The middle pickup on a strat is giving me problems, i keep hitting it with the pick The space between the pickup and the string is just too small, i dono what to do but its very annoying.

Anyone else with the same problem ?
You could always remove the middle pickup. You could even get a pickguard made that covers the space for the middle pickup.
Lower the pickup?
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
Get it set up... a £750 guitar isn't worth a shit unless its set up properly. It'll only set you back £45 tops.

Your action is either too low or the pup is too high... Or you're strumming too hard?
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
Did you set up the pickup heights or a professional luthier? The reason I asked is if the heights are not within "range" of where they should be then this will happen and also you tone will not sound right The following is the "norm" setup for pickups but there are some musicians that change this ONLY SLIGHTLY. Stevie Ray Vaughan had his high but not as much as you would think.
Pickup type:
Texas Specials - Bass Side - 8/64" (3.6mm) Treble Side - 6/64" (2.4mm)
Vintage Style - Bass Side - 6/64 (2.4mm) Treble Side - 5/64" (2mm)
Humbuckers - Bass Side - 4/64" (1.6mm) Treble Side - 4/64" (1.6mm)
Don't guess with these heights. Get a gauge from Auto parts place, WalMart etc. They are very cheap and good to have for guitar setups. Get one with Inches and Metric if possible.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
If the pickup height is correct then it is like Hammett said, your action is too low. If you need the setting for the action send me a message and I can send you the settings for the type guitar you have.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Lower the pickup OR vary your picking location [ever heard of "Dynamics"?]
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I lowered the middle pickup on my strat. Even still, i'm used to playing my LP and Explorer, so i still hit the screws for it. I think you'll just get used to it man.
My middle pickup is very low, almost flush with the pickguard. This stops my pick from hitting it, and also provides a very different sound when I use the middle pickup, or neck and middle, which I don't really use all too much unless I'm playing something clean, and want a less over powering sound.
Yea i can relate to your prob. i got rid of my prob. the day i SOLD the THING , you,ve got some good advise, so hopfully you will solve your prob. ROCK ON ROCK HARD!!!!
A pickup with a stronger magnet would give you the freedom to lower it a bit more - you could lower the stock pickup but you'd lose a lot of volume and clarity.
Only way to to it is to change your picking technique. Try to pick in between the pickups instead of over them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Only way to to it is to change your picking technique. Try to pick in between the pickups instead of over them.

This, if you want to keep the strat you'll just have to change and get used to it. Though if you never use the middle pickup you could lower it til it's out of the way.
dont change your picking style over one guitar. unless you really think thats worth it. i had the same issue on my mexi strat but there were other things quite annoying about that guitar, so it was a better decision to get rid of it.

id recommend lowering the mid pup like a few people said. just for tonal purposes you're better off leaving it in there. i like what necromaster said

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

yeah, i went from a les paul to a strat and whenever i would palm mute anything my pick would hit the middle pickup... its all a matter of getting used to, its not a serious problem just change your picking technique to accommodate the middle pickup
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Nov 15, 2009,
I typically strum between the neck and middle pickup, so I've never had to deal with the issue (also, I learned how to play on a Strat-copy).
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Just changing your picking location a cm or two does the trick. I had this problem, but within a day of realising it, I wasn't doing it anymore. Or you can just sort out your strumming/picking tech, as you probably shouldn't be digging that much behind the strings. Not efficient (which isn't a problem for blues, but would be for precision metal etc).
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Simsimius
Lower the pickup OR vary your picking location [ever heard of "Dynamics"?]

best route to take. lowering the pick up is a poor way to fix the problem. pick closer to the bridge or above the pick up. closer to the bridge where the strings are tighter will give you a bit more bite in your playing also. plus struming in the same spot is limiting in the different things you can do with your guitar. specially if you play a strat that has all single coils.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
1. Lower pickup.
2. Move closer to the neck or bridge. As Les Paul put it, don't go in-between if you want mellow do mellow, if you want twangy do twangy. But don't mix them, then you get neither.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Thx for alll the replys, i tried to lower the pickup but it didnt sound good at all, might have to get a stronger pickup like someone said.

Palm muting is the main problem, i don't know how i can do anything about that because if i move my wrist a little bit more forward i mute too much and if i move it back i dont mute enough.
Quote by Kurapica
Just changing your picking location a cm or two does the trick. I had this problem, but within a day of realising it, I wasn't doing it anymore. Or you can just sort out your strumming/picking tech, as you probably shouldn't be digging that much behind the strings. Not efficient (which isn't a problem for blues, but would be for precision metal etc).

glad i looked beofre i posted. how much are you digging the pick into the strings? there should still be more than enough room to strum freely. you need to hit the strings with the edge of the pick. your pick really shouldnt be going blow the strings. your hand placement might be fine it's just you're using too much of the pick to strum with.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Move your right hand a centimeter to the left. Woot! Problem solved!

Or just go take a scredriver and make the pup lower man, this is an easy problem to get rid of :x
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P