 1 of 3