Hey guys.

So I work for more than a year at a call center, for a cable/Internet/Telephone company, one of the biggest in the country.

Iv'e been working as a supervisor over there for about 9 months now.

Today I got a call from the company on my day off, saying that they want to interview me tomorrow to be an instructor for the new Course that they are about to open.
Basically teaching them everything I know for work.

I was so happy, because it's something I really enjoy doing, teaching. I think I'm good at it, I have a lot of patience, I can get the messege across in a good way, and I'm easy going.

If they choose me, I'll do a great job, I'm sure of it.

So basically they asked me to come up with some sort of teaching plan for something. anything. they just want to see how I teach, what are the steps, how do I approach this. this can be about any subject ever.

So I come here for advice on some subjects, how I can present it as a teacher to a class, any tips?

Cheers.
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
I hate getting calls from call centres.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
geetar_man0, fail, but thanks for the effort.

papershredder, we actually provide customer service, not telemarketing, if that makes you feel better.
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
If you need help with your lesson plan from the Pit...

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
You could try throwing a curveball and giving them an activity that the people monitoring your teaching would be impressed with, shows initiative
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Quote by faqu
geetar_man0, fail, but thanks for the effort.

Maybe make a powerpoint? Or provide the students with Either single or double sided sheets of paper with things they can learn/revise in their own time?

If i was teaching, I would first start off by finding out what your students know. And then work around what they know...

How many people would you be teaching at a time roughly?
Quote by faqu

papershredder, we actually provide customer service, not telemarketing, if that makes you feel better.

Oh thats good, customer service is good. I hate telemarketing.
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Wow an 03'er, I thought you'd all left.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
*enter the teacher*

okay so lessons generally follow this format; Introduction, main activity/the main part of what you want to get across to them, then the plenary (conclusion).

you'll need an objective... something that they're going to get from the lesson.

you start the introduction with the lesson objective... you basically tell them what it is that you're going to teach them. it'd be even better if you had this on a flipchart/powerpoint the whole time so they can stay focussed.

you then introduce how you're going to get them to meet the objective... possibly by giving them some 'success criteria'... eg. 'you'll know you've met the objective because you've done X,Y and Z'.

then give them the rest of the introduction, give them the skills they'll need to meet the objective (i don't know what it'll be in your case, is it working with the computer software? or building up people skills?).

then set them off on the activity, whether it's completing a task on the computers, or working with a partner to greet someone on the phone properly.

remember to walk around and ensure everyone is on task and that they're not having problems. if a few people are having the same problem, bring everyone together and explain it to the group as a whole.

remember to give them a time limit for the activity 'you've got 15mins to do this'

then after the activity, refer back to your learning objective and then go through the success criteria to ensure they've all understood what it is that they've done and how they've achieved it.

remember to smile lots, ask questions, don't talk too fast and make eye contact.

if you're being observed by your boss or whoever, give them a summary of your lesson plan before hand. and have a copy in front of you incase you need to look at it... don't read from a script!!!

hope that helpppssssss =]
Quote by Birchall17
Wow an 03'er, I thought you'd all left.

dinnnnngggggggggggggg
Quote by faqu
So basically they asked me to come up with some sort of teaching plan for something. anything. they just want to see how I teach, what are the steps, how do I approach this. this can be about any subject ever.

So I come here for advice on some subjects, how I can present it as a teacher to a class, any tips?

Cheers.
Teach them how to TEACH!

Define the scope of the knowledge.
Set goals.
Define Terminology
Use visual aids: Chart/graphs/pictures
Present an overview
Discuss specifics
Review and summarize
Test for knowledge retention.
Feedback (for individual use)
Feedback (for improvement in lesson plan)
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Robbbbb, that's a good idea, but I have a feeling they won't like it very much.
I think they're looking at something a bit more serious, but not too serious.

geetar_man0, I'm not actually teaching anybody yet. they just want to see the way I think, and the way I plan on teaching, and getting my point across. it's just a small oral presentation.

Birchall17, we're still here. been through a lot since 2003 on these boards... Been a CC, a mod, a sex slave for the russians, just name it, Iv'e done it all.

Oh!
nevermind...

UG Profile
Quote by geetar_man0

Maybe make a powerpoint? Or provide the students with Either single or double sided sheets of paper with things they can learn/revise in their own time?
?

Please god no.
Quote by webbtje
Please god no.

But....but i thought........I........ah.....I......

