how to tune guitar to drop d without getting loose strings?

i have an ibanez grg170dx
it has a tremolo
and string gauge is 9-42
i usually play in standard tuning but sometimes i need to tune to drop d.
but when i tune to drop d my strings get too loose.
what should i do?
i want to play in both tunings with this guitar. maybe i should change my 6th string to a thicker gauge?
i have a tremolo so if i change tuning on one string the tuning of other strings change too.
so what do you recommend? to change strings to a different gauge, if so, then what gauge?

thank you!
Higher gauge of strings? Longer scale length? (New guitar)
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Quote by Sguit
You can't do drop tunings with that, only down tunings (like down 1/2 step, whole step etc.)

Shit, now I don't want one. ):
no, i dont need any effects. im thinking about changing strings. but i dont know what gauge should i buy.
i had 10-46 it was ok with drop tunings but when i played in standard it was too tight, my tremolo lifted up.

so maybe i should change only my 6th and 5th strings to a thicker gauge?
Quote by scream92
no, i dont need any effects. im thinking about changing strings. but i dont know what gauge should i buy.
i had 10-46 it was ok with drop tunings but when i played in standard it was too tight, my tremolo lifted up.

i love the way 9-46s feel so i use those. however i like to drop tune a lot so i changed the 46 to a 52 and it works perfectly for drop tuning. you should give something like that a try.
Quote by scream92

Maybe add a spring to your tremolo to keep it from lifting?
i had 10-46 and those were really tight, then i tried 9-46 and those were still too tight for me, my tremolo went up quite a lot.

9-46 was alright for drop c tho.
so what should i do? i want to play in both tunings, standard and drop d...
it would be easier if i had a guitar without a tremolo.
Quote by scream92

If your trem lifted up, you need to learn how to set it up...

You should just be able to open the back trem cover and tighten the springs down and you'll be fine... If you don't use the trem, put a block of wood behind it and tighten the springs down a good bit and then it won't move.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Nov 15, 2009,
You have to level the trem afterwards by tightening/loosening the screws in the back of the guitar. There should be no reason your trem cant take higher thickness strings.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

i know that but wouldnt it be too loose for standard tuning then?

if i changed the tremolo level/tightness then my tremolo would lay low. does it affect anything? i mean is it important to have a tremolo in balance? not too high , not too low?
Quote by scream92
i know that but wouldnt it be too loose for standard tuning then?

if i changed the tremolo level/tightness then my tremolo would lay low. does it affect anything? i mean is it important to have a tremolo in balance? not too high , not too low?

Well, that's how it it supposed to be. It will take a whilte to get used to standard gauge strings, but you'll be fine.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412