I just bought a Randall RM100 combo, and as its a really high quality amp, i want a high quality cable, the cable i have now sucks....http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-Elite-EIC25-25FT-INST-CABLE-104612460-i1382183.gc would this be a good choice here?? or is it a ripoff, thx
Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Mike Mushok Baritone w/BKP Juggernaut's
Ibanez: RG321MH

Alvarez: MD-60C
Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Modded 2004 XTC 101B Module
Stock Treadplate Module
what about the live wire?
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Well i obviously cant do that lol, im not that much of an expert in electronics so.. but death valley eh?? whats so special about them compared to the monster or live wire.. i never heard of them..
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
ah alright, i see now... eh id rather just buy one them make one, modding modules in the randall preamps are gona be a ride for me soon so lol
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
ah yea i know what u mean, cause ur so familiar with it, yea
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Monster cables. The sound quality is more than enough for any person with even a good ear and you get a lifetime warranty with basically no questions asked, not to mention you can find them at just about any music store when you do break them.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Sound quality is not that great. And they have a warrranty like that because they're known to break because they're so crappy.

I didn't say the sound quality was great, but it is more than good enough for anyone with a normal ear. You need a pretty strong ear to tell the difference between a Monster cable and some of the other more expensive cables out there.

And yes, that's a great business strategy: we'll take a product that is known to break on a regular basis and give it a lifetime warranty so that we'll just replace them all and be out millions and millions of dollars. I'm sure that's exactly why they've become one of the biggest cable manufacturers in the world.

I've had dozens of Monster cables and only a handful have ever broken, and it's not because of the build quality, it's because they get stepped on on stage, tangled up, run over, not wrapped properly by people loading out, etc. And being able to walk into any music store out there and swap it for a new one is about the best deal in the world.

I love how anytime a company gets a big name by building a quality product and backing it with full support, there are people that have to tell you why it's a piece of shit and overpriced.
Last edited by PSM at Nov 15, 2009,
ok, psm comparing the monster vs the live wire, which is the better buy in terms of sound quality, build quality and overall, the live wire elite series seems to be very promising
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Honestly, any cable that comes with a lifetime warranty, is available where you normally shop or will need to find it if it breaks, and has good enough sound quality so that you can't tell the difference between it and a more expensive cable, is a good buy. I highly doubt that you (or most musicians out there) will be able to tell the difference in sound quality from a $20 cable to a $50 Monster or Live Wire cable to a high quality home-built cable. There are some people out there that can, and there are also a lot more people out there that claim they can. I would say if you can find a regularly stocked cable that has a lifetime warranty and is cheaper than the Monster or Live Wire, then go for it. If not, don't feel bad about spending double or even triple the price on one that does have the warranty, because chances are in your life you'll go through at least 2-3 of the cheapo cables and once you've purchased 2-3 of them, you might as well have just bought the Monster or Live Wire and still had a cable with a full life-time warranty for the next 20 or 30 years.

That's just my take on it, though. If you can build your own cables and like the sound quality and reliability, like the other poster in this thread, then that's awesome and I'd say go for it. There's really no "right" answer to this question.
Last edited by PSM at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by PSM
Honestly, any cable that comes with a lifetime warranty, is available where you normally shop or will need to find it if it breaks, and has good enough sound quality so that you can't tell the difference between it and a more expensive cable, is a good buy. I highly doubt that you (or most musicians out there) will be able to tell the difference in sound quality from a $20 cable to a $50 Monster or Live Wire cable to a high quality home-built cable. There are some people out there that can, and there are also a lot more people out there that claim they can. I would say if you can find a regularly stocked cable that has a lifetime warranty and is cheaper than the Monster or Live Wire, then go for it. If not, don't feel bad about spending double or even triple the price on one that does have the warranty, because chances are in your life you'll go through at least 2-3 of the cheapo cables and once you've purchased 2-3 of them, you might as well have just bought the Monster or Live Wire and still had a cable with a full life-time warranty for the next 20 or 30 years.

That's just my take on it, though. If you can build your own cables and like the sound quality and reliability, like the other poster in this thread, then that's awesome and I'd say go for it. There's really no "right" answer to this question.

Alright thanks psm for your help, u too forsaknazrael
Guitars

Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Quote by PSM
I didn't say the sound quality was great, but it is more than good enough for anyone with a normal ear. You need a pretty strong ear to tell the difference between a Monster cable and some of the other more expensive cables out there.