>_>
Quote by Shyne
*enter the teacher*

okay so lessons generally follow this format; Introduction, main activity/the main part of what you want to get across to them, then the plenary (conclusion).

you'll need an objective... something that they're going to get from the lesson.

you start the introduction with the lesson objective... you basically tell them what it is that you're going to teach them. it'd be even better if you had this on a flipchart/powerpoint the whole time so they can stay focussed.

you then introduce how you're going to get them to meet the objective... possibly by giving them some 'success criteria'... eg. 'you'll know you've met the objective because you've done X,Y and Z'.

then give them the rest of the introduction, give them the skills they'll need to meet the objective (i don't know what it'll be in your case, is it working with the computer software? or building up people skills?).

then set them off on the activity, whether it's completing a task on the computers, or working with a partner to greet someone on the phone properly.

remember to walk around and ensure everyone is on task and that they're not having problems. if a few people are having the same problem, bring everyone together and explain it to the group as a whole.

remember to give them a time limit for the activity 'you've got 15mins to do this'

then after the activity, refer back to your learning objective and then go through the success criteria to ensure they've all understood what it is that they've done and how they've achieved it.

remember to smile lots, ask questions, don't talk too fast and make eye contact.

if you're being observed by your boss or whoever, give them a summary of your lesson plan before hand. and have a copy in front of you incase you need to look at it... don't read from a script!!!

hope that helpppssssss =]

Wow, that's actually REALLY helpfull!
thank you for the time you took to write this.

It'll be great IF they accept me.
Right now I need ideas of something to pitch in the form of teaching, like, how am I going to teach different things.

UG Profile
Quote by geetar_man0
But....but i thought........I........ah.....I......

>_>

It's seriously the most useless thing ever when most people use it, as they just read off what's written on it, using it as an excuse to frame a photo or a block of text with pretty little colours.
Quote by faqu
Wow, that's actually REALLY helpfull!
thank you for the time you took to write this.

It'll be great IF they accept me.
Right now I need ideas of something to pitch in the form of teaching, like, how am I going to teach different things.

Then sell yourself man...!

You seem mega enthusiastic.

Maybe get a 'medium term plan' together... literally a piece of paper with the learning objectives and success criteria for 6 or 7 lessons to show what you'd teach them over the first few weeks. Remember to set realistic objectives and explain how you intend to show progression from one week to the next.

Then show them the lesson plan for the first session, go through that and then explain how you'd progress on from that in the following sessions.
Quote by webbtje
It's seriously the most useless thing ever when most people use it, as they just read off what's written on it, using it as an excuse to frame a photo or a block of text with pretty little colours.

Would you have thrown up such a fuss if i had said ''Visual Displays''?

I'm not talking about the slide show that jimmy made in 8th grade.
Quote by geetar_man0
Would you have thrown up such a fuss if i had said ''Visual Displays''?

I'm not talking about the slide show that jimmy made in 8th grade.

I'm at university, darling. I have yet to attend a lecture that is powerpoint-based that was not completely fucking pointless. Powerpointless! Lolpun!

So, yeah, I would, because most 'visual displays' are just for show, and aren't useful at all.
Last edited by webbtje at Nov 15, 2009,
Ok, so I just talked to them, and I figured out exactly what they want me to do.

They want a presentation regarding a subject I'm going to teach, what my plans are, how will I approach it, goals, all of it should be in about 10 to 15 minutes.

So Shyne, all you wrote now is EXTREMLY useful!!! I can't thank you enough.

Now I need to find a subject, something to teach, and I'll get to work.
Any ideas?

UG Profile
Find something you're particularly good at, and outline (not in these words) how/why you got good at them, or a 'how to' guide if that makes sense. I'd suggest rehearsing it to someone you know beforehand too, just to confirm you're imparting the info well enough, being engaging and so on.
Quote by nightraven
bump <333

i'd let you teach me any day ;] ;]

Zomg!

I Missed you guys!!

UG Profile
Quote by webbtje
I'm at university, darling. I have yet to attend a lecture that is powerpoint-based that was not completely fucking pointless. Powerpointless! Lolpun!

So, yeah, I would, because most 'visual displays' are just for show, and aren't useful at all.

We'll, last week my math teacher used a powerpoint to help me when I didn't understand geometry, and it worked for me.
Quote by geetar_man0
We'll, last week my math teacher used a powerpoint to help me when I didn't understand geometry, and it worked for me.

Last week, I was lectured for 2 hours with a powerpoint presentation which consisted of five slides, each consisting of a massive block of text extracted from cases, with a pretty border and a funny font. This happens frequently.
Quote by webbtje
Last week, I was lectured for 2 hours with a powerpoint presentation which consisted of five slides, each consisting of a massive block of text extracted from cases, with a pretty border and a funny font. This happens frequently.

Damn, you didnt take the bait.

I was expecting a ''lol cool kid'' reply.

Anyways, on a serious note I had a lecture the other day in my commerce class before the final exam. No fancy borders, no bright colours. Just summarising points, that are short enough to stick in your mind after a quick glance.

The person taking the lecture was refering to the projection the whole time, so it wasnt just writing in the background.

Needless to say it worked...
Quote by webbtje
Find something you're particularly good at, and outline (not in these words) how/why you got good at them, or a 'how to' guide if that makes sense. I'd suggest rehearsing it to someone you know beforehand too, just to confirm you're imparting the info well enough, being engaging and so on.

Well that's the thing that's bothering me.
I know I can nail that job, and amaze them in the interview, I just need a good subject to base my presentation on. and I can't think of anything. I'd hate it if that's the thing that'll set me back.

I seriously have no idea what to do.
I was thinking about guitar playing.

UG Profile