Poll: Have you tried Absinthe?
Poll Options
View poll results: Have you tried Absinthe?
Yes, I liked it.
78 25%
Yes, I hated it.
31 10%
No, I want to.
80 26%
No, I don't want to.
44 14%
No, I have not tried it, I don't know if I want to.
47 15%
I have never heard of it.
29 9%
Voters: 309.
Page 1 of 4
So, over the course of my years, I've heard mention of an alcohol known as "absinthe". No one I know seems to have tried it, but I've heard that it can cause hallucinations and other weird effects.

Can anyone confirm or deny these claims?

Poll up soon.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by captaincrunk
If you're in the US, don't bother. It's not the same.

Could you elaborate?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

it's a very nice drink, the hallucination stuff is very overhyped, you might experience that a bit with some of the crappy czech absinthe with a super high thujone content, but good absinthe doesn't have nearly enough of it for that to happen, you'd have to drink to the point where you would be having hallucinations from the alcohol anyway.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i have heard of the hallucinations, but i have had tried absinthe from 4 different countries, and have yet to hallucinate.

Still ****s you up though
I've tried it. It's still very debated as to whether there are high enough quantities of Thujone in it to cause hallucinations. I personally didn't get any but i've only ever had a few shots at a time of it and i have always been drinking other things too. Tastes like utter shit aswell.
EDIT: I had the "crazy czech absinthe" mentioned above. 75% abv
Last edited by Rupert1616 at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by captaincrunk
If you're in the US, don't bother. It's not the same.

the legal limit for thujone in the U.S. is slightly higher than the thujone content of most traditional abisnthe, the stuff that's illegal is the nasty eastern european crap I was talking about earlier, and some french/swiss stuff that's had its thujone content bumped up to compete with the nasty crap. You can get perfectly good French and Swiss traditional absinthes here.

ETA, the traditional way to drink absinthe is with sugar and water, not shots, so if you did shots of it and you think it's nasty, you're doing it wrong.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 15, 2009,
If you're interested, read this site: http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/

There's so much mythology around absinthe, but my take on it is that if you drink good absinthe, prepared properly, then it's one of the best drinks you can have, leading to a relaxed, happy drunkenness.
Ceci n'est pas une signature
Had a shot of it once, nothing too special, just reeeeeally strong
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Shit sucked balls when we did it. Taste like shit, smells like shit, overpriced as fuck and nothing cool happened. You better off playing guitar, smoking weed or doing NOTHING
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
I have a bottle of 80% cannabis absinth from Spain. It's a good tipple but does nothing to me that normal alcahol does.
Bands to see before I die:
Again:
Machine Head
Lamb Of God
JFAC
BTBAM
TesseracT
Pendulum

For the First time:
Periphery
Texures
Monuments
Mumford & Sons
The Prodigy
Paolo Nutini

CASTODIUM!!!
myspace.com/castodium
There's a few different 'types' I've tried.

A club round here called Revolutions sells it at £5 a shot, I've tried a few of those. I've tried a bottle of absinthe from Spain, which tasted of nothing, other than pure burn - if you understand.
Tried a cannabis absinthe, which did nothing but give me a headache.

EDIT: And no, it's not hallucinogenic.
Last edited by Kyle.E at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by Random88
Had a shot of it once, nothing too special, just reeeeeally strong

This.

I've tried it in loads of places; forgot to have some when I visited Poland a while ago, but my friends had it and didn't mention any hallucinations, I think that's just a myth.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
No one I know seems to have tried it, but I've heard that it can cause hallucinations and other weird effects.

not the one you can drink nowadays. the real absinthe was made with artemisia absinthium, which had some weird effects like hallucinations and such.
the only way to drink the real thing is to make it yourself or travel back in time to the Decadent movement era.
Peavey Bandit 112
Washburn Chicago series :SD Invader at bridge ,GFS Lil Killer on neck
Bc Rich Warlock :GFS Vintage59 on neck ,Crunchy rails on bridge
Epiphone SG :Tusq Nut, GFS Crunchy Pat on neck, bc rich pickup on bridge
lots of cheap pedals
Not a big fan of it to be honest. It tastes ok if you mix it with cider and blackcurrant, nasty hang over the next day tho
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Last edited by faultyy at Nov 15, 2009,
Cannabis absinth does mess you up big style if you drink a bottle before heading out. Also normal absinth is fun when you add a lighter to it. The fumes are flammable too. Good times.
Quote by itafromhell
not the one you can drink nowadays. the real absinthe was made with artemisia absinthium, which had some weird effects like hallucinations and such.
the only way to drink the real thing is to make it yourself or travel back in time to the Decadent movement era.

Modern absinthe is made with the same stuff dude, in even higher concentrations than the traditional type.

