Is there any way you can have your guitar setup so that you can tune it from standard - drop B, without having the neck warp, get fret buzz, etc.?

Thanks.
You can set the action outrageously high for standard, so that when you tune down it won't be too buzzy, but whatever you're thinking of doing, it won't work. There's absolutely no way to be able to just drop it from standard to Drop B without negative effects unles you set it up.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
heavy strings?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Basicaly, no.

You could get a midi guitar, so you change the tuning on the pc not by altering string tension. But you'll never get a viable way of going from drop B to E standard without *some* negatives/damage
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I think the Vigier 10/90 necks might be able to withstand the variations in tension you'd get, but don't quote me on that.

An extended range guitar would be far more practical, be that an 8 string or a 36 fret or anywhere between.
I just saw this pedal on MF, let me bring it up for you...

EDIT:http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morpheus-DropTune-Octave-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=583554

E Standard to A Standard and every half step in between.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by TheBigProjekt
I just saw this pedal on MF, let me bring it up for you...

EDIT:http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morpheus-DropTune-Octave-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=583554

E Standard to A Standard and every half step in between.

That's amazing.

How does it work, exactly?
Do you just hook it up to your guitar and amp like a stomp box, and the tuning sound comes out of the amp?
It would be impossible to fully set up a guitar for multiple tunings as the intonation would be off in all but one of the tunings. Probably wouldn't bother to many people but to set it up would include intonation so I thought I would throw that in the mix.
Quote by Guitar2theface
You can set the action outrageously high for standard, so that when you tune down it won't be too buzzy, but whatever you're thinking of doing, it won't work. There's absolutely no way to be able to just drop it from standard to Drop B without negative effects unles you set it up.

I must be missing something with my guitars. Either their crap or I'm just lucky as hell. (most likely crap)

But I have my Squier set up for standard, and I usually keep it in Drop B to A# all the time, and dont have any neck warpage or any kind of neck problem. Same thing with my Takamine acoustic, I've left it in C standard for a month without any problems.

I see no problem droping a professional guitar to a lower tuning without set up as long as your not in that tuning for too long.

The only thing that would be a bitch to set up for lower tunings would be a Flyod Rose.
Quote by Mathcorey
That's amazing.

How does it work, exactly?
Do you just hook it up to your guitar and amp like a stomp box, and the tuning sound comes out of the amp?

That's what I'm guessing, it probably finds the note your playing, then just lowers it down. I'm looking to try one of them out, it's really good because my band plays in everything from E to Drop A.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by TheBigProjekt
That's what I'm guessing, it probably finds the note your playing, then just lowers it down. I'm looking to try one of them out, it's really good because my band plays in everything from E to Drop A.

Yeah. I change tunings a LOT.
You'll have to let me know how it is when you try it .
I'm worried about it messing up my tone or sounding too fake or something.
Quote by Mathcorey
Is there any way you can have your guitar setup so that you can tune it from standard - drop B, without having the neck warp, get fret buzz, etc.?

Thanks.

Leave it in standard e and use this pedal:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Morpheus-DropTune-Octave-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-896716-i1475412.gc

edit: I saw that someone already posted this

This pedal has drop tune capabilities as well:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-Whammy-Pedal-with-MIDI-Control-100883446-i1124231.gc
Guitars:
DBZ Bird of Prey Blood Red
Jose Feliciano Acoustic Guitar Debut Series Natural
Amp:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 60W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp
Pedal:
Peavey Sanpera I
Tuner:
intellitouch PT10 Tuner (Chromatic)
Last edited by Biblico at Nov 15, 2009,
I was looking into this last week and it seems that using a baritone with a capo is a good way to go. No floppy strings, no screwing with the truss rod, no jacked-up action, and you get killer tone and sustain. So I have a Schecter Blackjack C1-EX on order!
No because the intonation will be off in every tuning, even if just by a little
and the neck could be a problem
i can usually go from a pretty tight standard to drop c without any buzzing or effects on the neck. so either get 2 guitars, one for heavy strings/low tunings, and one for standard, or get a 7 string. i dont have any experience, but i hear those drop tuning pedals are crap.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC