Folk
3 1%
Orchestral
18 8%
Other
32 14%
Voters: 222.
Page 1 of 2
So pit, you know the question asked now answer away!

Edit100: I can't believe I forgot the joke answer
hello
Last edited by opc100 at Nov 15, 2009,
Religious.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by archangels666
No option for classic rock?

Those are usually the fans that I hear complaining the most. "This new music sucks! Play some Zeppelin!"

That's dickish, not pretentious.
Quote by archangels666
No option for classic rock?

Those are usually the fans that I hear complaining the most. "This new music sucks! Play some Zeppelin!"

That'd come under Rock.
I couldn't have every sub-genre of every genre in a poll, so I did general ones.
hello
metal, jazz and classical.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
prog. definitely
Wanted to play Bass, but then developed conscious thought...
Has anyone here ever met a jazz snob?

They make me want to rip out my eyes.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by archangels666
Aren't they kind of the same thing?

Pretentious would be more along the lines of "This music sucks, it can't be good unless it has <insert musical terminology here>".
Quote by MightyAl
Any genre with the word 'prog' in it.

not really, I have plenty of friends who listen to prog and fully respect other genres and the such. Its just that stereotype placed on prog heads saying we're elitist assholes.
Indie kids.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Indie.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Myfirstpubes
not really, I have plenty of friends who listen to prog and fully respect other genres and the such. Its just that stereotype placed on prog heads saying we're elitist assholes.

That's because prog heads ARE elitist. Asshole-ishness is optional, but it usually does come as a package.
Close choice between pop, emo/scene kids and metal. I'd go with the 'scene' kids because they're most annoying, but I voted metal.
JAZZ.

I love it, but DAMN, it's pretentious within itself!
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

A clapstack? My life is complete.
All of the above.
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
I'm going to go with Deathcore. Anything that doesn't have a breakdown is automatically crap.

I like deathcore, but I don't really care about how many breakdowns you have.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by MightyAl
That's because prog heads ARE elitist. Asshole-ishness is optional, but it usually does come as a package.

I just think its the fans that make something pretentious. You know who else are elitist? Hip hop fans, metalheads, indie fans, jazz fans, electro fans, etc, you can list every genre. Do you see the flaw in your logic?
I love the idea that metal fans are more pretentious than classical or jazz fans. Do you people actually speak to people who aren't on UG? I do wonder sometimes.
Quote by webbtje
I love the idea that metal fans are more pretentious than classical or jazz fans. Do you people actually speak to people who aren't on UG? I do wonder sometimes.

Nearly 70% of the people I meet/know who listen to metal are, in fact, elitists. If you mention any other genre they automatically shoot it down or call it crap.

Besides, I don't know anyone who listens to either jazz or classical.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Nearly 70% of the people I meet/know who listen to metal are, in fact, elitists. If you mention any other genre they automatically shoot it down or call it crap.

ROFL. Go and speak to a classical fan and tell me, with a straight face, that metal fans in general are elitist/closeminded.

Or for that matter, go and speak to a noise music fan and tell me we're elitist.
Quote by webbtje
ROFL. Go and speak to a classical fan and tell me, with a straight face, that metal fans in general are elitist/closeminded.

Or for that matter, go and speak to a noise music fan and tell me we're elitist.

There are a shitton of hyper elitist metal fans that could go toe to toe with jazz or classical fans in terms of pretentiousness, I would have to lean more towards metal though since it's more popular and thus has more people like that. I would put it as a tie between metal and indie rock.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by webbtje

oh my god, yes, my friend is a classical fan and is just insanely prejudice against any guitarist that doesnt have formal training.
I'm pretty surprised to the poll results. I've been picked on by hip-hop and pop fans from day at my highschool becaus of having different musical tastes. I guess it really isn't the same elsewhere in the world?
Quote by Totalradical
I'm pretty surprised to the poll results. I've been picked on by hip-hop and pop fans from day at my highschool becaus of having different musical tastes. I guess it really isn't the same elsewhere in the world?

Your average pop or hip-hop fan usually doesn't care enough about music to be overly pretentious about it, they're picking on you because you are seen as weird, not because they think their music is artistically superior.

Last.fm
I don't care what genre, but the one thing I hate hate HATE the most is anybody that calls another genre out as not being "real" music. If I ever get charged with murder, that will be the motive.
Crappy poll is crappy.

You are missing a lot of essential genres.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Crappy poll is crappy.

You are missing a lot of essential genres.

Like what?
I know I forgot jazz. Huge oversight on my part.
hello
Quote by opc100
Like what?

I wouldd've also included hardcore and indie rock, probably post-rock as well.

Last.fm
Quote by opc100
Like what?

Electronic is another broad one, although most fans of it are just as partial to instrumental/vocal music as well. It doesn't get too many pretentious fans, just reaaally defensive ones.
Page 1 of 2