I have an argument essay due soon for my Communications 1 class, and I wanted to see what The Pit had to say on this topic, as well as stimulate some healthy debate about the topic.

This topic is not about those still in prison, or those that have committed misdemeanors, etc. I'm talking about convicted felons who have been released from prison. Should they be allowed to vote?

Personally, I believe they should be given the right to vote. They are still citizens.

By the way, I used the searchbar. Nothing of this exact topic came up. The others included inmates and/or misdemeanors.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Yes, they should be allowed to vote.

Prison should be about rehabilitation and looking forward, not scratching up years on the wall being told to feel sorry for what they did.
Who was poll?

It's a deffo yes from me. I mean, really, what are we afraid is gonna happen? All the felons will vote for each other or something?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Definitely yes. There's no right to take that ability from them.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Yes. The purpose of prison should be to keep the from violating the rights of others any further while rehabilitating them. There is nothing to be gained from depriving them of their rights any further than that.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Only Republicans shouldn't be allowed to vote...

But seriously, I do think that felons should be allowed to vote, as prison serves to create a better citizen, and better citizens express their mind through voting among other things.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Well they're still citizens, but if they can't even decide what's right for themselves, why should they decide what's right for the city/state/country?
yes, idk how it could happen though, because the only voting base that could pressure a congressman to pass that bill is well... not allowed to vote
Quote by The Shroom420
Well they're still citizens, but if they can't even decide what's right for themselves, why should they decide what's right for the city/state/country?

If we thought felons could not be rehabilitated, why would we release them from prison in the first place?
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by blue_strat
Yes, they should be allowed to vote.

Prison should be about rehabilitation and looking forward, not scratching up years on the wall being told to feel sorry for what they did.

This. Personally, I disapprove of the way people get treated in prison. They aren't safe, and when the inmates are let out, they have a very high chance of going straight back because the government turns them to the streets with nothing but a felony on their record.

No job, no home, and no family. The former inmate can't support themselves unless they quickly join a gang or get in contact with any gang they were in during prison. Then, they can lie, cheat, steal, and kill until they have enough money to buy food again.

The point is, the whole idea of prison is just annihilated by the fact that nobody helps them get back on their feet afterwords.
Quote by The.new.guy
This. Personally, I disapprove of the way people get treated in prison. They aren't safe, and when the inmates are let out, they have a very high chance of going straight back because the government turns them to the streets with nothing but a felony on their record.

No job, no home, and no family. The former inmate can't support themselves unless they quickly join a gang or get in contact with any gang they were in during prison. Then, they can lie, cheat, steal, and kill until they have enough money to buy food again.

The point is, the whole idea of prison is just annihilated by the fact that nobody helps them get back on their feet afterwords.

Help people? What do you think this is, the People's Republic of America?
Yes. If you serve your time in jail you should get your rights back.

I also agree that prisoners should be rehabilitated.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Last edited by element4433 at Nov 15, 2009,
Yes. After all, it's society's fault they're criminals!

I'm only half joking there.
Matter is void. All is vanity. All is nothing. Nothing exists.

But damn does whisky rule
absolutely, the only rights they should have restricted are gun rights, and then only on certain cases.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Of course they should.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
absolutely, the only rights they should have restricted are gun rights, and then only on certain cases.

Agreed. I'm assuming felons deal with enough shit after serving their time as it is, too.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Quote by dylanfromearth
yes, idk how it could happen though, because the only voting base that could pressure a congressman to pass that bill is well... not allowed to vote

And all the people like the ones in this thread who support it...

Also, voting is far from the only way to pressure and take part in government.
Quote by Spitz13
Why shouldnt they be allowed to vote?

Prison serves two purposes. One to punish the criminal for his/her actions and secondly, rehabilitate them so, after their release, they don't try to commit these crimes again, but instead try to integrate with society, like every other law abiding citizen.

To risk sounding cliche, once they are out of prison, they have served their time. Restricting their voting rights is ludicrous.

A more interesting discussion would be if people on parole should be allowed to vote, imo
Yes. They still live in the country and they've served their sentence... Unless their women or short men, in which case they should be forced to work in coal mines.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
If you think that they shouldn't vote, you're very soon going down on a slippery rope as far as democracy is concerned...

What makes you a felon is defined by laws. Laws are not the end-of-all objective pillar for what necessarily is morally right, so a government can keep passing some dodgy laws that might criminalize a certain group of people that normally wouldn't vote their party.
I am a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically.
I don't see why not...
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
I'm just wondering by a lot of these posts: Do you guys know that felons currently can't vote and that this isn't just a proposition he's making?
Quote by Spitz13
Quote by Uranutan
I'm just wondering by a lot of these posts: Do you guys know that felons currently can't vote and that this isn't just a proposition he's making?

I do. I think it's pretty well known that felons can't vote.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
I do. I think it's pretty well known that felons can't vote.

Just checking, because no one in the thread really made that clear.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised by the unanimity of opinion in this thread, especially compared to that other thread on criminals' rights.
Quote by Spitz13