Pretty much what the title says. I think it's a pretty good cheap guitar that would be great after some hardware changes (tuners & pickups), but I dunno what's the usual price they're sold for used.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
I really shouldn't be spending money.. but this seems like a really good deal, which is triggering my GAS.... oooh what to do, what to do..
Blackstar HT-5
I got mine as a b-stock for $220 or something. They're regularly sold for $299.99 though.

I love mine, it's a great playing guitar that really came alive with a new set of pickups. That and it's cheap enough that I don't really feel bad about modding the hell out of it.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Nov 15, 2009,
Yep, then sell your GRX20 and get your money back!
Brasil.

Quote by Daneeka
I heard there is uranium gas in the tubes. So you could easily make a little nuclear blast. If i were you, i wouldn't want to start the World War III.

THE SHORT BACK AND SIDES !!!

Fender Jaguar HH
Digitech RP355
I very seriously considered that.... but my GRX20 has a some sentimental value, being my first electric and all that jazz D;
Blackstar HT-5
Seriously, I know how you felt. I didnt *need* My RGT, but at the price I paid for it, I had to get it, and it fills the niche of having a second guitar for a passive setup that replaced my GAX70.

So.. Id say go for it.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Agh. Decisions... I'll give myself a night to think about it tho. This would fill my niche for a 24 fret. My GRX20 does for the humbucking part, my Fender strat does for the single coils, and I prefer fixed bridges (I blocked the trems on my current guitars).
Blackstar HT-5
Last edited by Lekz at Nov 16, 2009,
Quote by Lekz
Agh. Decisions... I'll give myself a night to think about it tho. This would fill my niche for a 24 fret. My GRX20 does for the humbucking part, my Fender strat does for the single coils, and I prefer fixed bridges (I blocked the trems on my current guitars).

RG2EX1 rhymes with pull the trigger bitch!
So dear sirs...

I just pulled the trigger! My friend subsidized half of it as my birthday present... ASDFGADSFadsfasdfhbasdfgasyufasdGFAERfrdafg!!!

I'm a mix of EXTREMELY JUMP-OFF-A-PLANE-AND-SWIM-ACROSS-THE-ATLANTIC HAPPY and OMG I SPENT MONEY D:!!!
Blackstar HT-5
Last edited by Lekz at Nov 16, 2009,
RG2EX1 + HT-5 = happy

trust me
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I will trust you, sir.
Blackstar HT-5
So what do you guys think would be good pickups to put in this baby? I don't think I would do it any time soon.... really don't want to spend any more money hehehe...

I was thinking the SD JB/'59 combo... I've also thought about putting GFS pickups rather than brand-name ones... I've heard they're really good, but I wouldn't know which ones to choose.
Blackstar HT-5
What kind of music do you play? I'm always partial to putting Dimarzio pickups into Ibanez guitars. It always just seems, I dunno, right.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
What kind of music do you play? I'm always partial to putting Dimarzio pickups into Ibanez guitars. It always just seems, I dunno, right.
I play pretty much anything I like, which encompasses a lot of genres... so I like versatility . I know what you mean about dimarzios on ibanez... it DOES feel like you can't put anything but dimarzios in them... must be cause so many ibanez players use dimarzios, maybe? I searched up the dimarzios you put on your rg2ex1 and they seem like a versatile combo.
Blackstar HT-5
The Super Distortion is a good pickup fo sho and you can never go wrong with an Air Norton. If I had to do it all over though, I'd probably go for a PAF Pro and an Air Norton.

It's also worth saying that while new pickups are great and everything, you should really consider adding some new pots and resistors since you'll be busy with the soldering iron anyway. If your guitar is like mine then it'll come with linear taper pots which are completely useless for getting the guitar to clean up with the volume knob.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Last edited by ch0 at Nov 17, 2009,
Yea, I'm likely changing the pots and most of the electronics. That's what I did with my GRX20 when I swapped the pups: changed the pots to 500k Audio Taper the tone one with push/pull. What kind of pots do you suggest for PAF Pro/Air Norton or Super Dist/Air Norton? 500k?
Blackstar HT-5
For $176 I'd definitley take that offer, as far as the DMZ pickups go...you can do it. I've done it.
Quote by Lekz
Yea, I'm likely changing the pots and most of the electronics. That's what I did with my GRX20 when I swapped the pups: changed the pots to 500k Audio Taper the tone one with push/pull. What kind of pots do you suggest for PAF Pro/Air Norton or Super Dist/Air Norton? 500k?
CTS 500K is what everyone keeps saying. I'm actually still running all the stock electronics in my RG2EX1 except for the pickups. It sucks, all the knobs are basically useless and I'm not fond of the Ibanez switching system when there's no single coil in the middle.

Whatever though, in the very near future I'll be changing this guitar up quite a bit. 3-way switch instead of the 5-way, remove the tone pot (never use it anyways, just going to wire in some resistors to get that 'always-on-10' sound), move the volume down to the tone pot's hole, and install a toggle where the volume knob would normally be to control the pickups coil-tapping. If I enjoy the outcome I may go even further and wire it up like the AR300RE with the two pickup controls for hum/tap/parallel.

Gotta love the liberties you feel comfortable taking when you've got an inexpensive guitar.
Quote by Marty Friedman
she just came in, and she's AMAZING! plus BEAUTIFUL!! WOoowwwww seriouslyyyyy!!! I'll NGD with many pics tomorrow when I have time :'D
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Lekz
she just came in, and she's AMAZING! plus BEAUTIFUL!! WOoowwwww seriouslyyyyy!!! I'll NGD with many pics tomorrow when I have time :'D
Quote by Marty Friedman