I was wondering about two Ibanez's. I like the S470DXQM. But I also like the RG350DX. I have no experiance with Ibanez and I was wondering which one was better, in terms of quality. How are the tremolos on each of them? Does the locking nut actually work? Stuff like that. Help is appreciated

Links:

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG350DX

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S470DXQM
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
i'd go for the S, but you try out both guitars to see which you prefer, also note that the ZR trem is more reliable
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
The S is definitely better speaking tremolo wise. Its overall better imo but I think it would cost more.
PSN: KevGuy47
------▓▓▓▓▓
----▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
----▒▒▒░░
--░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒
------░░░░░░░
----▒▒▒▒▒
--▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒
░░▓▓░░
░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░
░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
----▓▓▓----▓▓▓
--▒▒▒--------▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒--------▒▒▒▒
If I were shopping for a low/mid-range Ibanez with a trem I'd grab an S. The ZR trem is cheaply made, much like the Edge III on the RG's, but due to way it's designed (ball bearings) it's inexpensive nature isn't an issue.

That being said, if I were looking for a low/mid-range Ibanez I'd grab an RG with fixed bridge. S' feel yucky to me.

Keep in mind also that you should be able to find a good used MIJ RG with either an Original Edge or Low-pro Edge for (often less than) the cost of a mid-range S/RG. My RG550 only cost me $150 more than my $200 RG2EX1 and it's a much better instrument.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I own the RG 350mdx and beleive me. the Edge 3 dont even compare to the S's Zr trem. Id go with the S series. its lighter, better trem, more comfortable contours. these are also based on personal opinion and you should gonad play both to see wich you like.

If they both have the ibanez INF pickup series u should definatly look into new pickups as well
Quote by Fridge101
I own the RG 350mdx and beleive me. the Edge 3 dont even compare to the S's Zr trem. Id go with the S series. its lighter, better trem, more comfortable contours. these are also based on personal opinion and you should gonad play both to see wich you like.

If they both have the ibanez INF pickup series u should definatly look into new pickups as well

Anyway, if you have the money for an S470, you could buy a used Prestige model.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
go for the S

i see all the peeps that don`t know how to maintain a double locking trem are out in force again.........

ignore the edge 3 haters
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Nov 15, 2009,
So, the majority is the S470. And you guys say the ZR tremolo is better than the Edge III? How so? And does the locking nut actual work?
yes, the locking nut works

the zr is easier to maintain and adjustment is via the thumbwheel so you always return to a neutral position (in tune), the ball bearings offer less resistance over knife edges.

the guitar is demoed by dave weiner... http://ibanez.com/features/Sdemo
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Nov 15, 2009,
I have also heard the locking nut makes it harder to restring the guitar. Is this true?
i take it you have no experience of double locking trems

in which case read the the floyd rose sticky and the ibanez manual (better reading the prestige manual same principles apply but it`s explained better), you get a tool kit with the guitar, you remove the locking pads on the nut and replace the strings one at a time, tune up, stretch the strings, lock the pads (not overtight) retune using the fine tuners...simples.

a vid is linked for a edge 3 but same principles apply http://ibanez.s3.amazonaws.com/Cms/Bulk/TremHowTo.swf

and the prestige manual http://www.ibanez.com/support/manuals/ibz_03_prestige_manual.pdf

and the manual you`ll get with the guitar http://www.ibanez.com/support/manuals/guitars_w-locking.pdf
Yes, I have no experiance whatsoever
Thanks for that help. But the S is better overall than the RG then?
Quote by guitarlord28
But the S is better overall than the RG then?
Better trem. Everything else is just different.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Would the ZR tremolo unit work very well if I'm doing like, Steve Vai-ish style stuff. You know, weird dives and such? What I mean to say is, will the guitar stay in tune well, and can the ZR handle it?

And, is the S470DXQM a well built guitar? Not a piece of junk?
Quote by guitarlord28
Would the ZR tremolo unit work very well if I'm doing like, Steve Vai-ish style stuff. You know, weird dives and such? What I mean to say is, will the guitar stay in tune well, and can the ZR handle it?

And, is the S470DXQM a well built guitar? Not a piece of junk?
Yep, the ZR will be fine for your purposes.

As for the guitar itself, you'll have a hard time finding any Ibanez above their Gio range that's a piece of junk. There are obviously going to be lemons from any brand though so, as always, it's important to try before you buy or at least make sure the online store you're shopping with has a good return policy.
Quote by Marty Friedman