Ok, I have a band with 5 people in it. I am the singer (but I can also play guitar), and we also have 2 guitarists, a bassist, and a drummer. We are all 13 going to the same school. I thought that it would be cool to write our own songs, but we have hit a creative brick wall. We can't write anything. Should we just become a cover band but try to write songs in the meantime?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
My general advice is, no matter who you are or how old you are or whatever, is to decide if you're going to be a cover band or an original band. Venues hire one or the other. Venues don't want to hire someone who does both, unless they basically commit to doing one or the other. Audiences expect one or the other. You might as well choose from the beginning and go with it.

One band I know of did both and did them really well.... they gigged under two different names. If you wanted covers, you booked Freedom Train. If you wanted originals, you booked Speck Jennings. Same guys, but the different names made different impressions on different audiences because they were essentially two different bands.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Most bands started out doing covers, there's nothing wrong with that. If you're not at a stage where you're trying to be a serious, professional, playing for a living band, I don't think it really matters if you've chosen to be a cover band or originals band. A band played at a show at my school where they pretty much alternated between covers and originals, I don't think anyone thought less of them for that. If you have no originals anyways, you might as well do covers to get better at playing as a group.
Cover bands generally make more money too.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Cover bands generally make more money too.

CT

big +1 on that
You like it
if ur 13 play songs that all your peers like, you will be more popular in ur school if you play some rhcp, greenday, or blink than if you play a bunch of cover songs no one has ever heard of. . . ive been playing guitar since i was in 6th grade and when i was ur age we played originals and none of our friends really cared too much about them. . . . now i just turned 18 and my band has evolved into a cover band and quite frankly I have a lot more fun playing cover songs than my own.

Also once you get to be my age you will be able to play in local bars around town and yes they do pay us, and no i dont think they would even book us if we played originals, but thats a small town bar for ya. . .

Right now i doubt any bar owner would book you guys because you are so young so i would say do whatever you guys have more fun doing.

wait where do you guys play out??