Currently i'm playing with a Ltd kh-202
-Basswood Body
-Bolt-On Maple Neck
-Rosewood Fingerboard

and i'm looking for some new pick ups and I'm thinking of getting the seymour duncan invaders. Now my question is, are these any good for hardcore? or are there any pick ups that might be better for the same job and around the same price?
well the invaders sound REALLY bassy and do not have a usable clean tone. if you like that then go for it i guess, but personally i dont like them. I have an SD sh4 in my epi dot, and its easily the best humbucker i have ever used. sounds good clean and has awesome high-gain sounds. its pretty hot too.
I thought I'd never suggest actives, but honestly I think in this case they are your best option. Must hardcore bands use emgs so I would look at the type of emgs they use, or go for some blackouts.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
well, my amp is already pretty bassy =/ so with the invaders on top of it it might be too much..
but, to be honest i don't know to much about switching pick-ups.
do you need two sh-4's? or do you combine them with another pick-up?

and alternitivebass, i'll look at that, but the blackouts are pretty expensive =/
Any pickup can go with any other pickup. The only thing that you can't do without extreme difficulty is mix actives with passives, so as long as you aren't mixing emgs (regular or x series, not the hz) or seymour duncan blackouts with other pickups then you should be fine.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by simbazz
well, my amp is already pretty bassy =/ so with the invaders on top of it it might be too much..
but, to be honest i don't know to much about switching pick-ups.
do you need two sh-4's? or do you combine them with another pick-up?

and alternitivebass, i'll look at that, but the blackouts are pretty expensive =/

remember if you go with active pups you have to completely rewire your guitar and route it to hold a power supply (like batteries). that would be really expensive. also actives sound like crap clean.

and to answer your question yes you can mix-and-match pups, id suggest just replacing your bridge (cause the neck is rarely used in hardcore).
well, gonna try to find out what pick ups other hardcore guitarists are using.
thanks for the help guys ^^
one last question, i heared blackouts were cheaper then most emg's.But in my area the blackouts go for around 110euro and the emg's (most of them) for 80-90. Sow are emg's cheaper or is it just the local shop?
Quote by JayLacelle
remember if you go with active pups you have to completely rewire your guitar and route it to hold a power supply (like batteries). that would be really expensive. also actives sound like crap clean.

and to answer your question yes you can mix-and-match pups, id suggest just replacing your bridge (cause the neck is rarely used in hardcore).

Well,I'm not to handy sow i'd let the local shop rewire my guitar and such..
but what's the real difference bewteen active and passive? actives have more output? i'm kinda embarressed to ask that question..
Quote by simbazz
Well,I'm not to handy sow i'd let the local shop rewire my guitar and such..
but what's the real difference bewteen active and passive? actives have more output? i'm kinda embarressed to ask that question..

Actives have a built in preamp that boosts a very low output. This helps this push tube amps for a heavier distortion, but they actually are not higher output, I think. They were designed to finally have a pickup with no hum. Many say their cleans are bad, but really they are not bad cleans they are just very sterile. Supposedly blackouts and the emg x series have fixed this though. Also the 18volt mod makes the pickups less sterile.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
Actives have a built in preamp that boosts a very low output. This helps this push tube amps for a heavier distortion, but they actually are not higher output, I think. They were designed to finally have a pickup with no hum. Many say their cleans are bad, but really they are not bad cleans they are just very sterile. Supposedly blackouts and the emg x series have fixed this though. Also the 18volt mod makes the pickups less sterile.

well i've listened to blackouts and the emg81/85 on youtube and I must say that I liek the blackouts more. but the problem is that they cost around 110 euros, sow for two actives that is 220+ euro and then the cost for rewring it and such =/ might be too expensive..
i found out that the local shop sells the blackouts( I guess the older ones) for 155euros , but how much does it cost to get them placed in a shop?
You dont *need* actives for a hardcore tone.

Paul from Between The Buried & Me uses DiMarzio D-Activators, Wil Adler from Lamb Of God uses the Duncan Custom SH-5, and I believe The Black Dahlia Murder uses Duncan passives as well.

If you want a hot passive setup that works well with drop tunings, look at the D-Activator, and the D-Sonic from DiMarzio and the Duncan Distortion and the Duncan Custom from Seymour Duncan.

That being said, if you have a guitar with a wood type that doesnt resonate that well, or doesnt sound that good, EMGs will sound the same, which can be good and bad.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by Mitochondria9

Paul from Between The Buried & Me uses DiMarzio D-Activators, Wil Adler from Lamb Of God uses the Duncan Custom SH-5, and I believe The Black Dahlia Murder uses Duncan passives as well.

If you want a hot passive setup that works well with drop tunings, look at the D-Activator, and the D-Sonic from DiMarzio and the Duncan Distortion and the Duncan Custom from Seymour Duncan.

Maybe if those bands were hardcore it might be a better argument. Also none of us said he needed them, we said he was better off because 90% of hardcore bands use emgs.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
Maybe if those bands were hardcore it might be a better argument. Also none of us said he needed them, we said he was better off because 90% of hardcore bands use emgs.

Pardon me, all of those bands incorporate hardcore influences, which works fine for the argument.

I was simply giving him options.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
well, to be honest at the moment i'd go for the blackouts. the only problem is the price.. but i guess there is no way to know how a pick-up sounds in my guitar unless I put in it?
I guess Blackouts if you have enough money to go active, but if want to stay passive then go with something from the EMG HZ line.
Quote by Mitochondria9

Mall metal =/= hardcore.

Pickups aren't that important for hardcore tone, plenty of classic hardcore bands played stock SG and Les Pauls. Kurt Ballou from Converge uses an EMG81 in most of his guitars and his tone is amazing.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
BKP Warpigs will give you almost active output without the complications of changing pots, jack and placing a battery. They also have a good clean tone when rolled back a bit.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

now i'm totally confused about what pick-up to get..
The black-outs are amazing but they are quite expensive.
Sow i'd go for passives like the seymour sh-5,invaders or the dimarzio d-actvitors.

But I'm afraid that i'll buy them, and then notice that the difference in sound between them and my stock pups isn't worth the price
Well,heading for the local shop tommorow. Gonna try the duncan sh-5 ,invaders, dimarzios and maybe even the emg hz ^^

btw I looked at some sites and appearantly the emg hz goes for 55euros..
Did i searched for the wrong pick ups or are they just cheap?
Last edited by simbazz at Nov 17, 2009,