Hey guys. I'm currently using a Line 6 Spider III. Yes, I know that's my problem, I don't like it that much either. Moving on, I play my guitar through a Boss MT-2 dist pedal. Now for the problem:

My tone is REALLY muddy when I play chords repeatedly with distortion. Like, my friend and I were playing a part in a song we made that had a really simple chord progression (drop D):

D- 0h2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2h3p2 2...
A- 0h2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2h3p2 2...
D- 0h2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2h3p2 2...

It was really hard to tell that there was actually any strumming going on when I played, it just sounded like this one sustained tone, it was really hard to distinguish that I was strumming multiple times. Now, I thought that it might be the pedal, so I played through my amp's normal distortion(s) and the problem was even worse. Ergo, it's not the pedal. I HIGHLY doubt it's the cables either, so I've concluded that it's the amp. What should I do, just take it to the shop?

Another note: The cleans are perfectly clear and sound good, and when I only play single notes (IE: not chords) with distortion I can hear them clearer than chords, albiet it's still a bit muddy.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Last edited by Nico the Great at Nov 15, 2009,
Not much. Usually the knob (on the pedal) is between 10 and 12 o'clock. The gain knob is completely off on the amp though, it doesn't give much.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
What are your settings? Usually muddy sound is due to the mids, so mess around with them for a bit and see if it sounds any better. Also, what is your guitar?
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom