Hey so i'm in the market to repace my current 10W Cruiser SS pile of junk, and stumbled across these http://www.bigwhitemonkeyamps.com/iwantone.html

For under £180 it looks quite impressive, but there's very little to go by on the web in terms of reviews. I did look at the Youtube clips, and it sounds good. Just wondered if anyone else has any experience/opinions?

Also wondering whether to get the head, which would necessitate me buying a cab to match, or the combo, with the attenuator, which would be handy for me as I'm a student living with 4 others...

Oh, and I play pretty much anything from clean Dire Straits style stuff up to Foo Fighters, Clyro, GnR levels of drive, mostly using my Jekyll and Hyde for the noise.

Cheers,

Nat

PS just seen the Matamp Minimat... tasty but a big price hike
Never judge an amp by Youtube clips.

I can't find much info on this amp on their own website. That's kind of shady tbh
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ +1
The website is suspiciously lacking in detail...
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Too be honest I was strangely attracted to the idea of an amp with a gain knob labeled with a poo symbol... one wonders why.

Actually, I found the ebay link (wierdly hard to find for some reason) and they do actually have all the normal information, and I imagine they're legit. It's just that you can't actually try them out, so..
Quote by XxLloydxX
Yeah you can't find it very easily, dunno why. Christmas is coming so I could save for a second hand minimat I 'spose, but they're bloody hard to find at the moment. A plague on student budgets!
With these being so cheap, you could always just buy it and return it if you don't like it. As I said, it looks like they're a legit company, so if you email them about their returns policy (or somehow find the info on their awful site! ) I'm sure they'll tell you, and it'd probably be ok to buy it and maybe return it later.
Quote by XxLloydxX
It dosent sound all that great. Its a odd type of hybrid SS. Its got one JJ 6l6 and one 12AX7 JJ, and they call it the highest quality tubes you can buy. I've never liked hybrid guitar amps, sound too fake. Like an SS trying to get tube crunch but failing.
I could be wrong, but idk.
But you can try it out and do a review on it for UG so other people know.

I think you would be better off with a used Blackstar H-5.
Where are you getting that it's a hybrid?
Quote by XxLloydxX
^^ Yeah, what they're saying is that it's better than SS because it's a valve amp. Saying 'valve amps are always better' is a bit silly, but that doesn't change the meaning of the sentence. They phrased it badly, but it is all valve.
Quote by XxLloydxX
They look allright to me, for the price even if it's only decent it's pretty good deal. If you get one make sure to report back to us! I'd be interested in it.

On second thought though, for about £125 more you can get a Valve power..
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen

On second thought though, for about £125 more you can get a Valve power..

that'd be my concern. Though if you have to buy a cab too it's going to be quite a bit more than £125 (if you go for the combo version of the big white monkey).

Angry goldfish (a regular) brought them up in the who to listen to list, but i think his post was similar to yours- he hadn't tried them and wanted to know if they were legit. Up to you, really. I assume they're legit (though I'm not a fan of their jokey style of website, i prefer actual information ), though I've never bought from them and really don't know either way, so make sure you pay by credit card so you're covered in the event that they're not legit.

Up to you, really, either take a chance, or don't. your call.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think they're legit but a very small company so the bad site generally accompanies small companies. Although, whoever decided comic sans should be used should be stabbed in the eyes with spoons

TS, I reckon if you e-mail them you'd get a bit more info out of them. Then make your decision.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

but aye. if in doubt, ask for more info.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?