Last.fm
Quote by itafromhell

You can still buy the "real" absinthe, you just have to look in the right places in europe, and it aint legal. I got 90% stuff (no idea what it was) in a clear 2 litre bottle before, harsh times.
Quote by itafromhell

The only reason why it may have been hallucinogenic (other than an obvious placebo) is the people who sold it to consumers, added to it.

But then again. it's like taking an aspirin and saying you tripped balls to it, but forget to mention you crushed it up with PCP.
Quote by MossyMan
You can still buy the "real" absinthe, you just have to look in the right places in europe, and it aint legal. I got 90% stuff (no idea what it was) in a clear 2 litre bottle before, harsh times.

you can buy real absinthe in America and it's perfectly legal, the stuff you are talking about is essentially moonshine.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Modern absinthe is made with the same stuff dude, in even higher concentrations than the traditional type.

i was told that was made no more with artemisia absinthium but with artemisia arborescens, same taste, same color, a LOT less thujone.
But we know that the decadent period was full of opium, and that could be the real hallucination cause...
Peavey Bandit 112
lots of cheap pedals
It's all about the thujone content and the preparation, most people who've tried it haven't had either. It's not about the high alcohol content, that misses the point.
I've had some with a low thujone content (and therefore no hallucinogenic properties) recently, prepared semi-correctly (we didn't have a proper spoon). I would love to get my hands on some proper high thujone absinthe, but I wouldn't know where to get some
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by itafromhell
i was told that was made no more with artemisia absinthium but with artemisia arborescens, same taste, same color, a LOT less thujone.
But we know that the decadent period was full of opium, and that could be the real hallucination cause...

no it has to be made with absinthum to be called absinthe, a lot of the lesser absinthes will have thier thujone content marked directly on the bottle, and it's way higher than what the original types had. In the US there a legal limit on thujone content that's way lower than it is in Europe, but it's still pretty close to how much is in traditional absinthe popularized during the decadent period.

Last.fm
If you drink it properly, using a spoon (maybe even an absinth spoon if you've got one lying around), sugar and water, it's quite a nice drink. I like the 'preparation' that goes into it as well, kind of makes the drink more enjoyable when you've 'made' it yourself.

And as far as the hallucinations go, the information already posted in this thread is true as far as I can tell. But with percentages up to 80/90 I think the alcohol will pretty much smother any other effects when you're shotting it like the drug it essentially is. xD
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It's all about the thujone content and the preparation, most people who've tried it haven't had either. It's not about the high alcohol content, that misses the point.
I've had some with a low thujone content (and therefore no hallucinogenic properties) recently, prepared semi-correctly (we didn't have a proper spoon). I would love to get my hands on some proper high thujone absinthe, but I wouldn't know where to get some

Proper absinthe doesn't have a high thujone content, because using too much wormwood makes it way too bitter.

Last.fm
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Off the island would be my first bet. It is legal in some areas. I know its definitely not legal in the US. Mexico has some, but thats kinda far for you.
I went tasting at the absinthe museum in Antibes once. It's well worth a visit.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Proper absinthe doesn't have a high thujone content, because using too much wormwood makes it way too bitter.

The closest you can get, as I understand, was Pernod 51 but, IIRC, they made have a newer one with thujone content "in line with the current legislation", whatever that means.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
no it has to be made with absinthum to be called absinthe,

Nope, a lot of country let you call absinthe a liquor even if it doesnt contain artemisia absinthium. a bottle of green anise liquor will fool most of who never drinked the real absinthe.
it isnt something protected like Cognac that if isnt made in that specific zone of france it cant be labeled as it (i'm talking for italy, maybe the rest of the world has specific laws about this, but not here.)
Peavey Bandit 112
lots of cheap pedals
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
You won't have any hallucinations, but it's a good way to get drunk fast.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by itafromhell
Nope, a lot of country let you call absinthe a liquor even if it doesnt contain artemisia absinthium. a bottle of green anise liquor will fool most of who never drinked the real absinthe.
it isnt something protected like Cognac that if isnt made in that specific zone of france it cant be labeled as it (i'm talking for italy, maybe the rest of the world has specific laws about this, but not here.)

The U.S. is pretty strict about crap like that, of course it was just made legal here a few years ago so everyone that buys it here tends to do their research.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
The U.S. is pretty strict about crap like that, of course it was just made legal here a few years ago so everyone that buys it here tends to do their research.

Well that's a right thing to do, really, here we have a lot of "protected" food/drinks (wine the most of the time) but only for national food/drinks, everything that gets in from other country isnt really checked if it's the "real thing".
Peavey Bandit 112
lots of cheap pedals
Page 1 of 4