You get a long cable run, with several patch cables between Monster and and a quality built cable, you'll hear a difference. The average person will. The capacitance will add up. It's not an opinion, it's science.
Quote by PSM
And yes, that's a great business strategy: we'll take a product that is known to break on a regular basis and give it a lifetime warranty so that we'll just replace them all and be out millions and millions of dollars. I'm sure that's exactly why they've become one of the biggest cable manufacturers in the world.

I've had dozens of Monster cables and only a handful have ever broken, and it's not because of the build quality, it's because they get stepped on on stage, tangled up, run over, not wrapped properly by people loading out, etc. And being able to walk into any music store out there and swap it for a new one is about the best deal in the world.

I love how anytime a company gets a big name by building a quality product and backing it with full support, there are people that have to tell you why it's a piece of shit and overpriced.

Actually, that is a business strategy. A lot of companies don't build stuff to last. They don't always build quality lower end products because they want them to be inferior to their higher tier products. They build them cheap overseas, and then they sell them hear for a significant mark up. That's exactly how the business world works.

And a quality cable with metal plugs will be able to withstand that kind of abuse, btw. And if it does break, it's easy to fix. Snip off the cable, and solder two connections. Ask anyone who has played with me, or been to one of my band's shows. I do not baby my equipment, and expect it all to be road worthy, and handle all kinds of abuse.

It is overpriced because you can get better plugs and better cable for cheaper. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

By the way, Death Valley Cable also has a great warranty. Just saying.
http://www.deathvalleycablecompany.com/warranty.html
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Nov 15, 2009,
I have the Live Wire cable, and I love it, its still my best cable, and its pertty tough, its been roughed up for the past few years and its still strong. Its very worth the price.

But I would also look at the Ibanez Series 96 cables. I have a 15ft that I bought for $15 and its pertty good also. Had it for about 3 months, and havent had a single problem yet.
me and the other guitarist in the band have been using livewire for as long as we can remember, and even if they're not super sound quality, we haven't found any major tonal issues in them and they haven't broken on us
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
My Monster cable died on me within two weeks of purchase.

Never again.

I only buy Mogami cables now, or at least Planet Waves. Death Valley, Van Damme, Cleartone (in the UK) Klotz and Lava are all great cables as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by forsaknazrael
You get a long cable run, with several patch cables between Monster and and a quality built cable, you'll hear a difference. The average person will. The capacitance will add up. It's not an opinion, it's science.

Actually, that is a business strategy. A lot of companies don't build stuff to last. They don't always build quality lower end products because they want them to be inferior to their higher tier products. They build them cheap overseas, and then they sell them hear for a significant mark up. That's exactly how the business world works.

And a quality cable with metal plugs will be able to withstand that kind of abuse, btw. And if it does break, it's easy to fix. Snip off the cable, and solder two connections. Ask anyone who has played with me, or been to one of my band's shows. I do not baby my equipment, and expect it all to be road worthy, and handle all kinds of abuse.

It is overpriced because you can get better plugs and better cable for cheaper. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

By the way, Death Valley Cable also has a great warranty. Just saying.
http://www.deathvalleycablecompany.com/warranty.html

You're missing the whole point of the lifetime warranty. No lasting, successful company out there purposefully builds cheap parts that aren't made to last and then sticks a lifetime, full replacement warranty on it. That's not a business plan, it's just plain stupid, and any company that tried to implement that plan would go out of business unless they have other areas of the business that can make up for that loss. Think about that for two seconds. How many auto manufacturers out there are building cars that last 100,000 miles or less and then sticking even a 500,000 mile warranty on it, nevermind a full lifetime warranty? Apply it to any industry, it simply doesn't work.

And once again, I'm not saying they are the best cables out there sound-wise or quality-wise, I'm simply saying that for a readily available cable with a lifetime warranty, a higher price is justified so that you never have to worry about it ever again, especially if you either don't know how to build your own cables or just don't want to.

If you read my other posts, you'll see that I specifically say if you can find a cheaper, readily available cable with the same lifetime warranty, or you can build your own higher quality cables, then go for it. It would make no sense not to. But that fact is that there aren't a lot of cable manufacturers out there that are as readily available at any music store as Monsters AND offer the lifetime warranty. Again, if you find one, go for it. If you can build one, go for it. If not, don't feel bad about spending a little extra money on a cable that means you never have to buy another one for the rest of your life, especially if you can't hear the quality difference. And no, most people can't, especially when just stikcing a single cable between their instrument and their amplifier, which is the situation that seems to apply to the TS.
Last edited by PSM at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by PSM
You're missing the whole point of the lifetime warranty. No lasting, successful company out there purposefully builds cheap parts that aren't made to last and then sticks a lifetime, full replacement warranty on it. That's not a business plan, it's just plain stupid, and any company that tried to implement that plan would go out of business unless they have other areas of the business that can make up for that loss. Think about that for two seconds. How many auto manufacturers out there are building cars that last 100,000 miles or less and then sticking even a 500,000 mile warranty on it, nevermind a full lifetime warranty? Apply it to any industry, it simply doesn't work.

