I'm looking into moving onto an audio interface so I can get some real mics up and recording. My teacher who is into recording stuff recommends only to get a firewire audio interface and to stay away from usb. He also recommends investing with one with enough preamp inputs so I won't have to upgrade for a long time, and get one with at least 4 inputs along with a shure sm57and58. Is firewire generally better, and from these interfaces would you recommend them?
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=184131V
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-ProFire-2626?sku=241817
Firewire is generally a better technology.

the firewire bus has its own controller chip, and doesn't take up CPU resources in the way USB does.

there is also a difference in the way USB and Firewire transmit data.
USB sends data in packets whereas Firewire sends in a continuous stream.
Be wary of Firewire, I failed to get my Focusrite Saffire working with my RICOH firewire chip. It's considered to be the better option as long as its all compatiable with your pc.
Thanks for the explanations, how many inputs would you say I would need on a audio interface? I play in a metal band so drums are the most miked instrument, should I go all out on like a 8 input one, or just buy like a 4 input and not have the entire kit miked?
Quote by teethdude
Thanks for the explanations, how many inputs would you say I would need on a audio interface? I play in a metal band so drums are the most miked instrument, should I go all out on like a 8 input one, or just buy like a 4 input and not have the entire kit miked?

Don't skimp, you're going to want at least 8, you can do it with 4 but it wont sound pretty.

Firewire is less stable than USB, but any high end interface uses Firewire so thats the compromise, you're going to want some sort of TI chip equiped firewire card interfacing with the unit (Texas Instruments) and the Profires are generally considered to sound better and be more reliable than the Firepods.
Last edited by Beefmo at Nov 15, 2009,
True, beware of any firewire chipset other than Texas Instruments.
i've personally had great results with a Ricih chipset, but many people run into problems

contrary to Beefmo, i would say that Firewire is inherently more stable than USB, when it works

as for inputs, get as many as you will need, and try to get something with ADAT input too, so you can expand with a set of ADAT-out preamps later on.
Quote by TheDriller

contrary to Beefmo, i would say that Firewire is inherently more stable than USB, when it works

I think that statement is an oxymoron right there
i can't say that i've ever really had problems with firewire (though i use macs 100% of the time). if you're going to be recording a drumset, you definitely want as many inputs as you can afford.

that being said, having 8 inputs to mic drums is only going to work if you've got 8 mics.
Quote by Beefmo
I think that statement is an oxymoron right there

I think we're misunderstanding each other a little

what im saying is that with firewire, you get much more reliable performance at smaller buffer sizes,
however, there are the issues with some firewire chipsets, that cna cause problems for audio.

to say that firewire is "less stable" because of that is like saying that Ferraris suck because they run into difficulties when driven at the bottom of the ocean.
Quote by TheDriller
I think we're misunderstanding each other a little

what im saying is that with firewire, you get much more reliable performance at smaller buffer sizes,
however, there are the issues with some firewire chipsets, that cna cause problems for audio.

to say that firewire is "less stable" because of that is like saying that Ferraris suck because they run into difficulties when driven at the bottom of the ocean.

Yeah I get what you're saying, I don't think either of us is wrong here, we're just speaking from different contexts.

What I meant by less stable is less likely to work in the first place, definitely the reason we use firewire for high end audio purposes, as you are saying, is that for general recording it has more stability than usb when it comes to digital conversion and signal flow.
Quote by Beefmo
Yeah I get what you're saying, I don't think either of us is wrong here, we're just speaking from different contexts.

What I meant by less stable is less likely to work in the first place, definitely the reason we use firewire for high end audio purposes, as you are saying, is that for general recording it has more stability than usb when it comes to digital conversion and signal flow.

Yep we're in agreement