Just wondering if some guitar people can help me out. I have zero theory, I use the theory of "Whatever sounds good to me" for 4 yrs.. which doesn't get me anywhere. If I were to create my own solos based on these songs

Electric Eye - Judas Priest
Hall of the Mountain King - Savatage
Frankenstein - Overkill (or any other band who covered it)

could someone tell me..

- What scales are used
- Prominent techniques/embellishments

I want to learn my own style of guitar solo, And without theory, I want to learn by understanding my favourite solos. Not the best way.. and I know I cant get much help with this, but any help would be appreciated.
you may not like what i have to say, but just read it

get a guitar teacher for about two months and tell him you'd like to learn some theory and how to apply it to guitar. within those two to three months you should learn enough to do what you want
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Quote by basilbrush
just learn theory... it's not rocket science

I want to use this as my first step, to learn the importance of theory on guitar. I know theory is important and helpful, but If i learn to create solos off songs with little theory it'll show me why its so helpful. Learning theory is boring since I didn't learn it from the beginning, so this will hopefully motivate me.
Quote by Jammin'
you may not like what i have to say, but just read it

get a guitar teacher for about two months and tell him you'd like to learn some theory and how to apply it to guitar. within those two to three months you should learn enough to do what you want

That was my first choice, but Ive made a bad relationship with the guitar shop when I worked their with the owner about him being greedy/ripping people off . So really I have no where to go, and their's no independent guitar teachers here. So internet is sadly the only place
Quote by steeper
Ive made a bad relationship with the guitar shop when I worked their with the owner about him being greedy/ripping people off . So really I have no where to go, and their's no independent guitar teachers here. So internet is sadly the only place

^ that is sad.

Quote by steeper
I use the theory of "Whatever sounds good to me" for 4 yrs.. which doesn't get me anywhere..

It gets you somewhere if you're listening.

If you want to learn theory though, and you have some issues getting a teacher or taking a class...... Pick up a book. You can order one online, like at amazon or something.

This might be a good place to start...
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Theory-Dummies-Michael-Pilhofer/dp/0764578383
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 15, 2009,