Actually plenty of businesses do this. See the difference is with cars, people hold onto proof of purchase and warranty information, and pay attention to warranty stuff. With stuff that is relatively cheap, like guitar cables, people are generally too lazy to save that stuff. That in conjunction with the fact that some people are just lazy/rich enough to throw away a broken cable and buy a new one, despite their warranty, makes up for the people that do use the warranty. This is how all these things work, like the Best Buy service plans; people everywhere buy from them because of the warranty, but few actually use it. So the small mark-up put on the product covers the percentage that actually use the warranty, while the warranty itself becomes a selling point. This allows them to market an inferior product as superior.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'm not going to address the business situation. tubetime has, and I agree with him. If you don't believe that it happens, then that's just dandy. But it does.

Quote by PSM
And once again, I'm not saying they are the best cables out there sound-wise or quality-wise, I'm simply saying that for a readily available cable with a lifetime warranty, a higher price is justified so that you never have to worry about it ever again, especially if you either don't know how to build your own cables or just don't want to.

If you read my other posts, you'll see that I specifically say if you can find a cheaper, readily available cable with the same lifetime warranty, or you can build your own higher quality cables, then go for it. It would make no sense not to. But that fact is that there aren't a lot of cable manufacturers out there that are as readily available at any music store as Monsters AND offer the lifetime warranty. Again, if you find one, go for it. If you can build one, go for it. If not, don't feel bad about spending a little extra money on a cable that means you never have to buy another one for the rest of your life, especially if you can't hear the quality difference. And no, most people can't, especially when just stikcing a single cable between their instrument and their amplifier, which is the situation that seems to apply to the TS.

You didn't say that stuff, but I'm recommending something cheaper, sounds better, and is built better.

And people can hear the difference. You just need to setup a proper situation where there would be long lengths of cable, where capacitance will add up.

I'm recommending Death Valley, again, because it's built better, sounds better, and is cheaper. There's a lot of better stuff than Monster out there at a better pricepoint, and I don't like the lazy viewpoint of "well, you can't tell. and it's regularly stocked!!". One should always be looking for quality component in one's gear.
The obvious choice is planet waves cables
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I just bought some of these and I recommend them:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/belowimoxfrs.html
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by tubetime86
Actually plenty of businesses do this. See the difference is with cars, people hold onto proof of purchase and warranty information, and pay attention to warranty stuff. With stuff that is relatively cheap, like guitar cables, people are generally too lazy to save that stuff. That in conjunction with the fact that some people are just lazy/rich enough to throw away a broken cable and buy a new one, despite their warranty, makes up for the people that do use the warranty. This is how all these things work, like the Best Buy service plans; people everywhere buy from them because of the warranty, but few actually use it. So the small mark-up put on the product covers the percentage that actually use the warranty, while the warranty itself becomes a selling point. This allows them to market an inferior product as superior.

There is a major hole in your argument: none of those business like Best Buy offers a LIFETIME extended warranty on these products, so while they may be cheap and die at some point down the road, it's not usually within the time frame of the warranty (once again, you're missing the "lifetime" part like I pointed out in my last post).

And the argument you guys are using that "if you run enough cable, even your average user will eventually be able to hear the difference" is a TERRIBLE argument considering most members on this site, like the TS, are not running a ton of cable, and certainly not enough to be able to tell the difference. They are running a cable from an instrument to an amp, or maybe through a few pedals in between. Or through an FX loop through the back of the amp with the guitar still running directly into the amp. Obviously there's no way for me to prove it over the internet, but I'd be willing to bet that if I took half of the members on this website that love to bash Monster cables and played a guitar for them through a fairly complex guitar rig setup with Monster cables, and then did the same thing with one of their favorite brands, all while they were blindfolded, the best they'd be able to do was guess at which was which.

And just to show that I don't disagree with your statement that we should continue our quest for great equipment, and to show that I'm not as stubborn as I might be coming off, I do plan on testing out your theory with myself and my singer to see if I can tell the difference on various setups. I have a decent ear and he has an amazing ear for production and sound quality, so if any typical user/listener can tell the difference, he can. And if I find it to be true, I will come in here and delete my posts so as not to be posting false information.
Last edited by PSM at Nov 16, 2009,