hi, i have just brought a gibson les paul studio in alpine white and its is awesome. before buying this guitar i also brough a set of EMG 81 & 85................. should i switch out the stocks 490R and 498T? i play metal, punk and some classic rock, and would be going with the 18v EMG mod if switching.
Please give me some ideas
If you like the sound of EMGs, go for it. I would suggest getting someone with experience to help you in the swap if you don't have much experience in this.
Personally, I'd put passive seymour duncans, but that's just me :P
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
if the stock pickups will cut it then i'd keep those. i'm not a big fan of EMGs, so i don't want to sound biased. but i really do believe passives are more versatile. anyway, if you're looking for some serious punch i don't think there's any question that EMGs do that the best. all depends on what you think of the stock pickups
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
NOOOO!!!!!

The Gibson Pickups are great for it. Tweek your amp a bit if you need to.
If the 498T is anything like the 500T in the bridge of my Flying V, there's no need to swap it out. It's one of my favorite OEM pickups out there and it sounds raunchy/dirty with great harmonics. However I did swap out the 496R in my neck for a Seymour Duncan 59' for it's cleans and clarity.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
yeah, i had the normal 490r 498t setup in my old les paul, and stupid me wanted to change the pickups, i wish i kept the stockers back in there, id probably still have that guitar if i did.
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
imo, the emg's are 'cleaner' than the stock pickups, especially with the 18v mod. i played a friend's lp with my old stock gibson pickups in it, and they're really hot and aggressive.

if you like the sound now, keep them in. i just don't know why you bought an emg set.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008