My question isn't about how to get faster, etc.
I started my practicing at about 60bmp, which I think is slow enough.
I've been focusing on keeping my fingers down and using small motions.
My main question is how would I go about practicing rhythm guitar work this slow, as in jazz comping, strumming, etc, and if I should just focus on picking for now (alt, econ) or If I should take longer and envelop sweeping, hybrid, and tapping into my routine and then stay on a specific bpm for a bout a week and master these techniques there?
Thanks
I'd say focus on the picking for now and when you feel ready try experimenting more. I did the same,I had played for 3-4 months and I wasn't that good,I spent a month without playing songs,just practising ,it was really boring but after a week I could alternate pick on a 200 bpm speed with chromatic scales etc. After this month playing and learning songs was A LOT easier. Don't stay on a specific bpm for A WEEK,stay on it for an hour or two and go faster,the next morning the same and you'll notice how the first day-60-140 next day 60-180 etc.
well one thing that made my playing more precise, also faster was when I started using dunlop jazz III picks. they are smaller than the average picks, and many artists say they help improve playing fast lines.

here's a little review from http://jazzguitar.yolasite.com/accessories.php:

Dunlop Jazz III picks are proven to add precision to playing fast lines. Many jazz guitarist and shredders use these picks because they are agile and glide across the strings. They are pretty thick and don't bend which is good because picks that bend slow down your playing. They take a few days to get used to because they are smaller than the average pick, but once you start using these picks, you will be hooked.
I use Jazz III. I think I'll take freepower's advice (as he is a technical god) and go at about 30, and really focus on picking, go up, then come back and add more embellishment. Thanks guys
So I guess if I want to just work on getting picking faster and cleaner, start at 30 and work up. If I did about half an hour to any hour a day, would I move up pretty quick?or rather, what should I practice aside scales slowly to improve my picking dexterity, for lack of a better word?
Last edited by hippieboy444 at Nov 16, 2009,
I recommend you to get these DVDs:

Paul Gilbert - Intense Rock I. This one to learn a lot of useful licks.

John Petrucci - Rock Discipline. This one to get a good habit of practice and how to apply the licks you learn from the Paul Gilbert's instructional and make actual music.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by hippieboy444
So I guess if I want to just work on getting picking faster and cleaner, start at 30 and work up. If I did about half an hour to any hour a day, would I move up pretty quick?or rather, what should I practice aside scales slowly to improve my picking dexterity, for lack of a better word?

"picking" is a huge set of skills altogether. To improve your picking dexterity you need to practice scales, sequences, string skips, arpeggios... all that stuff. Write yourself little etudes for each bit and see how it goes.