I've been playing for close to a year and am still on my old first amp. Its not bad, but there's a chance that some uni friends and myself will form a "band" (mostly another excuse to drink whilst throwing around some music).

I mostly play metal - Metallica, A7X and suchlike - and have a budget of max £400 (perhaps £20/30 over, but not much). What would you suggest for a decent amp for that price? I was thinking perhaps a Bugera 6260 or, if I could stretch to it, a 6505+ combo?

Thanks in advance.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
+1 on 6505
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Is it really the best bang for buck? If so, it seems like a good choice unless there's something comparable in that range.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
The 6505 will definitely give you the gain and crunch you need. And if you don't need an excellent clean tone, it's probably your best bet.
The cleanest my playing gets is the Master of Puppets style clean as opposed to a nice shimmering blues clean so that's not a major concern. The gain is definitely what I want to be getting right.

Do Bugeras still have the apparently cleaner channel than the Peavy amps they're based on? I'm sure I read that on here a while back but can't remember properly.

Thanks.

Edit: Is the 6505+ 112 combo actually out yet as thats the one I was looking at?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by Hidden Hippo at Nov 15, 2009,
I've been wondering about the 6505+ - I'd also be using it for practicing and playing in general in my room, and I'm slightly concerned that a 60 watt tube would sound a bit rubbish at very low volumes.

Is the Laney VC15 any good? I'm sure I've read on here that for small band practice etc a 15 watt tube is more than enough to be heard and it could be quiet enough for home practice.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Hidden Hippo
I've been wondering about the 6505+ - I'd also be using it for practicing and playing in general in my room, and I'm slightly concerned that a 60 watt tube would sound a bit rubbish at very low volumes.

Is the Laney VC15 any good? I'm sure I've read on here that for small band practice etc a 15 watt tube is more than enough to be heard and it could be quiet enough for home practice.

It wont sound AS good turned down, but it wont sound bad at all. Indeed 6505's are all preamp gain anyway so it really wont need to be loud at all. The VC15 is nice but it's a blues/classic rock voiced, not your thing. (15 watts is usually fine for most stuff, but you'll want headroom anyway, so might as well have more watts) Maybe an LC15/LC30 would suit you more, but I think you'd be fine with the 6505.
Ah, cheers. There's also a JCM900 head nearby for sale for around £400. I'd need a cab as well so it would be more expensive and much harder to transport (even with a 1x12/2x12), but would this be significantly better than the 6505?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Hidden Hippo
The cleanest my playing gets is the Master of Puppets style clean as opposed to a nice shimmering blues clean so that's not a major concern. The gain is definitely what I want to be getting right.

Do Bugeras still have the apparently cleaner channel than the Peavy amps they're based on? I'm sure I read that on here a while back but can't remember properly.

Thanks.

Edit: Is the 6505+ 112 combo actually out yet as thats the one I was looking at?

bug6260's have a freq spike in the lower highs that's annoying as fvck. no offense, but i'm guessing you have neither the gear nor the experience to correct it. if you can live with it, it's a better deal, but you'd also need to factor in a cab.

+1 6505 combo.
Quote by GrisKy
bug6260's have a freq spike in the lower highs that's annoying as fvck. no offense, but i'm guessing you have neither the gear nor the experience to correct it. if you can live with it, it's a better deal, but you'd also need to factor in a cab.

+1 6505 combo.

You're right there. I could probably fix it assuming its a solder/capacitor replacement job, but obviously I'd rather not.

The combo sounds like the best deal at the moment, but I can't find anywhere that has them - are they even released yet?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai